NYU - waiting still?

Lorelei17

^LOL. What other sites did you visit? I did the same a while back....and I came up with this site only. I think only about 3 people from this site (myself included) got accepted for Fall 2009 for MUBG.

If you do a results search and type "music business", there are only two entries for Fall 2009. The rest are from years past.

I would suspect that since NYU is one of the few universities that has it as a grad program, it might be really popular. But then again, most people major in music business during undergrad. So there might be less applicants than we think.

Keep me updated....I hope everything works out for you and waitingonnyu. 8)

Oh yeah...btw, did either of you apply to University of Miami's program too?

Hi All!

I am new to this forum. I recently submitted my app on April 15th (late i know, but I made a slow decision on whether or not to make a career change) Anyway, I was wondering if any of you applied or know of anyone who applied to the Childhood Education program. How competitive is it ?

Congrats to those who got in!! :D

I was just notified that I am on the wait list. This sucks a lot. This is the only school I applied to because there are no other music business graduate programs that I know exist. I graduated from Northeastern University with a b.s. in music with concentration in music industry. This is what I want to do... and I was wait listed :x

Anyone else on the wait list?

@professor2000-- nope, I only applied to NYU....i def think it's the best program for music biz and, plus, I don't think there's a better city than NYC to get ahead in this biz...

almost 3 months of waiting for a response and it's killing me....C'MON NYU!!

@IWannaKnowNow....I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you'll get accepted off of the waitlist. I know someone from last year who was accepted off of waitlist, at the end of July. Don't give up yet. Maybe you should send a letter to admissions, reiterating how much you want to be in the program. 8)

@waitingonnyu. Yep they do have the best program. I'm baffled how NYU accepted me, yet UM rejected me (I applied there last year). I also applied to Columbia College Chicago's program. Got accepted, deferred, and ended up declining in the end. :lol: I should have never applied there in the first place....lol.

This has been a wild 2-3 years....now I'm finally going back to school. I hope I'm not too rusty... lmao.

Do you think I should call them? Or maybe send an e-mail to Catherine Moore to ask about my application process? Since I'm an international student in US, I have some visa issues coming along so I have to deal with them as soon as I learn about the NYU application.. Any suggestions?

I'll say this much....I emailed admissions office about my deposit, and never heard back from them....that was 3 weeks ago. :lol:

So you'll need to go to someone in the department directly....lol. Although I wouldn't address this to the director. I'm not sure of how she'll react to it (I haven't met her yet). Maybe you should contact her Grad Assistant first. I'll send you her email address in a private message. 8)

IM STILL WAITING! Im an international student and was told I would find out latest the 1st of March!!! why would they tell me that? Anyway is anyone else still waiting- i emailed professor moore and didnt receive a response! its getting quite amusing now- anyone else in the same position?

IM STILL WAITING! Im an international student and was told I would find out latest the 1st of March!!! why would they tell me that? Anyway is anyone else still waiting- i emailed professor moore and didnt receive a response! its getting quite amusing now- anyone else in the same position?

I am in the same position! It's fun isn't it? lol! I'm an international student as well! I was told 8 days ago that I would hear in a week and I am still waiting!!

Good luck! Let me know how it works out for you!

i applied to NYU's MA program in Psychology...i still havent heard anything.then again it says their deadline is may 15? but that seems sooooo late to me,

I am also waiting to hear from them as well. I think I will have to defer one of my school because I have to reply them whether I'm attending by May 15th >_<.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you applying to NYU's music business master's program, what do you think that program will give you that getting a job in the industry won't? That is, why go the grad school route instead of getting a job in the industry? Have you already had a job in the industry? I only ask because I've worked in the music industry for about 6 years, and I don't understand what students want to get out of the program. No one I've ever known working in the music industry has had music business masters degree. (I don't know about undergrad degrees either, although probably some did.) I'm genuinely curious.

My reasoning for applying, to be honest.....location & connections.

Sometimes just applying for a music business job will not work, especially if you don't know anyone. I worked in radio marketing & promotions in small town in NC, but made very few valuable connections. And while I could slowly climb to the top - i'm talking years and years :lol: , I think attending NYU would give me a better jumpstart.

Most people say...."well, why not just move to NYC". Well, kind hard when you don't have a job...and don't know anyone there. :lol: Going to NYU will help me get acclimated to the city....while pursuing the career I really want. And I feel NYU would open more doors for internships.

I went to a small university in NC for undergrad, and I had to drive one hour everyday to my internship. :x An internship I set up on my own (because the career services at my university couldn't accommodate my needs).

I do realize that I'll be paying a lot to attend NYU, but in my case....I'm willing to take that risk.

For those of you applying to NYU's music business master's program, what do you think that program will give you that getting a job in the industry won't? That is, why go the grad school route instead of getting a job in the industry? Have you already had a job in the industry? I only ask because I've worked in the music industry for about 6 years, and I don't understand what students want to get out of the program. No one I've ever known working in the music industry has had music business masters degree. (I don't know about undergrad degrees either, although probably some did.) I'm genuinely curious.

I forgot to ask, just curious....what do you do in music industry? And how did you get there?

And what are you getting your grad degree in now?

8)

I forgot to ask, just curious....what do you do in music industry? And how did you get there?

And what are you getting your grad degree in now?

8)

Project management at record labels. I moved to New York (I knew one person there) and took a job in an unrelated industry, after a year, told everyone I knew I wanted to work in the music industry, got an interview at a label through a friend of a friend, got the job.

There are going to be many fewer jobs in that industry over the next few years. If you really like the idea of going to school to go to school, that's cool. But if your goal is honestly to work in the industry as soon as possible, I think you would be much better off taking an internship (or several) now--I see lots of openings for them, and you can definitely get one without being attached to a school--and then getting a job from the people you will meet there who are already working. Even if you get a master's degree, you will still be starting at the bottom 2 years from now--unfortunately, there's not really a way to skip over the moving through the ranks part. People care about your experience in the industry FAR more than where you went to school or what you studied. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I'm getting an unrelated art degree. :D

Project management at record labels. I moved to New York (I knew one person there) and took a job in an unrelated industry, after a year, told everyone I knew I wanted to work in the music industry, got an interview at a label through a friend of a friend, got the job.

There are going to be many fewer jobs in that industry over the next few years. If you really like the idea of going to school to go to school, that's cool. But if your goal is honestly to work in the industry as soon as possible, I think you would be much better off taking an internship (or several) now--I see lots of openings for them, and you can definitely get one without being attached to a school--and then getting a job from the people you will meet there who are already working. Even if you get a master's degree, you will still be starting at the bottom 2 years from now--unfortunately, there's not really a way to skip over the moving through the ranks part. People care about your experience in the industry FAR more than where you went to school or what you studied. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I'm getting an unrelated art degree. :D

Oh okay, that's cool! My most ideal situation would have been to get a degree in music business for undergrad....but during that time my family was going through some issues (both of my parents were really ill), so moving away wasn't an option. But in life, we just gotta take the opportunities before us...and make the best out what we are given. 8)

I pretty much figured they value more work experience than anything, its that way with any job field. I don't mind moving up the ranks, my point was that NYU/NYC would give me more options for internships/jobs than being here in Nowheresville, NC :lol: Most of the major internships I researched require that you get academic credit for your work....but I'm sure there are some that don't. And even then, I still don't know anyone in NYC....so having an unpaid internship is still not a good situation either, considering I wouldn't be able to pay for an apartment, lol.

I also realize that the industry will become more competitive in the coming years, that's why I'm also getting an MBA. I actually want to do strategic music marketing or either brand marketing. That way my education/work experience can translate to other industries.....just in case I get sick of music business :lol: But music biz is my passion though.

Good luck with your art degree. :mrgreen:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi, i know this thread has been dead for some time... but, I tried to create a Net ID & it let me create one and it allowed me to make a password, However, when I try to log in it says I am in ineligible for a NYU Home account at this time.... does this mean I am rejected??

Hi, i know this thread has been dead for some time... but, I tried to create a Net ID & it let me create one and it allowed me to make a password, However, when I try to log in it says I am in ineligible for a NYU Home account at this time.... does this mean I am rejected??

Hi na3eem! I applied for Steinhardt International Ed program. Turned in my app on the deadline - I'm curious when did you submit yours? I have heard a few people chatting about creating a Net ID and it seems that all applicants are assigned one but this only hearsay. How did you start creating your ID? Could you provide a link?