NYU - waiting still?

Lorelei17

I have also applied to the LSMA at Columbia. I think that the application process is less selective, but you are still able to work with a range of faculty in your area of interest. I spoke with a student from the program who recommended it highly. Also you may be interested in CUNY's LSMA as well. Good luck to you!

I have also applied to the LSMA at Columbia. I think that the application process is less selective, but you are still able to work with a range of faculty in your area of interest. I spoke with a student from the program who recommended it highly. Also you may be interested in CUNY's LSMA as well. Good luck to you!

Do you know when Columbia's going to notify us if we got in? How long could they possibly take with it being so late in the year already.

I actually sent in an app there last week as a sort of extra back up, though I did get admitted to an MA elsewhere, rejected by another, and rejected by a PhD elsewhere. The due date was the 15th, but they do have both the April 1st and march 15th listed as due dates on their website. I think it is way less selective and I'm not sure how helpful it would be in that it may be difficult to receive good advising and it may take a lot to get the attention of faculty since you're not their primary concern (i.e. the program is not connected to any specific department). Still, it's a fine school. I asked one of my recommenders who teaches there if he knew anything about the program and he said "No I don't, but I'm sure it's fantastic". He did his PhD there and works there so I guess he sort of has to say that. Ha.

Well, I called NYU Steinhardt today and manipulated them a bit. I said "Hi. When I called yesterday, they said a decision was made about my application [not quite true]. I have been having mail problems lately [not quite true] and was wondering if you could tell me the date that my decision was mailed." She informed me that mine was put in the pile to be mailed on Friday and thus was sent in Friday's or Monday's mail. I haven't received it yet, so I am guessing that it was sent out Monday, but at least that gives me a time frame...

Well, I called NYU Steinhardt today and manipulated them a bit. I said "Hi. When I called yesterday, they said a decision was made about my application [not quite true]. I have been having mail problems lately [not quite true] and was wondering if you could tell me the date that my decision was mailed." She informed me that mine was put in the pile to be mailed on Friday and thus was sent in Friday's or Monday's mail. I haven't received it yet, so I am guessing that it was sent out Monday, but at least that gives me a time frame...

I considered doing that tomorrow, so I'm glad to know it somewhat works! I am still waiting on a decision from Steinhardt for the M.A. program in International Education. I called Admissions on Friday asking when decisions would be sent, since my application was complete in early January, and the (quite rude) woman said "I've worked here for 13 years, so you better believe it's going to be 8 to 12 weeks at the minimum." Sigh.

I'm still waiting to hear, applied to the Comparative Literature PhD. Saw two acceptances on the results forum from February, so my guess is that it's another rejection. I just wish they would send it already!

I actually just broke down and emailed the Administrative Aide. My patience is wearing thin, and my anxiety is getting the better of me.

I considered doing that tomorrow, so I'm glad to know it somewhat works! I am still waiting on a decision from Steinhardt for the M.A. program in International Education. I called Admissions on Friday asking when decisions would be sent, since my application was complete in early January, and the (quite rude) woman said "I've worked here for 13 years, so you better believe it's going to be 8 to 12 weeks at the minimum." Sigh.

We must have talked to the same woman! She said the same thing to me!! Funny thing is 12 weeks from the new deadline date of the program is the first day of classes so it doesn't make sense at all! I really thought that I would have heard long before now because my program starts in June and I'm an international student! I am ready to hear once and for all! Let me know if your method works tomorrow! I really want to call back but i'm nervous i will get someone rude again!!

I'm waiting on NYU for the Near Eastern Studies program... it's agonizing! It's especially nerve-wracking for me because I am graduating from Rutgers in 3 years (two majors and a minor too = no sleep) and I really would like to know what my next year will be like!

I'm waiting on NYU for the Near Eastern Studies program... it's agonizing!

I'm waiting for the Kevorkian Center, too. From looking through past results, it seems that acceptances for NES don't usually go out til the 22nd and sometimes rejections aren't received until the 10th of April! I'm not expecting to get in because I applied at the last minute, but I think it's ridiculous that I may have to wait until the middle of April to know for sure. It's not like they don't already know who they aren't accepting. That's just inconsiderate.

Oh my PentothePage! you might actually pull off a landslide running away with 4 acceptances.

Were any of the 'Yes' your top choice?

Good luck to you.

And your:

Good thinking.

Hi DontUse - My top choice to be in New York City, given some personal and professional motives. Between NYU and Columbia it comes down to money... so here's hoping for that end of things... but I'm excited!

Thanks for asking, and you got into some good schools, so I hope you have had some ones to get you excited too.

Interesting development: I applied to the American Studies MA program at NYU. Still no word on admission, not via email (despite an inquiry sent on Monday directly to the department head) nor by snail mail. BUT! Last night I was able to create a NetID at NYU and log in to the student website where you can view your transcripts, class schedule, etc. I was not able to do this prior to yesterday, it kept saying I had to be a "student" of NYU in order to access it. The site has my status listed as a master's candidate in AMST. Now, I don't know if this definitely means I got in, I won't believe it until I see something in writing. But it is a positive sign at least. I suggest you guys try the same thing. go to home.nyu.edu.

I'd say you're golden damienweaver. congratulations.

However, on that note, I'd also like to point out how insanely vain a decision that is (to grant you access before letting you know you've been accepted) on NYU's part.

Sure, it's a nice gesture but does NYU feel, "We're offering a position. He/She will take it"... Are they not aware you may very well say, "No. While you were dragging your feet I've agreed to attend another program."

... and if that happens, well now they're in a crappy place because they've to disable your preemptively-created NetID.

Mysterious ways.

Whatever. Congratulations dear.

^^Hmmm...that's interesting. It didn't work for me though. You used your social security number, right? (since we wouldn't have a NYU ID Number)

I applied for Masters in Music Business (Regular Decision)....which was Feb 1st deadline. Surely they would have made a decision by now. I'm just gonna ignore that I can't log in to the website....LMAO, and hope that's not a sign.

This is ridiculous.

Thanks damien, I tried this on Monday and got the same "you are not a member of the NYU community" msg but this morning it worked! Now I'm also just waiting to see it on paper before believing it. To the poster right above me, when I called the office they said they were doing the letters for Music Biz in batches so maybe they just haven't gotten to your acceptance yet :)

I just got an email back from a faculty member in Steinhardt. I applied to the fast track education program and he said as of now my application is under review and that most acceptances will be out by March 31. So if anyone has applied to a program similar to mine then we still have a few more weeks of waiting!!

Thanks damien, I tried this on Monday and got the same "you are not a member of the NYU community" msg but this morning it worked! Now I'm also just waiting to see it on paper before believing it. To the poster right above me, when I called the office they said they were doing the letters for Music Biz in batches so maybe they just haven't gotten to your acceptance yet :)

Ok thanks....I hope that's it.