NYU - waiting still?

Lorelei17

I'm soooooooooooooooooo freaking anxious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you all afraid of what's in store this week??? :?:

This state of uncertainty is driving me insane!!!

I am with you on that one! The thought that I could possibly know what the future holds in a matter of days is making me so nervous! I just hope we all get good news!!!

When you look on the results page for April Steinhardt has all acceptances. Does that mean we're all in???? I hope so! Let's keep our fingers crossed and if we get in, we'll all meet for drinks first week of class!!! :D

Acceptance letter arrived yesterday!! Yesterday also brought an e-mail from the program director with information on funding -- I'm pretty excited! :-) Good luck everyone!

[keanureeves]Whoa.[/keanureeves] I'd assumed at this point that I wasn't in, because other people from my program have heard, and because the grad coordinator didn't answer an e-mail I sent over a week ago... but then she answered it today, and you posted this. Craziness! Maybe there's a letter in my mailbox at home!

When you look on the results page for April Steinhardt has all acceptances. Does that mean we're all in???? I hope so! Let's keep our fingers crossed and if we get in, we'll all meet for drinks first week of class!!! :D

Wouldn't that be nice!

I emailed the head of the programme I applied to about a week ago, and received...

...no answer. I told him I have a job offer that needs a response ASAP. I'm taking that as rejection - if they were even mildly interested in me they would have ANSWERED MY EMAIL! The website says all communication is via snail mail. If that's true, and they haven't already mailed my decision, I won't receive it in time to make a decision before April 15th (international + Easter weekend).

The other programme I'm waiting for answered my email and was honest that the decisions would be another couple of weeks. Fortunately my prespective employer has allowed me to take until I hear from that programme before I respond.

I thought this week would be the week but it looks like I have another week or more before I find out :(

Has anyone else made any progress or gotten any news so far? I hope this will all be over for us soon! It is starting to take its toll!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to NYU Steinhard for the Music Technology MM. Received an e-mail 3 weeks ago saying that my application "is under review" and "it will still take a few weeks before a decision is produced". What does "a few weeks" mean? It

Does anyone know how the wait lists at NYU GSAS work? Or are they different for each field? I'm wait listed and no one will tell me anything - not where I stand, not how many people are on the wait list, not how many students were accepted, not how many slots need to be filled, nada. Anybody have any information they could share?

^April 15th is the usual deadline, however decisions may go on waaaayy after that, lol.

Which program area you waiting on?

Lol! I was afraid you were going to say that! I applied to Steinhardt for Masters in Special Education. I was contacted last week for an interview which is taking place tomorrow but asked if I could do a phone interview ( I live in Eastern Canada on an island so traveling isn't easy or cheap lol). It has been a waiting game since then. I heard back from someone today saying that they will see what they can do and dont make travel plans yet but I really need to know seeing as though the interview is tomorrow! I have other offers I have to accept by Friday so I'm getting worried that time is going to run out...plus this program starts in 7 weeks. It has been a rough process for sure!

After not getting a respone from emailing the programme co-ordinator, I emailed an admin assistant. I got a reply back saying that she thought results would be sent out a few days later. She must not have been sure, because she forwarded my email to someone in admissions at Steinhardt. I got an email back with a PDF of my rejection letter attached that had supposedly been sent a MONTH previously. The letter finally turned up at my house, having gone from NY to New Zealand via Zurich, according to the postmark.

Classy.

Hey, I've been waiting for the Steindhart- Music Business Graduate Program. I've applied in early January (Couldn't make it to early decision tho :( ) I was wondering if anyone heard from them yet? Is everyone announced? I still haven't heard from them and everyone's telling me "No news is good news", is it? Seriously?

I guess people who haven't received a decision letter from the school should be on a waiting list of some sort, does anyone have any clues about this?

All answers are appreciated, maybe they will help me to not to lose my mind while waiting for a decision letter...

^^^^^I applied for the same program (MUBG) ....I did regular decision (Feb 1st).

I mean, I overnighted that application on the very last day possible. :lol: I was still working on my personal data outline the morning I was supposed to send it off :lol: Not a procrastinator, just a perfectionist...lol. I got my acceptance email on March 25th...and the letter came about 3 weeks later (I'm in NC).

I suspect maybe you are some type of waitlist. I know that they made decisions in batches....because someone else on this forum found out about 3 weeks before I did. And he sent his app off a couple of days before me.

Don't give up hope yet....it may still be good news. I hope you get in. 8)

Also, to add.....I applied for MUBG back in 2007, and didn't get in. :| I found out (via snail mail) around mid-April.

So, the wait may not mean bad news. Waiting is better than having a rejection, IMO. 8)

The thing I hated about the process was that there are absolutely no published info on how many people apply, and how many are accepted. But I did find out that there are about 30 open spots each year for this program (I found out via someone in admissions). Still not sure how many applied.

Hey Prof2000,

Thanks a lot for the info, I'm kinda feeling a little down because I feel like that waiting list is not gonna turn out so good, and I'm an international student and I have visa-graduation issues right now and still having no answer messes up my whole life. I hope we will be together for the next 2,5 years (that means if I get in, woohoo) so see you there, then. If not, thanks a lot anyways.

Oh btw,

1) I called them 2 days ago to ask about my application and someone asked me for my SSN, I told them I had none because I'm international, and then she asked me my last name and she checked the system and told me that "there's no decision has been made yet", but she was very rude, though. So I couldn't ask about anything else coz she hung up on me. So we actually know that there's no decision YET.

2) Maybe there's something to do about me being an int'l student? enlighten me with your wisdom Prof2000 :)

3) I've heard that they accept 60 people in every year and %20 of that number has to be int'l students. Hope it's true.

I got the same response a few weeks before I got my acceptance email. 8) We probably talked to the same lady :lol:

So either that is a routine response, or they truly haven't decided yet.

I'm not sure if the process is different for international students, it could be. I know the admissions office is not very helpful :lol: they give you the basic info....you can't really read into anything they say.

But for now....if I were you, I'd just be happy they said "no decision has been made". I would think they would say "the decision has been mailed on ____" if a rejection is indeed coming. I would hope they wouldn't give applicants false hope like that. :lol: That's just my opinion, but you never know.....these admissions people are really unpredictable, LOL.

3) I've heard that they accept 60 people in every year and %20 of that number has to be int'l students. Hope it's true.

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

I think there are 60 people total (1st year grads, and 2nd year grads). They accept about 30 new students each year. Being from another location may help. I hear that NYU (in general) tends to favor applicants out of NYC area. (I'm in NC...so that may have helped me somewhat).

So with that said, they may have a percentage of international students they want to admit. So you might be right about that.

I guess the only thing you can do is....wait. Unfortunately. :| Let me know if I can do anything to help. 8)

I also applied to MUBG...regular decision...

@nitrogh- I'm also still waiting on a response, and like prof said, waiting might not necessarily be a bad thing...if they do look at applications in batches, at least we didn't get rejected immediately....let's keep the hope alive!

@professor2000- congrats on getting accepted....thats awesome!

Well, I went crazy and searched Facebook-Blogs-Forums etc about any MUBG applicants.. I've found out that some people even got accepted AS EARLY AS Feb 26.... I guess they're just too lazy to send out a rejection note, or they're really considering it very carefully... However, while they're doing that, I'm going mad... I found 8 people that got in to MUBG through web, I hope it's not more than that so I can still think that I have a chance... lol