Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Good luck on the waitlist! It sounds like you are positioned pretty well, especially at Mac. Hopefully you will hear something positive soon.  If Dalhousie becomes your only option, is it possible to do your practicum at your current workplace?

@MSW13: Highly unlikely I can do my practicum at my workplace, but that's ok.  My employer will let me use vacation time and unpaid leave to get it done.  I'm kind of flipping out right now though, as I just got an e-mail from UCal, and they never received my transcript (even though I called McMaster and confirmed by telephone that the darn things were sent!).  Now I'm scrambling to re-send my own imaged copy of my transcript because they didn't get all of it the first time and ask Mac to resend the official version.  All of this after I called UCal in late December and asked if they had everything and the reassured me they did.............  Panic mode!

Now I have to call UVic and find out if they have my official transcript, or did Mac bungle that too?

Hey k.jo and student 2668,

Congratulations on being accepted! Can I ask what specialization you picked for your application (Clinical Social Work Practice or International and Community Development)?

Hey Stary, I was accepted into International and Community Development as well. 

Congrats to everyone who has been receiving good news!

I'm still waiting to hear something from Ryerson, I'm wondering if maybe I didn't get in, starting to plan on attending Western. 

I have yet to hear from Ryerson as well. Ill be honest, I've pretty much given up on the idea that I will be going to school this year as 3 other schools have rejected me. Best of luck to everyone else out there!

I have yet to hear from Ryerson as well. Ill be honest, I've pretty much given up on the idea that I will be going to school this year as 3 other schools have rejected me. Best of luck to everyone else out there!

Don't give up!! the waitlist at U of T moves. I have several friends who got in after being waitlisted!

I called Ryerson and they said that they're sending out decisions throughout March and early April. Declines go out by email only, and acceptances go out by regular mail. So, if you haven't heard anything yet then no news is good news I guess.

I tried to contact York but I was on hold for too long and the 2nd time I called, the call unexpectedly dropped. So I'm a little frustrated with them lol.

I called Ryerson and they said that they're sending out decisions throughout March and early April. Declines go out by email only, and acceptances go out by regular mail. So, if you haven't heard anything yet then no news is good news I guess.   I tried to contact York but I was on hold for too long and the 2nd time I called, the call unexpectedly dropped. So I'm a little frustrated with them lol.
I really hope so! It's my only choice left. And I really want to continue my studies while I'm still in an academic mindset

Congrats k.jo. You must be so excited about the news. Have you decided which offer to take?

Thanks everyone!! They sent me an email. Deadline to respond is April 12.

Hi Thumper86,

Do you know how many people do a thesis each year at Wilfrid Laurier? Did you state in your application that you wanted to do a thesis or did you apply after you got accepted? What do you think about the thesis course so far?

I'm really curious about the thesis course. I went to the information sessions of some schools but they didn't really talk about the thesis option.

Two-year students (1st placement) are in placement 4 days per week from January until mid April and then for 3 days per week from mid April until the end of June. If you do a thesis your first placement is shortened by 6 weeks.

Two-year students (2nd placement) are in placement 4 days per week from September until mid December.

No problem, this site is a great break from reading and writing lol

FYI for all those who applied to Laurier: I just check the results page, two people have reported being accepted to Laurier's 2 year program for this year. They were both contacted by email on March 22 and 23.

The number of people who do a thesis has been quite small in past years (3-5 per cohort) but this year that number has increased quite a bit (I know of at least 8 in my cohort who are pursuing a thesis but I'm sure there are more than that). Yes, when I applied to Laurier I wrote in my personal statement that it was my intent to pursue a thesis. However, my thesis topic and potential supervisor changed drastically once I started the program. You fill out the paperwork that declares your intent to pursue a thesis before the end of first term. There isn't an actual thesis course that you take, you just have to register in a the thesis course so the school knows how many people are completing a thesis.

Hi Thumper86,

Do you know how many people do a thesis each year at Wilfrid Laurier? Did you state in your application that you wanted to do a thesis or did you apply after you got accepted? What do you think about the thesis course so far?

I'm really curious about the thesis course. I went to the information sessions of some schools but they didn't really talk about the thesis option.

Officially accepted my offer from U of C this weekend (it was deferred from 2012).  Excited, but nervous about going back to school after all this time (I suspect that I am a fair bit older than most of the people on this site) and also about moving to Calgary; being from the west coast, temperatures below -10 sound like fantasy to me :P .  

FYI for all those who applied to Laurier: I just check the results page, two people have reported being accepted to Laurier's 2 year program for this year. They were both contacted by email on March 22 and 23.

What do you mean by the results page?

If you google gradcafe results it shows people who have updated when they got accepted, rejected or waitlisted as well as the school and program etc. http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php <----- you should see it there. I'm freaking out a teeny bit right now but I am hoping they didn't do all their acceptances at once?

If you google gradcafe results it shows people who have updated when they got accepted, rejected or waitlisted as well as the school and program etc. http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php <----- you should see it there. I'm freaking out a teeny bit right now but I am hoping they didn't do all their acceptances at once?

Thanks for the link, although this is pretty discouraging now :(