Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

It varies department to department- I'm over in East Asian Studies, not Econ, so I can't say for that department.  They only look at the GRE for scholarship considerations, since there are some university-wide ones that compare with the GRE.  That won't stop your department for awarding money though; my GREs aren't great either, but I got full funding for my MA, including tuition and a living stipend.  I really like the university as a whole; there is a huge international community here, and the on-campus housing is decent. (I live in the Graduate Residence, just built 2 and a half years ago.)  Edmonton isn't a bad place to live.  Really freaking cold, but the campus is built in such a way that you can easily cut through buildings to get to classes.  Plus there's West Edmonton Mall, which is the largest mall in NA.  And you get a UPass, which gives you unlimited rides on all public transit in the city, so you don't need a car.  Not sure what else to say, I like it. ^^;

sorry one more question, does qualifying graduate student also get funding? I have a three year undergraduate degree and although I have done most of the required courses, I am scared I might be admitted as a qualifying graduate. Can I still get a TA atleast?.

I had the weirdest dream last night, i was right beside the graduate coordinator for my department and she said "your file is ready, i will post the decision on bear track". she couldn't even let me see it in my own dream and i have refreshed the application page a thousand times over, still nothing!!! :blink:

Not a peep from any of my programs. :o

Luckily classes are starting back up and I've been sufficiently distracted this last week. However, I'm not quite sure how Im going to make it to the second week of Feb. If I don't hear anything by then, I can assume rejection from 6/8 schools. :(

sorry one more question, does qualifying graduate student also get funding? I have a three year undergraduate degree and although I have done most of the required courses, I am scared I might be admitted as a qualifying graduate. Can I still get a TA atleast?.

Depends on the department and how much funding they have.  My department has 19 MA students, and I think 7 or 8 of us are fully funded with RA/TAships, and most everyone else has partial funding through TAships.  But compared to US schools, Alberta has a ton of funding available for MAs.

Well, You are not going to believe this.  Talking about Cruel and Unusual.  Last night I said to myself, Tomorrow we will have a good phone call.  Guess what?  Today my phone rang and it said....wait for it...CUNY Graduate School.  I couldn't believe it.  My heart was in my throat.  Tears welled in my eyes.  Hello? I answered causally.  And it was my job.  There was no explanation of why it said CUNY Graduate School.  I even told her and she said, OH, that's odd.  I mean can you believe that?  My sister thinks they were trying to call at the exact time my job was calling me, but no one knows.  And I already emailed, so I am not going to call them about a mysterious call so they know for a fact I'm a nut.  I just can't believe how cruel life can be...CUNY Graduate School....

And just for a little icing on the cake, I looked at my application for the millionth time and were it says: FOR OFFICE USE ONLY, there is now a date in the date column, Jan 18th.  It wasn't there before, of that I am sure.  So it seems like someone is getting ready to enter information.  May God help me!

Is it possible you had two phone calls coming in at the same time?

I wonder if not hearing back from the other programs (biomedical sciences or engineering) means a high likelihood of a rejection... especially since I'm assuming interviews are taking place shortly (if they haven't already). Oh well

I wonder if not hearing back from the other programs (biomedical sciences or engineering) means a high likelihood of a rejection... especially since I'm assuming interviews are taking place shortly (if they haven't already). Oh well

This is what I keep thinking - especially with more and more comments being added to the results section about how [for given programs] all invites have already gone out. As we get closer to the interview dates it just becomes that much less likely that we'll hear anything good. And what bugs me most is that I don't see any updates to my applications. My status points all indicate that everything is still pending. I mean, if you're gonna reject me just get it over with. Grr.

This is what I keep thinking - especially with more and more comments being added to the results section about how [for given programs] all invites have already gone out. As we get closer to the interview dates it just becomes that much less likely that we'll hear anything good. And what bugs me most is that I don't see any updates to my applications. My status points all indicate that everything is still pending. I mean, if you're gonna reject me just get it over with. Grr.

I feel your pain Vincenzo. Programs in sciences (Bio) seem to have interviews setup for the first 3 weeks of February, so I would assume interview notices have been sent out at this point (or they are at least finalizing that process this week). Engineering programs don't necessarily require interviews, but it seems like many have heard something via email/phone.

At least we don't have rejections yet, although it is definitely more tempting to have a definite answer!

I thoroughly expect to live on campus or in the ghetto wherever I go, at least until my partner can't find work. I do have a friend who might move with me to ease the burden.

Shouldn't on campus housing be more expensive than off campus apartments?

Shouldn't on campus housing be more expensive than off campus apartments?
In my town, absolutely. But in some of the big cities with crazy col, sometimes university housing is a savings or equal, plus more convienant, nicer, and safer.

In my town, absolutely. But in some of the big cities with crazy col, sometimes university housing is a savings or equal, plus more convienant, nicer, and safer.

Wow. My undergrad was in one of the smaller of the big cities, and for us off campus housing was usually half the cost of on campus housing, or less. On campus was minimum 12-14k for 9 months, and that was for the dorm rooms, the "apartment style" housing was even more expensive. In the meantime, I had a spacious studio for 450 w/utilities a block away.

Wow. My undergrad was in one of the smaller of the big cities, and for us off campus housing was usually half the cost of on campus housing, or less. On campus was minimum 12-14k for 9 months, and that was for the dorm rooms, the "apartment style" housing was even more expensive. In the meantime, I had a spacious studio for 450 w/utilities a block away.
That's exactly how it is here. My family can rent a whole hous for the price of the UO's premium single bedroom grad apartment. And I will be on the right side of campus.

Places like stanford are in such crazy expensive areas that it is waaaaay cheaper to live on campus. No idea how nice the housing is but like 99% of undergrads live on campus and most grads do too. I know quite a few grads who commute from SF but I'm pretty sure they have parental support.

Anyone else keeping sane by going through PHD comics?

Something about it just makes me calm down.  I know on one hand I am looking forward to all of that work, but on the other it is kinda relaxing knowing I am not doing it yet.

Love how todays comic follows closely after his ted talk

Edited by gradorbust

I've been reading the PhD comics for at least a couple of years now. You would think they would have scared me off long before I reached the application stage. They would have scared off a normal person. ;)  

Anybody else torturing themselves by searching for apartments and researching neighborhoods near schools they haven't been accepted to yet?

LOL! I love this! I did this throughout the application process. I told myself that it was because I was making sure that my choices had viable living options.

Gah, I'm glad some others are as stressed out about this as me...  I've begun hitting "unreasonable female" level of anxiety.

I applied to four schools, I got rejected from one (UW) four days after submitting the app, which was a bit of a blow.  And the other three.... nothing!  I majorly freaked out today because a friend of mine who applied to one of the same programs as I did got an interview acceptance and I didn't... I didn't get anything.  I am having trouble staying happy for my friends when they're complaining about how much time his SIX INTERVIEWS are taking from his schedule.  I... gah.  I appreciate the fellow anxiety sharing this forum provides.

I appreciate the fellow anxiety sharing this forum provides.

That and so much more - I don't know how I would have made it through this whole process without this site.  I don't have any friends who have ever pursued a PhD, so I have found the advice, information sharing, empathy, and support on this site to be invaluable.  If there were a place to donate funds to the operation of this site, I absolutely would. 

That and so much more - I don't know how I would have made it through this whole process without this site.  I don't have any friends who have ever pursued a PhD, so I have found the advice, information sharing, empathy, and support on this site to be invaluable.  If there were a place to donate funds to the operation of this site, I absolutely would. 
Yes, this site has been my solace and confidante during this otherwise stressful time! May September find you all in the school of your choice...fully funded!