NYU - waiting still?

Lorelei17

Does anyone know how many they usually admit to the Tisch School MA in Cinema Studies?

I would imagine its significantly lower this year...

It's a fairly large class of 30-35. I don't see any reason it should be lower this year.

to sunbabygirl - sorry if this is bad news, i'm also waiting to hear back from other schools so i can feel the pain...

NYU called all of the admits for complit over two weeks ago.

maybe they passed your application to the slavics department?

To zingara:

Thanks for the info. I just called the comparative lit department and they told me that they are still finalizing their decisions, that they will not disclose anything over the phone or e-mail?, and that I will be getting an answer in about two weeks. So, there's still hope for us, comp lit, don't give up!

For the folks who applied to American Studies last year and heard "good news" in April:

Were you phoned for an interview prior to this "good news"?

I've heard that they usually do interviews and whenever mid-February came around I hadn't heard a peep I figured I'd count that app as a waste of $85.

I've applied to the History program and can't believe this waiting game! Of my nine apps I've heard from only 2- one rejection from Illinois and a joyous acceptance to Buffalo's Global Gender Studies with full package. The problem with NYU and others who send out their decisions so late is that the universities who send them early expect your decision before the others come in!! I applied to NYU and the others in the first week in December. I was lucky in the waiting (until now anyway) since I was kept extremely busy during the entire break doing field work in Ecuador. I had no time to worry and pace at the mailbox everyday! Now I do though!!! Please post when you do finally hear from NYU!!!!

I got a nice letter from a student ambassador but no response from the actual department (Wagner School.) I've also applied to Tisch's ITP and no response from them either...

For reals! This is silly! I hate waiting! Ugh. Glad we are all in this together! But I sincerely do not want to only have a week to make a really important decision, you know?

Still waiting- Media, Culture, and Communication (Steinhardt)

Is anyone still waiting to hear from NYU Steinhardt Music Business Graduate Program?

I applied for early decision (January 6) and I called them a few weeks later to check the status. They said I would be notified in February... but February is gooone. I received a letter in the mail saying that they didn't receive my transcript... and I definitiely sent them my transcript. I had to resend my transcript and they told me that I would now be a regular decision applicant. I hope they actually received it the second time. This seems outrageous to me! Ah! Someone please comment.

For the folks who applied to American Studies last year and heard "good news" in April:

Were you phoned for an interview prior to this "good news"?

I've heard that they usually do interviews and whenever mid-February came around I hadn't heard a peep I figured I'd count that app as a waste of $85.

Nope, no interview. I had heard zip from NYU from when I submitted my app (for the AmSt MA) before Thanksgiving until the acceptance phone call on April 14th. It was quite the shock! It seems that with NYU, really anything can happen.

I feel like a jerk for holding back on this, but I have an e-mail which should confirm that departments may have made decisions, but the Enrollment Services procedures need to be carried out:

Dear (Yeah right),

It gives me great pleasure to tell you that we have forwarded your name to Graduate Enrollment Services with the recommendation that you be accepted to the NYU Chemistry Ph.D program as a student with a MacCracken Fellowship.

Official notification of acceptance awaits the completion of Graduate Enrollment Services procedures.

Sincerely,

(Hah!)

Director of Graduate Admissions

Hang in there guys. I have a 3.35 GPA :)

I wouldn't say that. I didn't get an "official/unofficial" like the one above. I've been in contact with a few professors from the Dept. of Teaching and Learning. One of them told me that they were planning to accept me. I have received nothing official (even an e-mail like the one above) but I'm still assuming that I'm going to be accepted! :-) I hope that's not a false assumption, but surely this particular professor (who is in the position to know) wouldn't tell me I was going to be accepted if I wasn't. . . hopefully! I would think it's possible that you could still be accepted. If this professor hadn't said something in the e-mail, I would assume I wasn't getting in either. It seems like the graduate office is just slower than molasses. I'm still obsessively checking the mailbox! No official word on funding either. Does anyone know when NYU usually makes those decisions?

So if departments haven't notified us that recommendations were sent to enrollment services, we probably haven't gotten in to NYU?

I'm almost impressed that you could extract such a radically, unrealistically pessimistic interpretation.

Wow, I just checked the online status and it says my application is incomplete (my 2 letters of recommendation were "not received") and the checkbox for scholarship consideration was changed to "No."

I applied on 1/12/09 (before the scholarship deadline of 1/15/09) and everything was complete and submitted. I just sent an email to them as they don't appear to be answering phone calls.

WTF???

whoa chem09. glad you came out with the stash.

i certainly feel like nyu rejected me. i applied to dev. gen. was told that they would "get back to us [sic] on or a few days before 15th April."

at least i can rest over that news [of delayed rejection]