Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I decided to look for some documentation of an ancestor's Revolutionary War service.  Figured it would be a good distraction.  Found a scanned muster roll within an hour.  OK, now what do I do with the rest of my evening?

I threw my Jello cup in the sink and my spoon in the trash.
That's been my week. Today I took two ice packs to class instead of one ice pack and my sandwich. So for lunch, I had to visit the vending machine, decided to eat outside, and got chased away from my table by bees. On the plus side, one of those interviews has turned into an invitation to a recruitment weekend, so yay.

I concur. 2012 was quite challenging for me!

Agreed.  2012 and 2011 were both very difficult years for me (unrelated to grad school).  Here's to hoping that 2013 will be good to all of us.  Good luck everyone!

Edited by Quigley

I think the universe hates me.  I know I'm more likely to hear from email rather than snail mail, but I've been checking my mailbox regularly anyway.  The problem is that it's so cold in Alberta right now, and my mailbox is outside, that the lock froze shut.  I can't check my mail even if I wanted to! D:

I think the universe hates me.  I know I'm more likely to hear from email rather than snail mail, but I've been checking my mailbox regularly anyway.  The problem is that it's so cold in Alberta right now, and my mailbox is outside, that the lock froze shut.  I can't check my mail even if I wanted to! D:

Try to view this from the positve perspective: You can't check your mail anyway, so now you can't obsessively check your mail every few minutes. Its the universe trying to tell you to relax :)

As of yesterday, I am losing my mind a little less (keep reading for the reason). While sitting in the vet's office for my dog's annual check-up, I noticed I had a couple of new emails. When I checked my email, graduate school was not on my mind (I was too busy trying to calm down a very nervous dog), so when I opened up my email to see a message with the subject "Greetings from [insert name of University]", I nearly screamed and did a happy dance! It was my POI from my top choice program letting me know he'd like to interview me over the phone!!! I am so excited, but also so nervous. Wish me luck!!

As of yesterday, I am losing my mind a little less (keep reading for the reason). While sitting in the vet's office for my dog's annual check-up, I noticed I had a couple of new emails. When I checked my email, graduate school was not on my mind (I was too busy trying to calm down a very nervous dog), so when I opened up my email to see a message with the subject "Greetings from [insert name of University]", I nearly screamed and did a happy dance! It was my POI from my top choice program letting me know he'd like to interview me over the phone!!! I am so excited, but also so nervous. Wish me luck!!

OMG! CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a lurker who's materialized because...well...lurking is creepy.  And I'm feeling very inadequate too; like pea-shooter-against-a-dozen-armored-tanks inadequate.  I'm geographically tied to the Buffalo area for the next 7-8 years (co-parenting with ex), so there was literally only ONE school I could apply to.  (Rochester may be an option when my daughter is older, but the commute is too much of a stretch at this time).

I went to UB for my MA, I have a recommendation from the current and former heads of graduate admissions, I have teaching experience, I work with ecocriticism (currently popular there), and my thesis is the source for my writing sample and received lavish praise from said former committee head.

So why do I feel like I'm going to be adjuncting and subbing for the rest of my life?  

My brain just keeps telling me that 1 application is a foolhardy shot in the dark.  I have no idea what to do except reread my SOP over and over again, moan as I look at the number of applications most folks have submitted, refresh the survey page on gradcafe, cross my fingers, and feel like the little engine that couldn't.

I'm a lurker who's materialized because...well...lurking is creepy.  And I'm feeling very inadequate too; like pea-shooter-against-a-dozen-armored-tanks inadequate.  I'm geographically tied to the Buffalo area for the next 7-8 years (co-parenting with ex), so there was literally only ONE school I could apply to.  (Rochester may be an option when my daughter is older, but the commute is too much of a stretch at this time).

I went to UB for my MA, I have a recommendation from the current and former heads of graduate admissions, I have teaching experience, I work with ecocriticism (currently popular there), and my thesis is the source for my writing sample and received lavish praise from said former committee head.

So why do I feel like I'm going to be adjuncting and subbing for the rest of my life?  

My brain just keeps telling me that 1 application is a foolhardy shot in the dark.  I have no idea what to do except reread my SOP over and over again, moan as I look at the number of applications most folks have submitted, refresh the survey page on gradcafe, cross my fingers, and feel like the little engine that couldn't.

Not helping with the anxious wait but all my best wishes!  At this point in time - we're all second guessing ourselves, wondering why and how it will come together (i'm not even thinking about if..) so yeah - you're among peers :)

@ohgoodness, thanks!  Sometimes I imagine all of the amazing novels that I "must be" destined to write if I'm rejected from the PhD program; silly, I know, but it helps a little to think of the strange alleyways of fate that may open up if this one collapses in on itself.

And worst comes to worst, there's always next year.

I've been reading this forum for around 2 years... Preparing myself for applying to grad school, anxiously waiting for this time to come. And now I'm freaking out. 

I applied to all schools very late, like several weeks before the deadlines (Feb 1 and Feb 15). Still not sure whether they received all components of my application... Several LORs are definitely missing. I'm so angry with myself for procrastinating! I'm an international student who badly needs funding, so applying earlier would've definitely been better for me.