Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Sounds like a good plan. You could always do a second master's in counselling later on when you're a social worker and have your employer to pay the tuition fees. :) There are a few programs that can be done online or part time.

That's a great suggestion, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone,

So since I did not get in anywhere this year I'm going to take the year off to volunteer; a little speed bump in my plan but hopefully it will make a difference for next application season. I was just wondering what other schools in Ontario offer the two year MSW program? Ultimately I'd love to go to Windsor but I'm gonna send out a bunch to see what happens.

Right now I know of...

1) Windsor

2) Laurier

3) Toronto

4) York

5) Carleton

Am I missing any other school?

Congrats to those who got in this year, and good luck to those re-applying!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist for U of T.  I'm currently waitlisted and can't help, but hope.

Thanks

No not in the past few months. I spoke to Angela

Recently. Hopefully it'll move!

At U of T, we have until August 31st to pay tuition (or defer if scholarships/OSAP is expected). I suspect that if anyone has failed to do that by the deadline, they may possibly be forfeiting their spot in the program.

No not in the past few months. I spoke to Angela
Recently. Hopefully it'll move!

At U of T, we have until August 31st to pay tuition (or defer if scholarships/OSAP is expected). I suspect that if anyone has failed to do that by the deadline, they may possibly be forfeiting their spot in the program.

Is that something someone said? Or is that your statement? And yes this is really what I'm hoping for. Acceptances after this date (next week).

The tuition deadline is fact.  However I'm not sure if it is 'fact' that they would have to forfeit their spot.

edit: I did a quick look around the UofT website and I cant find anything that explicitly says for sure that they would lose their spot if tuition isn't paid by the deadline.

If the waitlist doesn't move, I truly hope you reapply.

Is that something someone said? Or is that your statement? And yes this is really what I'm hoping for. Acceptances after this date (next week).

Edited by MSW13

At my UG institution, if tuition fees weren't received by the due date students were charged a late fee if they chose to pay after the deadline. New students could also pay after the deadline, but they couldn't wait too long (maybe a couple of weeks or so) otherwise they would be removed from their registered courses. 

I'd definitely double check this information on the university website.

Jenste, based on what little I've read since yesterday, I have a feeling the same (or something similar) applies to U of T.  I think that students would be charged a late registration penalty and if they still fail to pay, they would eventually be removed from their program/courses. 

However I'm not sure if this would really allow people to take their spots or if they have well into September/October before they are kicked out.  Basically, at the end of the day, I 'm not sure if it would really help anyone on the waitlist. 

This process is so torturous.  At this point, I'd be inclined to call the school and just ask straight out if there is any reasonable chance for the waitlist to move this late in the summer and if so, what would be my personal chances of being selected.

I just called Angela and she told me  that given the waitlist has not moved much this year, odds are there will be little to no movement next week.  She said the wait list will be closed end of next week.  Hope pretty much crushed, but sadly still a little alive.  Well at least I have a plan B - work for a year and get more volunteer experience and appy again next year and Lakehead HBSW as well.

Good Luck to all.

I'm glad you called and got some answers, even if they weren't what you were hoping to hear.  Last year someone got off the waitlist 2 days before class started. There is still a chance but it is more like winning the lottery at this point.  Applications for 2014 should be out by the end of September so you should be able to apply again soon.  You may be surprised at how fast things go--before you know it, it will be March and you'll be checking your email/mailbox all over again (at least that is how it felt for me).

If it doesn't work out this year, best of luck with plan B!

I just called Angela and she told me  that given the waitlist has not moved much this year, odds are there will be little to no movement next week.  She said the wait list will be closed end of next week.  Hope pretty much crushed, but sadly still a little alive.  Well at least I have a plan B - work for a year and get more volunteer experience and appy again next year and Lakehead HBSW as well.

Good Luck to all.

I'm glad you called and got some answers, even if they weren't what you were hoping to hear.  Last year someone got off the waitlist 2 days before class started. There is still a chance but it is more like winning the lottery at this point.  Applications for 2014 should be out by the end of September so you should be able to apply again soon.  You may be surprised at how fast things go--before you know it, it will be March and you'll be checking your email/mailbox all over again (at least that is how it felt for me).

If it doesn't work out this year, best of luck with plan B!

Yes last year someone was told there was very little hope of movement and they got in two days before classes started and someone else got in a day before classes started. You never know. But having a backup plan is a good idea :).

One or two more students could back out at the last minute, but I would be very surprised if it were more than one or two.

I'm not sure how OSAP works, but in my province they are not generous at all when it comes to student loans. If I hadn't started saving up for grad school a year and a half ago, I probably would have refused my offer due to the sparse amount my student loan is offering. I'm counting my blessings that I have been saving as much as I can and now it's really going to pay off.  

Best of luck to those still waiting... As MSW13 has already said, if you aren't called off of the wait list, the next application season is right around the corner. To those of you planning to get a student loan, I'd also take this extra year as an opportunity to better prepare for this financial commitment for the next two years as there won't be much free time to work while you're in school.

All the best!

Just FYI, a general email received from U of T basically names Sept 13th as the deadline to register/arrange fee payment. If the waitlist closes at the end of the next week, it seems that it is not based on registration and tuition payment deadlines.

All the best for those still waiting.

Just FYI, a general email received from U of T basically names Sept 13th as the deadline to register/arrange fee payment. If the waitlist closes at the end of the next week, it seems that it is not based on registration and tuition payment deadlines.

All the best for those still waiting.

Did they say anything about contacting them if you didn't plan to attend?

Unfortunately the email was not that specific. It was sent out by the School of Graduate Studies. Here is the link to the 'important dates/deadlines' page.  http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Sessional-Dates.aspx

I find that the more you look at it, the more you realize how vague it all is. On one hand it seems that Sept 13th is a firm deadline. But at the same time, you could be assessed late registration fees--not sure if that means you can still register or not. Very confusing!! However having said that, yesterday was the tuition deadline.  I'm guessing that most people would know by now if they qualify for OSAP or not.

I guess the good news in all of this is that the torture will be over by the end of the week.  If it doesn't work out, start working on your application now. The questions have not changed at U of T so look over your statement and see what you can improve on/update. Incorporate any new experience and have some knowledgeable people read it. If you think gpa might be an issue, enrol in some classes and boost your marks. Did you call U of T and find out where you can improve?

Did they say anything about contacting them if you didn't plan to attend?

Unfortunately the email was not that specific. It was sent out by the School of Graduate Studies. Here is the link to the 'important dates/deadlines' page. http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Sessional-Dates.aspx

I find that the more you look at it, the more you realize how vague it all is. On one hand it seems that Sept 13th is a firm deadline. But at the same time, you could be assessed late registration fees--not sure if that means you can still register or not. Very confusing!! However having said that, yesterday was the tuition deadline. I'm guessing that most people would know by now if they qualify for OSAP or not.

I guess the good news in all of this is that the torture will be over by the end of the week. If it doesn't work out, start working on your application now. The questions have not changed at U of T so look over your statement and see what you can improve on/update. Incorporate any new experience and have some knowledgeable people read it. If you think gpa might be an issue, enrol in some classes and boost your marks. Did you call U of T and find out where you can improve?

Yes and I was told that there is nothing to really improve on. I was told that my grades were high enough and my experience was also good...and that if I didn't get in this year to just apply again. Edited by DreamingMSW

As awful as it feels to be in this limbo, it is good to know that you aren't lacking in anything.  Basically it is just a matter of too many qualified people & not enough spots (I recall Angela saying that much during the info session I attended last year). From the orientation session I attended earlier in the spring, it seems that the students admitted were fairly diverse. Is there anything you can do to draw out a unique experience in your statement? For instance, have you worked with a particularly vulnerable population? Do you speak a different language? Have you worked with certain ethnic/religious communities that highlight your ability to work with diverse groups? etc etc.. Reflect on how you have improved since last year and make sure you note it as well.

Yes and I was told that there is nothing to really improve on. I was told that my grades were high enough and my experience was also good...and that if I didn't get in this year to just apply again.

As awful as it feels to be in this limbo, it is good to know that you aren't lacking in anything.  Basically it is just a matter of too many qualified people & not enough spots (I recall Angela saying that much during the info session I attended last year). From the orientation session I attended earlier in the spring, it seems that the students admitted were fairly diverse. Is there anything you can do to draw out a unique experience in your statement? For instance, have you worked with a particularly vulnerable population? Do you speak a different language? Have you worked with certain ethnic/religious communities that highlight your ability to work with diverse groups? etc etc.. Reflect on how you have improved since last year and make sure you note it as well.

That's the thing I'm really not sure what else to do. I currently work in eating disorders and (this is new since I submitted my application this year) I am coauthoring a paper with two social workers on stigma and anorexia. I am also speaking at an international conference on eating disorders later this year. I have also worked with the families of patients suffering from dementia and have worked with dementia patients themselves conducting art therapy groups. I have created a campaign to raise awareness about stigma and mental illness on college campuses. In my undergrad I was very involved in groups from a specific religious background. I have done outreach for postpartum depression. And I have spoken at a conference on stigma and mental illness in university.

So I am honestly not sure what else to do. I am unfortunately no longer able to volunteer overseas at this point in my life which I know would really help me stand out. If you have any other ideas please let me know! I would love any feedback.

Thank you for being so kind and consistent on here. I can tell how kind you are and how amazing you will be as a social worker.

Thank you so much DreamingMSW, what a kind compliment!

**disclaimer** --The following is just my opinion. I have no experience on an admissions committee, nor have I spoken directly with someone who has been on one. I'm just basing this on my own experience and from my own readings on the subject. 

It sounds like you have a really great list of accomplishments and have a firm handle on what you'd like to do as a Social Worker.  I would suggest that you go over your statement and make sure that you've been able to clearly articulate how these experiences have made you realize what you need to work on to achieve your goals and how the school can help you do that.  This demonstrates knowledge about the program and also tells them that you you've done your research on what being a social worker entails.

Make sure your statement has 'flow'. By this I mean that even though U of T asks 5 different questions, you may want to ensure that there is a general theme that loosely connects all of your answers. It is less likely to sound all over the place and makes it easier for the reader to follow your train of thought.  I would also take it to your school's writing centre and have someone edit it for grammar.  I also find that having friends read over it is nice (I mean, they will rarely criticize you) but it wont help you as much as getting feedback from a prof will. Now is the best time to have someone look over your last statement before they get bogged down with their own classes and wont have time. 

That's the thing I'm really not sure what else to do. I currently work in eating disorders and (this is new since I submitted my application this year) I am coauthoring a paper with two social workers on stigma and anorexia. I am also speaking at an international conference on eating disorders later this year. I have also worked with the families of patients suffering from dementia and have worked with dementia patients themselves conducting art therapy groups. I have created a campaign to raise awareness about stigma and mental illness on college campuses. In my undergrad I was very involved in groups from a specific religious background. I have done outreach for postpartum depression. And I have spoken at a conference on stigma and mental illness in university.

So I am honestly not sure what else to do. I am unfortunately no longer able to volunteer overseas at this point in my life which I know would really help me stand out. If you have any other ideas please let me know! I would love any feedback.

Thank you for being so kind and consistent on here. I can tell how kind you are and how amazing you will be as a social worker.

Thank you so much DreamingMSW, what a kind compliment!

**disclaimer** --The following is just my opinion. I have no experience on an admissions committee, nor have I spoken directly with someone who has been on one. I'm just basing this on my own experience and from my own readings on the subject. 

It sounds like you have a really great list of accomplishments and have a firm handle on what you'd like to do as a Social Worker.  I would suggest that you go over your statement and make sure that you've been able to clearly articulate how these experiences have made you realize what you need to work on to achieve your goals and how the school can help you do that.  This demonstrates knowledge about the program and also tells them that you you've done your research on what being a social worker entails.

Make sure your statement has 'flow'. By this I mean that even though U of T asks 5 different questions, you may want to ensure that there is a general theme that loosely connects all of your answers. It is less likely to sound all over the place and makes it easier for the reader to follow your train of thought.  I would also take it to your school's writing centre and have someone edit it for grammar.  I also find that having friends read over it is nice (I mean, they will rarely criticize you) but it wont help you as much as getting feedback from a prof will. Now is the best time to have someone look over your last statement before they get bogged down with their own classes and wont have time.

Thank you :). I actually had 2 friends and 2 profs and my boss look it over before submission. I'm sure you are better able to understand my frustration now. Oh well.

lol, yes I totally get the frustration! :)  Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you haven't done all that already--you sound like you are on the ball and clearly want this very much.  When I went over my statement for my second time applying, I did make some changes. I deleted or updated some areas that were less relevant a year later and I changed other areas with better wording.  It was a little different for me because nobody read my first submission but I still knew it could be improved.

Did you receive constructive feedback from the people who reviewed it? Are they in the field or in a different area all together?

Thank you :). I actually had 2 friends and 2 profs and my boss look it over before submission. I'm sure you are better able to understand my frustration now. Oh well.

lol, yes I totally get the frustration! :)  Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you haven't done all that already--you sound like you are on the ball and clearly want this very much.  When I went over my statement for my second time applying, I did make some changes. I deleted or updated some areas that were less relevant a year later and I changed other areas with better wording.  It was a little different for me because nobody read my first submission but I still knew it could be improved.

Did you receive constructive feedback from the people who reviewed it? Are they in the field or in a different area all together?

I did and I changed it accordingly. I actually had it looked over by two social work professors (masters professors) so I assumed they knew what they were talking about? No no you didn't imply anything!! I know you are really trying to help. I just feel there is nothing more for me to do.

That does sound like you did your best.  The only other thing you may want to look at is your references.  Did you feel that they were strong? Were the people who wrote them knowledgeable? If the answer is 'yes' and 'yes', then I cant imagine what else you could possibly do.  You haven't been sitting back this past year so you have some good things to add which will only strengthen your application. 

I did and I changed it accordingly. I actually had it looked over by two social work professors (masters professors) so I assumed they knew what they were talking about? No no you didn't imply anything!! I know you are really trying to help. I just feel there is nothing more for me to do.