Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Sent from Laurier:

Good morning, Rebecca
It is not our policy to inform applicants of the decision via phone or email. However, decisions were made earlier than expected and the decision letters were mailed last Thursday. You should be receiving notification within the next couple of days.
Regards,
Lynn

Sent from Laurier:

Good morning, Rebecca
It is not our policy to inform applicants of the decision via phone or email. However, decisions were made earlier than expected and the decision letters were mailed last Thursday. You should be receiving notification within the next couple of days.
Regards,
Lynn

Hi Rebecca, are you applying to the 2 year program?

Does anyone here know how many people typically apply to U of Windsor (2 yr MSW) and how many people they take? I want to figure out the odds of getting accepted and I dont know the numbers for this school.

I guess I could call them tomorrow and ask, but I just thought I'd ask here first.

thanks 

Your situation sounds much like mine! Except you're about .1 ahead of me in terms of GPA. But I also have about a years worth of paid research experience and I've only volunteered for about year. Aside from that I have a lot of personal experience that I think might benefit me but I'm still not sure if I am a competitive applicant. 

Best of luck to you! :)

Thank you, and best of luck to you too. What kind of research did you do?

My research is on quantitative analysis. 

Just fyi to those applying to UofT.  Last year I had contacted them to ask what the going average was for those admitted to the program.  The answer I got: "high B+"  was the 'average'.  This of course means that you have many people admitted above and below that.  I presume that those with a weaker gpa get in due to strong experience etc. Also, people with A- averages have been waitlisted/rejected in the past.  I guess it boils down to how well you demonstrated your fit with the program.  For instance, if you say you're interested in AOP but they focus on research, you may not get admitted even though you have a killer gpa.

The good news is that we are now in Feb so we are inching closer to decisions!  Hang in there, guys.... :)  

I do hope I am a good fit for U of T. It's my first choice and my interest is research, and I did state this in my written statement but I emphasized my focus on quantitative methods. I do hope this doesn't lessen my chances of being accepted  :o

Does anyone here know how many people typically apply to U of Windsor (2 yr MSW) and how many people they take? I want to figure out the odds of getting accepted and I dont know the numbers for this school.   I guess I could call them tomorrow and ask, but I just thought I'd ask here first.   thanks 
Windsor takes 30 students and last year they had 180 applicants.

Hi MSW_CU, I can't say specifically what the GPA is, I wouldn't be surprised if someone got in with a B+, I think the experience definitely is a huge component of the application. 

As for foucaultmania, I think the MSW is popular in Canada because it's almost the only way to make a decent salary as a social worker, also opens up just about every door in the social work field - hospitals, school boards, private counselling etc. 

Hi I was wondering how they contacted you to let you know your admission status -or did u check online?

Thanks for the info, AccioMSW. So it looks like most schools have spots for about 18% of all applicants, but I'm sure the number goes up to at least 20% (or maybe even 25%) due to the people who get more than one offer and need to turn some schools down.

I would have applied to schools in the US as well - I hear it's less competitive in the US as there are more social work schools to accomodate interested applicants - but it's so expensive out there. I wish you and everyone else good luck and patience in this process. No matter how things turn out, I will just be happy for the wait to end and to know the results one way or another, so I can make some concrete plans for the fall. 

Thanks for the info, AccioMSW. So it looks like most schools have spots for about 18% of all applicants, but I'm sure the number goes up to at least 20% (or maybe even 25%) due to the people who get more than one offer and need to turn some schools down.   I would have applied to schools in the US as well - I hear it's less competitive in the US as there are more social work schools to accomodate interested applicants - but it's so expensive out there. I wish you and everyone else good luck and patience in this process. No matter how things turn out, I will just be happy for the wait to end and to know the results one way or another, so I can make some concrete plans for the fall. 
Thank you and best of luck to you as well as everyone else on this forum. I went to Windsor's info session and they said acceptances can go out until the end of August as multiple rounds of acceptances go out as people turn them down. I'm the same way, I just want to know so I can plan for the future. I'm a very organized person so I hate not knowing! April can't come fast enough although the advanced standing acceptances have gone out already so hopefully the process will go by quickly now!

Thanks that really helps. I know this question is a bit hard to answer, but what would you say is a good GPA to apply with?

Sorry I didnt reply sooner, life has been a bit hectic lately.

I think Calgary lists their cutoff as a B average. I dont know about other applicants, but I had an overall average of between an A- and an A, and an A average in my last two years.

I think SW schools tend to weigh work/life/volunteer experience pretty heavily as well, so Im sure admissions criteria vary from program to program.

For what it is worth, last year I applied to three schools - was accepted to U of C and WLU and waitlisted and ultimately rejected from York.

I received my letter from Laurier today, informing me that I am waitlisted for the advanced standing program.  They advised me that I would need to submit any outstanding grades (I am still in the process of completing the last semester of my degree, including my research requirement) when they become available.  I am confident and hopeful I will make it!!

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say for those that have applied there as well. :)

Congratulations on being waitlisted! If you dont mind me asking, what kind of experience do you have? I'm also an advanced standing applicant and I am trying to get a handle on how I compare to other applicants. It has been a while since I graduated and I dont know a single soul who applied this year.  I didn't apply to Laurier but I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from U of T!

I received my letter from Laurier today, informing me that I am waitlisted for the advanced standing program.  They advised me that I would need to submit any outstanding grades (I am still in the process of completing the last semester of my degree, including my research requirement) when they become available.  I am confident and hopeful I will make it!!

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say for those that have applied there as well. :)

I applied to the 1 year condensed BSW at Lakehead and I also applied to the 2 year MSW in Windsor. I had a B+ average in my upper year classes. I have also taken 4 stats classes and 3 research classes on top of that. I also have had 5 years experience coaching kids with disabilities and being a director of recreation for children in families with poverty. Anyone have any idea what my chances are for the Windsor MSW?

I applied to the 1 year condensed BSW at Lakehead and I also applied to the 2 year MSW in Windsor. I had a B+ average in my upper year classes. I have also taken 4 stats classes and 3 research classes on top of that. I also have had 5 years experience coaching kids with disabilities and being a director of recreation for children in families with poverty. Anyone have any idea what my chances are for the Windsor MSW?

I'm applying to the Windsor 2 year program as well. I have a B+ average overall but a A- to A the courses they use to calculate GPA. I've only taken one stats and one research methods class but I'm not sure if that has any more bearing on an application. I have worked in camp settings, as a resource counsellor for children with disabilities for 3 years and a director of the camp for 2. I have intermittent volunteer experiences all over the place (enabling gardens, women's shelters, judicary systems, sex health education) although most of these have been quite short. I am also currently writing my honours thesis on special education in Ontario - mainly on special educational supports for Autism. I really want to get into Windsor as well but I am FREAKING out! Applications to social work seem to be so subjective in terms of the experiences aspect (some looking at number of hours, relevant work). 

I have no idea of the chances at any school but I'm sure you're in the running! What area of interest did you pick?

I chose the child welfare stream. I also applied to the M.Ed counselling psychology program and got in, but the job market for that is so unstable. So who knows, all i know is that waiting for UofT is killing me!

I chose the child welfare stream. I also applied to the M.Ed counselling psychology program and got in, but the job market for that is so unstable. So who knows, all i know is that waiting for UofT is killing me!

Well that acceptance must be nice to have! Must mean you have some stellar qualifications! I'm sure that bods well for the MSW :) 

Has anyone heard anything about U of T? (lol, I think I post this question every few days).  It's torture waiting...and waiting...and waiting....

I know the website says advanced standing applicants should find out by mid March and 2yrs by mid April but from past years, it looks like some found out in late Feb/early March.

Is anyone brave enough to call and ask if decisions have been made?? (ya, I'm a total chicken)