The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

Has anyone heard any news from Yale? I called the department and they said another week or so for decisions. 

Haven't heard anything from Yale yet. I was hoping this week would be the week.

Radiomars- what subdivision are you applying for ay Yale? I'm archaeology. 

I'm applying to bio.anthro. I know only cultural does interviews so it's kind of frustrating not having any feedback until decision time.

yes but super informally. i was told the official letters don't go out until march. (they're a little later with things...i remember their application being due late january!)

Was just wondering because they did interviews a few years back but hadn't heard if they did them this year or not. What subfield did you go with panda_bear? Bio, Arch, Psych, Cul?

Was just wondering because they did interviews a few years back but hadn't heard if they did them this year or not. What subfield did you go with panda_bear? Bio, Arch, Psych, Cul?
Cultural. I didn't interview but I went out to visit the department in November and meet with a few faculty and graduate students. Perhaps that means in my case no need to conduct an interview? I think I'm unique case re UCSD so my experience shouldn't be seen as illustrative (or maybe it should? Honestly this whole process is somewhat unpredictable (hence the reason why we are all asking and looking up past years info...there's like zero transparency for applicants, it's nerve wrecking)).

Hey I interviewed about 3 weeks ago. Still waiting. :)

Had no idea Harvard did that. My bad! I wrote to the department, and that's what they told me. 

That is what I have heard as well. Also I think it says on their website that they only do snail mail. 

If someone did get accepted, I'd hope they'd let us know! Sigh! But either way, we shall know our fates within the next 10 days!!! :unsure:

Has anyone just heard nada out of Chicago? I wasn't contacted re: an interview, haven't seen an acceptance or rejection on the website, etc. Is this a likely deferral to the MAPSS program?

atomnc: Chicago sent rejection letters last week, I believe regardless of whether one had had an interview or not. If you haven't heard anything from there, it definitely sounds a wee bit more positive than the outright rejection that landed in my mailbox... 

On a different note, has anybody heard anything from Vanderbilt? 

It looks like in the past maybe Chicago sends out rejections in waves? Anyway, just waiting for mine any day now . . . .

Did anyone attend the Duke anthro weekend last weekend? Just wondering how it went.

I haven't heard jack from Chicago either.  But I also haven't heard anything from 6 other schools and there have been postings on the board, some also with both rejections and acceptances so I dunno.  If I don't hear by mid-March i'm going to start calling.

I haven't heard jack from Chicago either.  But I also haven't heard anything from 6 other schools and there have been postings on the board, some also with both rejections and acceptances so I dunno.  If I don't hear by mid-March i'm going to start calling.

Chicago sent rejections in waves of elimination. Those that didn't make the first round received emails about the same time the priority candidates received theirs. Same with the second and third rounds. Lots of candidates in archaeology and linguistics this year. 

Has anyone just heard nada out of Chicago? I wasn't contacted re: an interview, haven't seen an acceptance or rejection on the website, etc. Is this a likely deferral to the MAPSS program?

What do folks think about the MAPSS program? If I'm not accepted to any PhD programs it's tempting to go this route but I'm not sure how much advantage it would give when doing PhD apps again.

What do folks think about the MAPSS program? If I'm not accepted to any PhD programs it's tempting to go this route but I'm not sure how much advantage it would give when doing PhD apps again.

MAPSS is a pretty strong gateway to the program. The amount of time spent with the University's instructors is pretty much on par with the Ph.D candidates. Their cohorts are also more engaged with one another. 

Edited by Leon_Dexter

Things have been so silent for me, I'm going crazy! Any word from UT Austin or UCSC? I know a lot of the other UCs have already made decisions but haven't seen anything about Santa Cruz on the forums...