Acceptance Freakout Thread

Haha, don't be. Is there at least a Whole Foods or a co-op? I've already checked that there is one near Buffalo (there's not; however, they're building one because I might be coming). I've also scoped out burrito availability and Indian food in the cities of my schools...

Thank you for validating my first reaction! Upon further research, Urbana/Champaign has a co-op and a natural food store... So there are options. 

Oh, first world problems. :)

Thank you for validating my first reaction! Upon further research, Urbana/Champaign has a co-op and a natural food store... So there are options. 

Oh, first world problems. :)

Strawberry Fields (the natural food store that I know of in UC) is FABULOUS. And the farmer's market is one of the best I've ever been to. UC was on my list of potential programs back in the days when I had visions of uprooting the family ;) My partner got her PhD there, she ADORED both the school and the location.

Strawberry Fields (the natural food store that I know of in UC) is FABULOUS. And the farmer's market is one of the best I've ever been to. UC was on my list of potential programs back in the days when I had visions of uprooting the family ;) My partner got her PhD there, she ADORED both the school and the location.

So happy to hear this! Thanks! I'd be moving to the middle of the country from California-- specifically, where I live right now is lovingly called "the salad bowl of the world"-- so I am stoked to hear I wouldn't have to sacrifice fresh veggies for my PhD!

Haha, don't be. Is there at least a Whole Foods or a co-op? I've already checked that there is one near Buffalo (there's not; however, they're building one because I might be coming). I've also scoped out burrito availability and Indian food in the cities of my schools...

Everyone I know from Buffalo is obsessed with Wegmans. I have no idea how similar it may or may not be to Whole Foods/Trader Joe's, but I liked it the one time I went. And there are a couple of good chain burrito places in Buffalo (Chiptole and Moe's), but I don't live close enough to know any of the local places. 

WEGMANS is amazing! I am so sad I'll be leaving it.

WEGMAN'S IS AMAZING! I used to work at TJ's and I live down the street from the biggest Whole Foods I've ever seen, but nothing is like Wegman's! I am VERY upset because they're building a Wegman's less than five miles from my house and we're trying to leave. Fresh Market is awesome, too, but it's super expensive and small compared to Wegman's. I didn't believe my boyfriend, but now I'm a total convert.

Sorry for the outburst, I'm not really sure what I'm doing on the acceptance thread!

Everyone I know from Buffalo is obsessed with Wegmans. 

WEGMANS is amazing! I am so sad I'll be leaving it.

WEGMAN'S IS AMAZING! 

Wow! That's some serious fanfare! I can't wait to check it out! There website looks crazy amazing... they're trying to make a shopping list for me with the recipe for tasty foods. 

I am VERY upset because they're building a Wegman's less than five miles from my house 

I'm super excited about this! Just found out a few weeks ago  :)

p.s. Trader Joe's is overrated, it's good for alcohol and stuff like desserts but you can't actually buy stuff to make a meal there.

I'm super excited about this! Just found out a few weeks ago  :)

p.s. Trader Joe's is overrated, it's good for alcohol and stuff like desserts but you can't actually buy stuff to make a meal there.

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Trader Joe's is a random collection of non-matching foods. Plus, I live in PA, so I can't even go there for cheap alcohol. Also, Wegman's is truly amazing. I definitely thought they were a Pennsylvania thing, but I'm glad other states get to share in awesomeness.

I had one of them. In off the wait list. Really surprised!

And you didn't even know you were on a waitlist huh? Cray-cray.

It's the last school I havent' heard from so once that's finalized I can really get down to brass tacks....

On the Trader Joes/Whole Food tip, we don't have any of those here in Lafayette, but we do have a wonderful, twice-weekly farmers market in downtown Lafayette and over the bridge on campus. Runs April-October. Tons of local produce, organic dairy, and human meat, as well as breads, soaps, etc. I hardly shop anywhere else during the season.

On the Trader Joes/Whole Food tip, we don't have any of those here in Lafayette, but we do have a wonderful, twice-weekly farmers market in downtown Lafayette and over the bridge on campus. Runs April-October. Tons of local produce, organic dairy, and human meat, as well as breads, soaps, etc. I hardly shop anywhere else during the season.

tumblr_lpxaj8h7Tz1qle6h7.gif

I just got back from the gym for the first time in weeks. I always forget how much exercise helps to clear my mind. Today, all of the stress of the application cycle-- of waiting to hear back, figuring out how to reply to professors, making travel plans, weighing my options-- disappeared, just for a minute or so. And during that moment, a blissful, ecstatic thought entered my mind:

Holy fuck. This fall, I will be a PhD student.

I have been so wrapped up in the immediate stressors and reactions that I had forgotten the bigger picture. I started to really boogie down on the treadmill, running, sweating, and dancing with pure joy and excitement. It's finally happening, and in just five or six months, I will be starting the next great adventure in my life, knee deep in books, teaching, and writing. Oh yeah, and I'll be getting paid for it all. 

I feel so much more at peace. And who knows? Maybe I'll actually start going to the gym more often. (Probably not. ;))