Acceptance Freakout Thread

Holy shit guys! I just finished feeling sorry for myself because I haven't heard anything good all week.

I just got accepted to PITT!!!!

ha! i literally *just* read your comment about this week being so silent, then clicked over to this thread & saw this. super stoked for you!

Holy shit guys! I just finished feeling sorry for myself because I haven't heard anything good all week.

CONGRATULATIONS I have been rooting for you so hard! What great news to end the week!

Thanks guys. I'm not gonna lie, I was terrified that I would get through a second season with nothing to show. This is a huge weight off of my shoulder.

CONGRATULATIONS I have been rooting for you so hard! What great news to end the week!

I'm rooting for you, too! I can't wait until you hear something amazing.

I just wanna say congrats to all those who have got good news :) I've been so torn up over my own shit that I don't think I've expressed the sense of relief I get when someone else is liberated from the agony

I love these off the cuff, authentic posts - I really sense your genuine excitement. Congratulations!

Thanks guys. I'm not gonna lie, I was terrified that I would get through a second season with nothing to show. This is a huge weight off of my shoulder.     I'm rooting for you, too! I can't wait until you hear something amazing.
Big congrats!

Got a e-mail from UCLA this afternoon! I've never been to California before, but I've been in love with UCLA since sophomore year. Also got a really nice e-mail from a POI at Chicago whose work I am a huuge fan of.

Feeling very blessed right now

Got a e-mail from UCLA this afternoon! I've never been to California before, but I've been in love with UCLA since sophomore year. Also got a really nice e-mail from a POI at Chicago whose work I am a huuge fan of.

Feeling very blessed right now

Are you going to welcome week?

Are you going to welcome week?

Depends on whether they'll pay for my flight or not lol... I really would like to get a feel for the campus atmosphere since I think it must be very different from what I'm used to, but flights to Cali are not cheap especially during spring break season.

Edited by jazzy dubois

Depends on whether they'll pay for my flight or not lol... I really would like to get a feel for the campus atmosphere since I think it must be very different from what I'm used to, but flights to Cali are not cheap especially during spring break season.

In years past, the department has reimbursed travel expenses.  If you have any questions for a current student, please send me a PM!  Congrats!

Congratulations dazedandbemused! 

It's dead silent from Pittsburgh for me, and it looks like waitlists even went out. Congrats to the lurkers, too. :)

Dead silence for me as well. With as many acceptances and waitlists as went out today, I'm thinking this might be another one to give up on. Maybe not though. Looks like a few years back there were some that went out Friday and some the following Saturday. Hard to tell!

t1racyjacks, I couldn't help but notice the status at the bottom of the post. I completely understand the wait is torturous and wish you luck, but just wanted to carefully note that my fulfilling both criteria (int'l, Asian) doesn't seem to have bothered UCB ...  :-/ Well, good luck to us int'ls on rest of the schools!!

nah, I meant nationally -- if you're from asia (not racially asian) -- I see you are in england?

t1racyjacks, I would be careful about jumping so quickly onto a conclusion that you are being victimized by unfair discrimination. There are a million reasons why you may have not been accepted to the program, and you are choosing to believe the one that makes you feel the angriest and most helpless. 

t1racyjacks, I would be careful about jumping so quickly onto a conclusion that you are being victimized by unfair discrimination. There are a million reasons why you may have not been accepted to the program, and you are choosing to believe the one that makes you feel the angriest and most helpless. 

well there's also 'I suck' which doesn't seem like a festive CNY option.... :ph34r:

well there's also 'I suck' which doesn't seem like a festive CNY option.... :ph34r:

How about this one: admissions are a completely subjective and largely random process, and maybe the decision-makers reading your dossier had indigestion and you happened to be at the bottom of a very big pile, with several very good applications on top of yours, and by the time the cranky flatulent adcomms got to you, they just wanted to go home and poop. So they read your materials too quickly, visions of toilets dancing in their heads, and they missed out on your genuine worth. 

I have to agree. If you have legitimate evidence to prove that this has happened to you, you might contact the University or department and present that evidence. But it sounds like you are basing this off of an assumed-rejection and an iffy comment by a stranger on the internet that they were unaware of of any current students from Asia. Berkeley is ranked #1in English and gets close to 500 applications for 10-20 spots. There is NO ONE who is a shoe-in for that program, no matter how good their work is or how productive their contact with a POI has been.

I hope that you get good news very soon but your signature in the face of no real substantive evidence is definitely unprofessional and potentially libelous. 

There were no English+Film Studies results posted, so I'm betting they are not completely done with things yet. 

I just went back and checked my Pitt SOP. I applied to Critical and Cultural Studies and specifically mentioned pursuing a doctoral certificate in Film Studies as well, so you just gave me the tiniest sliver of hope. I suppose I'll give it another week before crawling into a hole with Ben & Jerry.

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48

I have to agree. If you have legitimate evidence to prove that this has happened to you, you might contact the University or department and present that evidence. But it sounds like you are basing this off of an assumed-rejection and an iffy comment by a stranger on the internet that they were unaware of of any current students from Asia. Berkeley is ranked #1in English and gets close to 500 applications for 10-20 spots. There is NO ONE who is a shoe-in for that program, no matter how good their work is or how productive their contact with a POI has been.

I hope that you get good news very soon but your signature in the face of no real substantive evidence is definitely unprofessional and potentially libelous. 

:lol: these things -- there will never be legitimate evidence, simply because you can't prove such things.

I suppose I should change it, in case I get sued :rolleyes: and I still have to be all professional right? so let's go ahead.