Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

So does anyone have a plan B, C, D, etc?

Obviously Plan A is to make it into my top choice and Plan B is for my second choice.

My Plan C was to take the year to do a lot more volunteer work until I reapply (if I don't get in).

Last week I applied to an accelerated Child and Youth worker program out of sheer panic that I won't be getting in anywhere because I need to know I'll be doing something for the next year and a half haha, so that's plan D.

Plan F is to travel.

My plan A is getting into a M.S.W. program (fingers crossed)

Plan B is a graduate certificate program for a year in youth corrections and interventions + working at an organization that helps people with developmental challenges in the summer + volunteering throughout the year (So far, this is what's happening as I've already gotten into the program) 

Plan C was a graduate certificate program in Victimology

My plan D was to take an accelerated Social Service Work program at Seneca, but the campus is in king city and a 2 hour commute from me. It also starts in May and my last exam of undergrad is the last week of April so I declined the acceptance. It would've been my plan B if it wasn't for the commute and lack of freedom after graduation. 

Plan E was to just work part time and volunteer as much as humanly possible haha 

I like to think any plan other than do absolutely nothing will pay off in the end! 

My plan A is an MSW.

Plan B is a 12 mth BSW, work for 2 yrs, then a 1 yr MSW. This time I would splurge and even go to the US if needed, as it's only 1 yr long and won't keep me in debt for 30 yrs. 

Plan C is 12 mth college diploma in Work and Career Counselling.    

But I'm not yet sure what I'd do if I got into a Master of Counselling, a BSW and no MSW. Perhaps an MA, followed by a BSW??? 

No matter what happens, I am determined to be back in school by September. I think 9 applications should be enough to get into something by next fall.

Edited by jenste

My Plan A is an MSW too! :)

Plan B is working for a year, taking on contract/part-time social work jobs or maternity leave vacancies, and volunteering.  I'll pursue Plan A again next year.

Don't have a Plan C.

After getting rejected last year, I'm currently doing my plan 'B'.  If this doesn't work, I'll have to go on to plan 'C' which is to go back to work full time.

Edited by MSW13

Hi Jenste,

You can quote a post by clicking the 'quote' tab on the lower right hand of the original post.  The quote will appear in your message box.

My plan B is to improve my gpa.  I've taken a bunch of courses and now have a solid A average. I'm hoping that it will be enough to get me in the door, but you never know with this process!

What is your plan B, MSW13?

And could you or someone else tell me... how do you quote another poster when you are posting something on the forum? I tried but it did not work.

Thanks! BTW, your GPA sounds really great. Sounds like you have a really good shot at getting in. I'm hoping my A- avg will be enough and my work experience, although it's not in social work. How does one get a job in social work without a BSW? I tried but I just couldn't find anything.

Hi Jenste,

You can quote a post by clicking the 'quote' tab on the lower right hand of the original post.  The quote will appear in your message box.

My plan B is to improve my gpa.  I've taken a bunch of courses and now have a solid A average. I'm hoping that it will be enough to get me in the door, but you never know with this process!

Thanks for your supportive words, I hope you're right!   An A- average is awesome! Regarding work experience, I think it is often enough to demonstrate that you've worked with people in challenging situations. This could be as a camp counsellor, volunteering at a social service agency or with at risk populations, etc.  In Ontario (not sure about the rest of Canada) you cannot be employed under the title 'social worker' without at least BSW. So really it would be impossible for people to have 'social work' experience when applying to any 2yr MSW program.  I hope that makes sense...

If you are looking for relevant jobs, you can do a search on the 'Charity Village' website.  I haven't looked at it in quite a while but I recall that there were a lot of job postings for people who want to get into employed in the social services. 

Thanks! BTW, your GPA sounds really great. Sounds like you have a really good shot at getting in. I'm hoping my A- avg will be enough and my work experience, although it's not in social work. How does one get a job in social work without a BSW? I tried but I just couldn't find anything.

Thanks! I'll check out that website for sure.   

Even though I have 5 years of experience in a hospital, I couldn't apply to Calgary or Carleton because they want lots of experience in the social services. Fortunately, the other schools were ok because they look for experience in the human services. 

Thanks for your supportive words, I hope you're right!   An A- average is awesome! Regarding work experience, I think it is often enough to demonstrate that you've worked with people in challenging situations. This could be as a camp counsellor, volunteering at a social service agency or with at risk populations, etc.  In Ontario (not sure about the rest of Canada) you cannot be employed under the title 'social worker' without at least BSW. So really it would be impossible for people to have 'social work' experience when applying to any 2yr MSW program.  I hope that makes sense...

If you are looking for relevant jobs, you can do a search on the 'Charity Village' website.  I haven't looked at it in quite a while but I recall that there were a lot of job postings for people who want to get into employed in the social services. 

Hi Jenste,

Where did you hear that Carleton does not view hospital experience as relevant? I too, have five years experience in a hospital and I was told such experience was very relevant. Especially for those applicants wanting to work in health care.

Even though I have 5 years of experience in a hospital, I couldn't apply to Calgary or Carleton because they want lots of experience in the social services. Fortunately, the other schools were ok because they look for experience in the human services.

What sort of work experience do you have in a hospital? I don't have a BSW, but I have "social work" type experience, including working at the Children' Hospital in Calgary as a Mental Health Therapy Assistant. Just curious :) 

I'm a transportation worker, so my job is to work with nurses and orderlies to help transfer patients between areas of the hospital.... ICU, OR, Emergency etc.

That sounds like a great job you have!

What sort of work experience do you have in a hospital? I don't have a BSW, but I have "social work" type experience, including working at the Children' Hospital in Calgary as a Mental Health Therapy Assistant. Just curious :)

I am a nursing assistant. According to the Calgary website, your experience needs to be related to counselling. My work experience is not even close to the suggested job titles on the website so I did not apply. I even showed the website to a friend who is a PhD  Psychologist and researcher and he said according to the info on the website I don't have the right kind of experience and it would probably be a waste of time to apply to this school.

I don't remember the details of what I read on the Carlton website, but I believe you need 3500 hrs doing social work type of experience and I only have a bit of volunteer work in this area. Are you telling me that I could have applied and been considered a candidate? I have about 400 internship hrs in a related area (but the website says internship hrs can't be included) and about 400-500 counselling hrs as a volunteer so it seemed to me that I was very short on hours.

Hi Jenste,

Where did you hear that Carleton does not view hospital experience as relevant? I too, have five years experience in a hospital and I was told such experience was very relevant. Especially for those applicants wanting to work in health care.

Edited by jenste

Hello again Jenste,

You are right about needing at least 3500 hours of experience for a competitive application to Carleton, and moreover, community placement hours from schools must not be included.

However, "social work related experience" simply means working in the vulnerable sector in some way shape or form with populations that have problems. This includes hospitals, correctional institutions, social service agencies, crisis lines, and the list goes on and on...

I am a nursing assistant. According to the Calgary website, your experience needs to be related to counselling. My work experience is not even close to the suggested job titles on the website so I did not apply. I even showed the website to a friend who is a PhD Psychologist and researcher and he said according to the info on the website I don't have the right kind of experience and it would probably be a waste of time to apply to this school.

I don't remember the details of what I read on the Carlton website, but I believe you need 3500 hrs doing social work type of experience and I only have a bit of volunteer work in this area. Are you telling me that I could have applied and been considered a candidate? I have about 400 internship hrs in a related area (but the website says internship hrs can't be included) and about 400-500 counselling hrs as a volunteer so it seemed to me that I was very short on hours.

MSW-CU,

You are right about Carleton. I just called and they told me my experience is fine. If I do not get accepted to a school this year, I will not be happy about missing out on that opportunity, especially because they probably receive fewer applications than some other schools due to all of that experience that you need. I really think their website should be clearer and I probably should have called last year just to double check.

I also called Calgary and was told that my experience is not quite what they are looking for and given the high level of competition and strong applications they receive, it would be very hard to get in if I applied. So I definitely made the right decision about Calgary.

Hello again Jenste,

You are right about needing at least 3500 hours of experience for a competitive application to Carleton, and moreover, community placement hours from schools must not be included.

However, "social work related experience" simply means working in the vulnerable sector in some way shape or form with populations that have problems. This includes hospitals, correctional institutions, social service agencies, crisis lines, and the list goes on and on...

I think applying next year is a really good idea, if all else fails. Good luck to you!

MSW-CU,

You are right about Carleton. I just called and they told me my experience is fine. If I do not get accepted to a school this year, I will not be happy about missing out on that opportunity, especially because they probably receive fewer applications than some other schools due to all of that experience that you need. I really think their website should be clearer and I probably should have called last year just to double check.

I also called Calgary and was told that my experience is not quite what they are looking for and given the high level of competition and strong applications they receive, it would be very hard to get in if I applied. So I definitely made the right decision about Calgary.

Another rant....

So when I first started gathering my thoughts about what I wanted to do after my undergrad degree I first landed on law school. I wanted to get involved and work in disability/family/education law and policy. Then I found some awesome MSW/JD combined programs which I thought were perfect! Then I quickly realized, after talking to many mentors and supervisors (some of which are social workers and some lawyers) said that it would be taking A LOT on at the same time. I also realized that my end goal of working in policy in those fields can easily be done with a wonderful MSW degree AND getting a well rounded education at the same time (counselling individuals and groups AND policy, the best!). 

But now I am realizing and seeing that the MSW programs seem to be WAY more competitive than the law programs and feel kind of like kicking myself. I know that I way prefer the MSW to the JD since those three years would be torture taking random classes I am not interested in just so I could work in a certain niche field. But this is my frustration at the moment, just how competitive the MSW is and how NOBODY who doesn't know the social work field knows just how intense this application cycle is. 

End rant. 

Have a wonderful, stress-free day!

I am a strong believer in not putting all your eggs in one basket. I hope you, me, and everyone else here receives plenty of offers. But should we need to apply again next year, I think it would be wise to apply to as many programs that interest you. Then, when the offers come in you can chose the one that is highest on your list.

Another rant....

So when I first started gathering my thoughts about what I wanted to do after my undergrad degree I first landed on law school. I wanted to get involved and work in disability/family/education law and policy. Then I found some awesome MSW/JD combined programs which I thought were perfect! Then I quickly realized, after talking to many mentors and supervisors (some of which are social workers and some lawyers) said that it would be taking A LOT on at the same time. I also realized that my end goal of working in policy in those fields can easily be done with a wonderful MSW degree AND getting a well rounded education at the same time (counselling individuals and groups AND policy, the best!). 

But now I am realizing and seeing that the MSW programs seem to be WAY more competitive than the law programs and feel kind of like kicking myself. I know that I way prefer the MSW to the JD since those three years would be torture taking random classes I am not interested in just so I could work in a certain niche field. But this is my frustration at the moment, just how competitive the MSW is and how NOBODY who doesn't know the social work field knows just how intense this application cycle is. 

End rant. 

Edited by jenste

Hey Beth,  It's great to get a good rant off of your chest, isn't it??!

It sounds like you made the right choice, even if it is the more challenging one. An MSW is incredibly versatille, you cant go wrong with one. As you move along and get a better idea of where you see yourself professionally, eventually you can take courses/certificate programs etc to round out your skill set. Hang in there, you will find out soon if you are in!  If the worse case scenario happens and you are denied admission, you have a year to rethink your choices but for now, you definitely made the right call.

All the best for admission success! :D

Another rant....

End rant. 

We 've been talking about plans.. so will share mine.... Plan A , B , C ,D = MSW lol..... I have no back up plan...will wait patiently until my last rejection and then I will regroup and decide what next....  :)

Well I was just wait listed from Carleton for the 1 yr program. Which sucks because I really wanted to get in. What made me feel a little worse was the email that stated in 2012, they weren't able to use the wait list.

Still waiting on York U, U of T, and Ryerson. All 1 yr MSW. not feeling that confident though...

Edited by scotto123

Hey scotto123,

Sorry to hear about being put on Carleton's wait list. I'm sure it's really disappointing, but I think it was extremely competitive, and you obviously have a lot of the skills and experience they are looking for. I just checked and the website stated that I wasn't eligible. I know that I didn't reach the minimum hours, but I was hoping there would be others who were in the same boat. Hopefully we'll hear different results from remaining schools.

I think if you made Carleton's waitlist you have a really good chance of getting accepted to the other programs. From the research I've done, it seems that Carleton was one of the tougher schools to get in to.

Good luck!

Well I was just wait listed from Carleton for the 1 yr program. Which sucks because I really wanted to get in. What made me feel a little worse was the email that stated in 2012, they weren't able to use the wait list.

Still waiting on York U, U of T, and Ryerson. All 1 yr MSW. not feeling that confident though...

For Carleton applicants, it looks like decisions are being sent out for MSW... That isn't my program, but as the same system is being used, I was wondering if anyone knows what the status progression is for applications on Carleton Central?

So far I've seen:

1. "Preliminary review required" (default on application) to

2. "Review in progress by department" (not sure if this review is the preliminary one to acknowledge that I have all documents or the actual assessment by the department) to

3. "Recommended for assessment" (once again, not sure if it's recommended for assessment by the department since it passed the preliminary review or the Faculty of Graduate Affairs as already reviewed by the department)

No communications to check from Carleton yet, I've just been obsessively checking.

Can anyone else provide more information on statuses?

Hope the wait isn't driving anyone too crazy!

Well I did not apply to this school. But based on your post, my guess is that 1 means the documents were received but not looked at, 2 means it was quickly reviewed to make sure you have the basic requirements to be considered, and 3 means someone will be looking at your documents to give you a rating. The final step would be to rank order the applicants from highest to lowest and give out acceptances, which should not be much longer now.

For Carleton applicants, it looks like decisions are being sent out for MSW... That isn't my program, but as the same system is being used, I was wondering if anyone knows what the status progression is for applications on Carleton Central?

So far I've seen:

1. "Preliminary review required" (default on application) to

2. "Review in progress by department" (not sure if this review is the preliminary one to acknowledge that I have all documents or the actual assessment by the department) to

3. "Recommended for assessment" (once again, not sure if it's recommended for assessment by the department since it passed the preliminary review or the Faculty of Graduate Affairs as already reviewed by the department)

No communications to check from Carleton yet, I've just been obsessively checking.

Can anyone else provide more information on statuses?

Hope the wait isn't driving anyone too crazy!

Edited by jenste