Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

The only application result from one of my programs is three years old and they called...so I'm paranoid about getting a phone call during class or something and darting out to check it only to find out that it's a telemarketer or something!

I've decided that if that phone call was a mini-interview, then I probably botched it. I've spent the past week coming up with better questions I could've asked, etc. -sagenod- We'll see, though. She's the only of the three people that I listed that has contacted me, though, which I find interesting. Part of me likes to think that neither of the other two have because she "claimed" me...one of the two that hasn't is a good friend of my mentor (who has spoken very highly of me, and I know she's contacted her friend because I saw it in her to-do list) so in theory I'd expected to hear from her.

I have no idea. I really need to stop theorizing.

Don't overthink things, make sure you worst enemy doesn't lie between your own two ears. :)

Be confident that you did a great job, and look forward to the future, don't look in the rearview mirror too long!

Edited by Faraday

Don't overthink things, make sure you worst enemy doesn't lie between your own two ears. :)

Be confident that you did a great job, and look forward to other opportunities!

Thanks. :lol:  I am very much my own worst enemy sometimes. My mother is convinced that my professors know something I don't, which would be likely (since...well, beyond the fact they know /tons/ of stuff I don't know...anyways). The waiting is bothering me, but I'm doing better today. Focusing on my work instead of grad school apps and whatnot. Trying to eat a bit better and take better care of myself, so. We'll see how it goes.

I think part of what troubles me with that "mini-interview" is that I literally had no idea what to expect or what was expected of me, and I'm guessing it showed. Oh well. Time to get back to transcribing interviews...

Good luck to everyone who's interviewing in the coming weeks! :lol:

Nohika, I definitely understand what you mean about the "mini interview". Did you list your home number, or only only cell as primary? I was surprised when I got an interview invite by phone and they called my house number. Maybe because it was a state school and they wanted to prove I lived in the state, but that may be something to think about.

Nohika, I definitely understand what you mean about the "mini interview". Did you list your home number, or only only cell as primary? I was surprised when I got an interview invite by phone and they called my house number. Maybe because it was a state school and they wanted to prove I lived in the state, but that may be something to think about.

I just listed my cell...no way in heck did I want them anywhere near my house where my Mom or siblings might answer. :rolleyes:  Plus i just got in the habit of not using my home phone for much at all. I'm gone most of the day so anyone that really wants to get ahold of me needs to try my cell first anyways.

Call it quasi-esoteric mysticism or whatever you like, but I'm starting to believe that a missing letter here, a low score there is really not goin to make a difference in the grand scheme of things. What's bound to happen will happen no matter what.

Also, maybe it's being older that's making me reflect on such things, but I remember a time when I applied to MA programs and I was thinking all this madness and stress will go away once I get in. Well, I got in and it was the start of something new and a lot more stress than I was used to. What I'm trying to say is, while we're all naturally stressed out about this process, for those of you going through it for the first time, just know that the threshold of this experience will only be the beginning of a new one. Savor this experience because, for those of you who get in, these will be the good old days.

Edited by RiseofthePhoenix

Ok, so I just completed some deep introspection (ie - I zoned out at my desk at work staring at my computer screen for 15 minutes). I realized that my crazy obsession with checking statuses that I KNOW are not there is a self-soothing device.  It's like... I'm assuring myself that I haven't been rejected yet, even if I can't know if I've been admitted.  *Checks website*  *Under Review*  *Whew!*  

The second admits start going out, I will probably hide under a rock and cry... but definitely not check statuses.  Lol.

I am a USA applicant and I received an email, not a phone call. I would not appreciate a surprise phone call. Not. I hope to get at least two more interviews, and I really hope I am notified about all of them by email. If I wanted to make split second life altering decisions I would have become a trauma surgeon...

Call it quasi-esoteric mysticism or whatever you like, but I'm starting to believe that a missing letter here, a low score there is really not goin to make a difference in the grand scheme of things. What's bound to happen will happen no matter what.

Also, maybe it's being older that's making me reflect on such things, but I remember a time when I applied to MA programs and I was thinking all this madness and stress will go away once I get in. Well, I got in and it was the start of something new and a lot more stress than I was used to. What I'm trying to say is, while we're all naturally stressed out about this process, for those of you going through it for the first time, just know that the threshold of this experience will only be the beginning of a new one. Savor this experience because, for those of you who get in, these will be the good old days.

^what he said.

Just the frying pan to the fire, kids. But it's hard not to look forward to. For now.

I am also not a fan of the phone call. For one, I usually don't answer "unknown" calls, as well as calls with a phone number that I don't recognize. After the phone stops ringing, I usually google the number. When they call and don't talk to anyone, they usually send an email, so that's a good thing.

Agreed. Phone bad. Email good. [snail-mail evil.]

I suggest a new voicemail greeting though: "Hi, this is [me]. I'm probably in class or working hard on my research so my phone is ringless. For best results, use email. *beeeep*"

(And I like the implied, "If you don't have my email address I wasn't talking to you, fool.")

I am a USA applicant and I received an email, not a phone call. I would not appreciate a surprise phone call. Not. I hope to get at least two more interviews, and I really hope I am notified about all of them by email. If I wanted to make split second life altering decisions I would have become a trauma surgeon...
^^^This. I guess I missed a lot in my weekend of "not obsessing." PhDreams, I'm really sorry to hear about your mentor. I'm rooting for you even more now, I think getting in and doing your advanced degree will be a great way to honor their memory and impact in your life. I got an email from another program letting me know that the deadline is the 15th and they're still missing a letter and GREs. Ugh. I hate ETS and their wallet draining policies. I also hate bugging people about letters.

PhDreams, I'm really sorry to hear about your mentor. I'm rooting for you even more now, I think getting in and doing your advanced degree will be a great way to honor their memory and impact in your life.

I got an email from another program letting me know that the deadline is the 15th and they're still missing a letter and GREs. Ugh. I hate ETS and their wallet draining policies. I also hate bugging people about letters.

Thank you!! <3 Everyone here has been absolutely wonderful. I know we'll all be celebrating pretty soon.

Grrr... Just fell for one of those pesky get your hopes up emails. Title was "Chemistry Graduate Admiss..."

Dear ______,

I wanted to let you know that we have received all the items required for application to our graduate program. Your file has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee today.

As soon as a decision has been made, you will be further notified.

Thank you.

:lol:

My heart just dropped! I just checked the results forum and someone was notified yesterday of an interview (or had an interview-I am thinking it is the former though as I know the school holds an interview weekend in February) for the same program I am applying to. Fingers crossed that I get a phone call too!

anyone else feel like they are just treading water in every other aspect of life right now?!?!  I pretty much can't wait until every day is over because that means one more day closer to knowing the admissions decisions and being able to make some plans.  I wish I could just put this whole process out of my mind, b/c its unlikely that I'll hear anything until the very end of Jan (at the earliest).  Hard to focus on anything else right now though...  uhg

My heart just dropped! I just checked the results forum and someone was notified yesterday of an interview (or had an interview-I am thinking it is the former though as I know the school holds an interview weekend in February) for the same program I am applying to. Fingers crossed that I get a phone call too!

Good Luck!!

Grrr... Just fell for one of those pesky get your hopes up emails. Title was "Chemistry Graduate Admiss..."

:lol:

I just got this:

Dear _______ :

We were pleased to receive your application for admission to the Graduate School of Arts and Science.  This acknowledgment letter should be saved for your records.

Reading "we we pleased to..." made my heart beat faster... for nothing.

anyone else feel like they are just treading water in every other aspect of life right now?!?!  I pretty much can't wait until every day is over because that means one more day closer to knowing the admissions decisions and being able to make some plans.  I wish I could just put this whole process out of my mind, b/c its unlikely that I'll hear anything until the very end of Jan (at the earliest).  Hard to focus on anything else right now though...  uhg

I'm definitely starting to feel that way.  I think I just really need to get absorbed in something... trying to throw myself into my work.  :(

Yes... every day over is another day closer to a decision!  Once I find out where (or if) I'm going, we need to put our house on the market... and my husband needs to start job hunting in our new city.  I am trying to find ways to busy myself so I don't dwell on this for the next 6 weeks.  If I find something that works, I'll let you know.  Lol.

I'm doing better today...still having trouble sleeping (mind won't shut off), but am overall less stressed. Mentor smiled when I told her and told me before I know it it'll be the end of the week, and before I know it it'll be next week and that it'll be okay.

I'm not religious (well, not really), but I thank god each day for my department. They all take care of me and are all lovely people. I will be so sad to graduate in May.

Yes... every day over is another day closer to a decision!  Once I find out where (or if) I'm going, we need to put our house on the market... and my husband needs to start job hunting in our new city.  I am trying to find ways to busy myself so I don't dwell on this for the next 6 weeks.  If I find something that works, I'll let you know.  Lol.

ok thanks  :)   I'll let you know as well... although I'm thinking that time passing is the only true solution to this anxiety!!

My days end like this: Damnit! No contact. Grr. ...but at least they didn't reject me. Yet. I have a feeling I'm going to end up in a few hold-out piles where the committees basically go, "Eh, we'll wait to see if he manages to land one of those fellowships." Feh.