2013-2014 M.A./M.T.S/M.Div Application chitchat

Therewillbeluke

I believe you are still waiting for HDS. I think they offer grants and stipends to admitted students. Most of the people I know here do not need to pay much tuition and we get around $900/month as stipend+insurance, which is rather rare for master programs. But I also know of students who don't receive stipends. It might be need-based, according to what you indicate on the separate financial aid application.

Also Tufts history department has near-full-scholarship positions for masters.  

It was my understanding that stipends are actually very rare at HDS for MA/MDIV students. Most students I know either got a full grant for tuition only, or only half tuition.

St. Louis just came back with a better offer than their initial: full tuition with a stipend! Although I'm not so hot on living in St. Louis, SLU probably has the best program for my interests and the offer is too good to pass up. Praying everyone will hear good news this week.

St. Louis just came back with a better offer than their initial: full tuition with a stipend! Although I'm not so hot on living in St. Louis, SLU probably has the best program for my interests and the offer is too good to pass up. Praying everyone will hear good news this week.

Congrats!!!!!!

Accepted to UChicago MDiv with 100% tuition+stipend (ahhhhh).  It's going to be darn hard for any of my other prospects to top that!

I know I'm accepted to YDS and am waiting for aid info like everyone else.  I recently received a phonecall from their Institute for Sacred Music encouraging me to apply there as well.  Has that happened to anyone else?  I don't recall indicating any special interest in music in my application.  Does anyone know more about the ISM and why the admissions committee thinks I should apply there - aside from the fact that they offer their students intense funding?

Congrats, that's amazing!! Who cares about YDS with an offer like that;)! Yeah, that is strange/cool about ISM, though.

holy moly, that's phenomenal! congrats!!

Thanks! I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens with my other schools, plus I feel emotionally attached to PTS since it was the only school I was able to visit/they were the first school to accept me...

Will you visit any other school that offered you admission before you accept? I'm visiting Wake Forest in mid March.

I honestly don't think so, I don't have the money or time. 

You'll get an offer this week I'm sure!

Generally, schools will help cover some of the travel expenses to visit. At least, from what I can recall, HDS and Notre Dame offered about $200 (maybe a little more) for travel to visit during admitted students day or for an individual visit. This was two years ago...

Got an emailed notice from Boston University today, it was a "no". Not all that upset about it though since they're notorious about not giving MA students much funding and their program has PhD students as well so I would have received less attention. I'm just happy a decision finally came through, 2 down, 3 to go!

Got an emailed notice from Boston University today, it was a "no". Not all that upset about it though since they're notorious about not giving MA students much funding and their program has PhD students as well so I would have received less attention. I'm just happy a decision finally came through, 2 down, 3 to go!

Sorry to hear about your rejection

I'm going crazy waiting to hear from somebody. Anybody. Someone give me a call and let me know what's going on. I know Fordham has made their decisions. Just let me know, people. Just end this hell.

Amen to that!

I feel like they might have only notified or might only be notifying priority applications, their official notification date via email and mail is March 15.

I applied by the priority deadline (M.A.R. concentrate) and have not heard, as have a couple others on here.

I feel pretty nervous about YDS. But then I applied late, so I don't anticipate any news myself until the second week of March. Last year it looks like they advised of decisions beginning early March for general applicants. I have a feeling they may stick somewhat closer to their general notification date of March 15, since they did extend their general application deadline to February 8. But then given the sporadic notifications, of priority applicants up until now, there's no telling when it may actually happen.

I'm kind of surprised I have actually followed through with my application. I remember sitting on my laptop last summer and visiting their website toying with the idea of applying. I started an application and forgot about it. There was no way I could imagine myself bothering 3 professors to support my application.

For whatever reason, I don't expect a positive response. I've heard of people with good gpa's, 3.7 and 3.8, getting rejected. I wish I could see their personal statements and writing samples because I have a feeling they were both crap but that's hard to just guess.

Edited by unacclimated

I feel pretty nervous about YDS. But then I applied late, so I don't anticipate any news myself until the second week of March. Last year it looks like they advised of decisions beginning early March for general applicants. I have a feeling they may stick somewhat closer to their general notification date of March 15, since they did extend their general application deadline to February 8. But then given the sporadic notifications, of priority applicants up until now, there's no telling when it may actually happen.

I'm kind of surprised I have actually followed through with my application. I remember sitting on my laptop last summer and visiting their website toying with the idea of applying. I started an application and forgot about it. There was no way I could imagine myself bothering 3 professors to support my application.

For whatever reason, I don't expect a positive response. I've heard of people with good gpa's, 3.7 and 3.8, getting rejected. I wish I could see their personal statements and writing samples because I have a feeling they were both crap but that's hard to just guess.

Good luck! Still waiting on YDS too.

I considered applying to YDS last year, but I didn't find anyone in their department to be that friendly. I emailed a few POIs and some of them never even responded...Now that I think of it, I remember the director never responded either! It really put me off since other schools were super friendly and helpful. However, I would have seriously loved the atmosphere of YDS, it's such a gorgeous campus.

I considered applying to YDS last year, but I didn't find anyone in their department to be that friendly. I emailed a few POIs and some of them never even responded...Now that I think of it, I remember the director never responded either! It really put me off since other schools were super friendly and helpful. However, I would have seriously loved the atmosphere of YDS, it's such a gorgeous campus.

The director of admissions has been super helpful to me. Where are you thinking about going now?

The director of admissions has been super helpful to me. Where are you thinking about going now?

I've already received a generous offer from Wake Forest. Boston University has rejected me (Art History program), and I'm still waiting on Duke, HDS, and Tufts (Art History).