The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

the fact that i could inspire something so wonderful & grumpycattish makes me so happy! so happy i could smile, or.. give a sideways "meh" glance.

tumblr_mhyhw6p4Ev1qj18i7o1_500.gif

update: of course, as soon as i relax and stop mulling over app statuses so much, my app to my top choice has a super cryptic status change. all of my materials were in and processed by 1/8 (12/22, save for one LoR), and after some serious interdepartmental lag, it finally showed up as complete 1/23. now it's been updated to "completed 2013-02-08," the proof of payment is in hilariously tiny font, and now there's a new section at the end that says "note from admissions," with no note after the "note" subfield.

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN.

brb hyperventilating and overanalyzing in a corner for the rest of the night

oh god please let this be a good sign panic panic panic

Edited by pears

I received my acceptance to Cornell's anthropological archaeology program on Thursday of last week via email. Haven't seen any arch subdivision rejections so I think they tell their acceptances a little bit before which is why we saw the Cornell socioanthro acceptance like 2 weeks ago. was anyone else on here accepted to the arch subdivision? I have an interview at washU end of February. I haven't heard from anyone else. Cornell was really the perfect fit me for though, so I don't expect positive results from any other schools. I applied to Oregon, UCLA, Harvard, WashU, NYU, Cornell, and U of Chicago. we will see. Good luck to everyone.

I noticed someone posted a rejection in sociocultural anthro, phd program, from York University. Does anyone have any other information on that? I applied to York and UofT's PhD programs in socio anthro and I know UofT should be sending out word any day now, but I wasn't expecting to hear anything from York until mid-March o.O

"The University of California, Irvine Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has received your 2013-14 financial aid application information.  You will be receiving more detailed information regarding your application in the near future."

panicpanicpanic. refresh. repeat step 1.

no, i haven't heard anything else from them...  thanks for being supremely opaque uci!  i assume someone who was rejected wouldn't receive this, but then again, why not just send it in conjunction with a decision!?  thanks for the positive thoughts though pears :)

You remember college admissions when there was ONE day when the results came out and you just had to mentally prepare for that?

And afterwards you could either jump around happily or buy ice cream and cookie dough and hide and wallow and get over it?

Not that it was fun but at least there was a clear time line!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with that Berkeley rejection?   Have more people gotten these or just the one person?
I haven't heard anything. The result says it was an informal email so I think it was just something they got. That said, I'm starting to think those of us who haven't heard a peep out of cal are not going to hear good things at this point. :(

Hi everyone,

Quick question: What are your thoughts on e-mailing schools to inquire about your application status? If you think it's acceptable, who do you recommend contacting (in the case that you have not been in touch with a specific professor)?

Thanks!

I haven't heard anything. The result says it was an informal email so I think it was just something they got. That said, I'm starting to think those of us who haven't heard a peep out of cal are not going to hear good things at this point. :(

I'm thinking the same thing. Also with Stanford. 

Why has the anthro side of the results section been so quiet the past few days? I think I refresh that just as much as I refresh my inbox.  Anyone else still waiting on their first decision to come back?

danthro, I e-mailed both departments (Berkeley and Stanford) on Thursday and haven't heard anything in response. Nor has my application status changed for either. Maybe they've both made offers and are waiting to get some acceptances before sending out rejections? Or since there's at least one Stanford waitlist on the results board, maybe they are just slow to send out the rejections. Just making it all that much more pleasant to receive . . . Ugh. 

Hey stet, did you e-mail Ned at Berkeley? I'm thinking of doing the same today. Also, who did you e-mail at Stanford?

Hi everyone,

Quick question: What are your thoughts on e-mailing schools to inquire about your application status? If you think it's acceptable, who do you recommend contacting (in the case that you have not been in touch with a specific professor)?

Thanks!

I feel like it's still too early to e-mail departments about results since we seem to be in the midst of adcomm sessions right now.  Looking at past years, it seems like results won't really start rolling in until the latter half of this month.

danthro, yes, I e-mailed Ned. At Stanford, I e-mailed anth_gradadmission. I think I probably found that address on the application site somewhere.

I haven't heard from either. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, though in the past it sounds like people have gotten responses from Ned. That said, maybe he's tired of responding to anxious applicants!

I know someone IRL who got into Berkeley with full funding. They have not sent out any letters to those accepted, so it was an informal acceptance for this person.

This person also got acceptances from Yale, Cornell, and Michigan. And sociocultural anth, all informal acceptances from POIs.

Re NYU I learned super informally like, third-hand, that NYU is meeting this week.

I was on a contacting spree, so I contacted Irvine. The very nice man there told me that the committee should be sending out the first round this week. He said he didn't know if there would be a second round or a third round. 

I was on a contacting spree, so I contacted Irvine. The very nice man there told me that the committee should be sending out the first round this week. He said he didn't know if there would be a second round or a third round. 

brilliant! many thanks... but WHEN this week? haha ;)

stet, just wondering, who did you contact?  Did you contact a professor you'd previously collaborated with or the grad director?  I am thinking of contacting a few places and was just wondering who'd be best to get in touch with.