Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

I applied to the 1 yr programs at Ryerson and York. So, I'm kind of worried....
I applied for the Ryerson 1 yr program too and no word yet! I did call this week to see what's going on and was told my application has been forwarded to the department to make a decision. So if you haven't heard anything yet, it's still hopeful. You would've known by now if you were rejected. Good luck!

I applied for the Ryerson 1 yr program too and no word yet! I did call this week to see what's going on and was told my application has been forwarded to the department to make a decision. So if you haven't heard anything yet, it's still hopeful. You would've known by now if you were rejected. Good luck!

Well that's good then. I knew that declines come by email, so I guess no news is good news. Although, the wait is starting to really take its toll lol. 

I applied to their qualifying year program.  Got an e-mail acceptance on Thursday.

Do you mind explaining the qualifying year program? I've never heard of it and I'm looking into options for next year... Since it's not a degree, do you have to attend McGill for the MSW? Are you guaranteed admission into the MSW program if you complete the qualifying year program? 

Do you mind explaining the qualifying year program? I've never heard of it and I'm looking into options for next year... Since it's not a degree, do you have to attend McGill for the MSW? Are you guaranteed admission into the MSW program if you complete the qualifying year program? 

I did not apply but I looked into it. The qualifying year is kind of just the basics you need to know for before doing the advanced standing MSW. It's pretty much what you would do in the first year of any 2 year MSW. However, you aren't guaranteed a spot in the program upon completion, that's the downfall. I don't know if the qualifying year is useful anywhere outside of McGill though, I think it is only if you plan on attending that University.

Edited by AccioMSW

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while and want to say you guys are the reason I'm still sane!!!!! lol, the wait is killing me. I thought I'd join in and participate in the discussion until I receive my letter of admittance ( thinking positive ;). I only applied to one school this year, the 2 year MSW at UfT, mainly cause I initially wanted to take a year off after my undergrad and secondly, I am no where ready to go out of town (Toronto) if need be to attend grad school. I feel I need that year to mentally prepare. Either way, I never realized how bad I really wanted to get in until this very moment when I am anticipating their decision. Ugh its been so stressful! And now that I hear they won't be sending out their decisions until April 15, I am not looking forward to two more weeks of this :( .  Hopefully Angela was meant April 15 is the latest possible date they will be sending them out. There must be a backlog, cause according to the decision offers from last year, they should be coming in this week. I guess the MSW program is getting more popular, which in turns means more competition......

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while and want to say you guys are the reason I'm still sane!!!!! lol, the wait is killing me. I thought I'd join in and participate in the discussion until I receive my letter of admittance ( thinking positive ;). I only applied to one school this year, the 2 year MSW at UfT, mainly cause I initially wanted to take a year off after my undergrad and secondly, I am no where ready to go out of town (Toronto) if need be to attend grad school. I feel I need that year to mentally prepare. Either way, I never realized how bad I really wanted to get in until this very moment when I am anticipating their decision. Ugh its been so stressful! And now that I hear they won't be sending out their decisions until April 15, I am not looking forward to two more weeks of this :( .  Hopefully Angela was meant April 15 is the latest possible date they will be sending them out. There must be a backlog, cause according to the decision offers from last year, they should be coming in this week. I guess the MSW program is getting more popular, which in turns means more competition......

Hi!

Yeah I feel your pain. Don't worry it is almost over. I too think she meant April 15th is the last date possible. Maybe she wants to avoid getting a huge influx of calls if she says they will be sent out earlier and people freak out when they don't get anything?

Does anyone know what it might be like or if it's any different in social-work for someone who identifies as male?  I know that at Laurier they have an Inside-Out exchange program with a local female prison, which would make me think that male students are excluded.  On a general note, I think that men in social work is an interesting subject matter.  I think there is a lot of stigma towards men who are interested in working in child protection services in particular, due to the incidence of previous sexual abuse cases, which I think is very unfortunate.

Here are my stats: Philosophy major, A- average, 4 years of volunteer work in social services.

I was admitted to Laurier last week and am awaiting UofT's decision.

Hey everyone,

I called York today and they said that they are still reviewing the 2 year applications.

The woman told me that we should hear back within the next week.

Congrats on getting into Laurier!

I absolutely agree with your perceptions of males in social work.  It certainly is difficult for males to enter an arena like child protection services without an exceptional amount of scrutiny.  What triggered your interest in this area?

Good luck with U of T! Which is your preference, U of T or Laurier?? 

Does anyone know what it might be like or if it's any different in social-work for someone who identifies as male?  I know that at Laurier they have an Inside-Out exchange program with a local female prison, which would make me think that male students are excluded.  On a general note, I think that men in social work is an interesting subject matter.  I think there is a lot of stigma towards men who are interested in working in child protection services in particular, due to the incidence of previous sexual abuse cases, which I think is very unfortunate.

Here are my stats: Philosophy major, A- average, 4 years of volunteer work in social services.

I think you may be right on this one.  For the advanced standing, I think someone had quoted Angela as saying that letters would be sent out on March 7th but based on responses here, people received their letters as early as March 6th (I may be off on the dates, but you get the idea).  I think the date she gives is the date you can expect to receive your letter by, not necessarily the date they are mailed out. 

Hi!

Yeah I feel your pain. Don't worry it is almost over. I too think she meant April 15th is the last date possible. Maybe she wants to avoid getting a huge influx of calls if she says they will be sent out earlier and people freak out when they don't get anything?

York has a very poor record of actually doing what they say.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Hey everyone,

I called York today and they said that they are still reviewing the 2 year applications.

The woman told me that we should hear back within the next week.

Should I call Windsor...? I know last year they didn't start sending out acceptances until April 11th but every other school seems to have given some type of time frame (excluding York of course). 

Why not? A call just to ask where they are in the decision-making process and when you should expect to hear the results by is not a bad thing to do in April (...maybe not such a good idea if it was February :P )

Should I call Windsor...? I know last year they didn't start sending out acceptances until April 11th but every other school seems to have given some type of time frame (excluding York of course). 

I think you may be right on this one.  For the advanced standing, I think someone had quoted Angela as saying that letters would be sent out on March 7th but based on responses here, people received their letters as early as March 6th (I may be off on the dates, but you get the idea).  I think the date she gives is the date you can expect to receive your letter by, not necessarily the date they are mailed out. 

thank you!!! I had a feeling that's what it would be. Thank you for continuing to look on here. It's been a huge help!

I emailed Windsor in March and they said,

"The application files are still going through the review process right now. We hope to start sending offers of admission out around the beginning of April. We will send out an initial round of offers to the highest ranked applicants first. As we potentially receive declines of an offer we will continue to send out additional offers until our program is full. Based on previous years history this can some times take a couple of months to complete the entire process. When applicants receive an offer of admission they are given two weeks to respond. During that time we basically have to "wait and see". You can continue to check your status on the SIS system. All applicants will receive a notice of decision. Offers are sent out by hard copy in the mail whereas rejections are now sent by email. Thank you."

Does anyone know what it might be like or if it's any different in social-work for someone who identifies as male? I know that at Laurier they have an Inside-Out exchange program with a local female prison, which would make me think that male students are excluded. On a general note, I think that men in social work is an interesting subject matter. I think there is a lot of stigma towards men who are interested in working in child protection services in particular, due to the incidence of previous sexual abuse cases, which I think is very unfortunate.

Hello, I've also applied to the 2 year MSW program at Laurier. Is you A- average an overall average, or is that your average in your last year of study. Thanks you, I appreciate any help :)

I emailed Windsor in March and they said,

"The application files are still going through the review process right now. We hope to start sending offers of admission out around the beginning of April. We will send out an initial round of offers to the highest ranked applicants first. As we potentially receive declines of an offer we will continue to send out additional offers until our program is full. Based on previous years history this can some times take a couple of months to complete the entire process. When applicants receive an offer of admission they are given two weeks to respond. During that time we basically have to "wait and see". You can continue to check your status on the SIS system. All applicants will receive a notice of decision. Offers are sent out by hard copy in the mail whereas rejections are now sent by email. Thank you."

Thanks so much! You're on the ball :) 

Male students are not excluded from the inside-out program as far as I know. There were males interviewed in the summer of 2012 for the fall class.

Does anyone know what it might be like or if it's any different in social-work for someone who identifies as male? I know that at Laurier they have an Inside-Out exchange program with a local female prison, which would make me think that male students are excluded. On a general note, I think that men in social work is an interesting subject matter. I think there is a lot of stigma towards men who are interested in working in child protection services in particular, due to the incidence of previous sexual abuse cases, which I think is very unfortunate.

I just received an email from U of T about graduate residence. Does everyone get this email or does this mean I was accepted??

Did everyone receive this email?

Edited by DreamingMSW

I just received an email from U of T about graduate residence. Does everyone get this email or does this mean I was accepted??

Did everyone receive this email?

Yes, I got this email too. Sadly, it doesn't mean you were accepted, it goes out to all applicants. But if you have yet to get in, I wish you all the best! Don't lose hope just yet :)

Yes, I got this email too. Sadly, it doesn't mean you were accepted, it goes out to all applicants. But if you have yet to get in, I wish you all the best! Don't lose hope just yet :)
Ok thank you!!!!