Canadian Schools

Psychologize13

Hi Everyone,

I realise that you're all busy with your applications and are anxiously waiting for replies! However, I'd really appreciate it if someone could take the time to answer a few questions!

I'm currently a penultimate year psychology student who is strongly considering applying to do Masters in either Developmental Psychology or School Psychology at UBC. According to their homepage they require a high 2:1 but there's no mention of how competitive it is. I'm really keen on doing my masters there and I was just wondering if anyone knew how competitive it is and also if a 2:1 (from University of Bath, UK) and a year long research internship at Oxford University would make me a competitive applicant. Furthermore, hopefully by mid-July I should be able to say that I've co-authored 2 published journal articles (currently under review).

I know most of you are still awaiting replies but honestly, any comment that would ease my anxiety would be much appreciated! Good luck to all of you!

Cheers!

It seems like everyone is focused on the clinical/counselling programs in this thread but I'll try to give you a little insight. I'm from the east coast so I'm not too familiar with the faculty at UBC, but I'm sure all of that research experience would make you competitive, especially for an experimental program.

For School Psych I'm guessing it would depend on how much UBC weighs research experience. I'm sure it matters, but for instance I have less research experience than you and have gotten into two School Psychology Masters programs. Mind you I did have a fair bit of experience working with youth. At the end of the day it's all a crapshoot and depends on who else applied and their backgrounds. Look at the results board and many highly qualified individuals get turned down across all programs every year.

Any reason why you are only considering UBC? Research fit? 

It seems like everyone is focused on the clinical/counselling programs in this thread but I'll try to give you a little insight. I'm from the east coast so I'm not too familiar with the faculty at UBC, but I'm sure all of that research experience would make you competitive, especially for an experimental program.

For School Psych I'm guessing it would depend on how much UBC weighs research experience. I'm sure it matters, but for instance I have less research experience than you and have gotten into two School Psychology Masters programs. Mind you I did have a fair bit of experience working with youth. At the end of the day it's all a crapshoot and depends on who else applied and their backgrounds. Look at the results board and many highly qualified individuals get turned down across all programs every year.

Any reason why you are only considering UBC? Research fit?

Well it's one of the overseas unis I'm looking at and there is fairly good research fit, especially among the Developmental Psych faculty! I'm still looking around but I do think that UBC will be the only non-UK institution I'll be applying to (UK institutions being considered: Cambridge, Oxford & Edinburgh). I've heard good things about it and I'd also prefer a 2 year masters in contrast to the 1 year masters offered in the UK.

Cheers!

Edited by TheCurmudgeon

Where did you hear about this? I applied to both Clinical and Counselling, and I haven't heard anything from OISE.  

Hear about April? On their website?

Heard about offers? One of my labmates got her official acceptance in the mail last week.

Has anyone heard anything from Ryerson lately? Acceptances/rejections or rough idea of when they'll be contacting people? 

I contacted my POI, I'm on the wait list as she has already made another offer to a student. I'm guessing that means first round offers have been made? Unless its POI dependent.

I contacted my POI, I'm on the wait list as she has already made another offer to a student. I'm guessing that means first round offers have been made? Unless its POI dependent.

Question, were you interviewed?

Thanks for letting me know! Good luck.

Shoot, they were my first choice. Oh well, thanks for the info :)

Rats! Don't give up completely, I did hear from someone else middle of March! My labmates research was very specific to the professor she was applying to so it may be prof dependent! It's crazy that OISE doesn't do interviews for clinical and counselling!!!  Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Has anyone heard anything from the MA in Counselling Psychology at Western? They posted on the website that interviews would be held the week of March 18-22 and you would be contacted one week prior if you got an interview. I haven't heard anything yet.

Rats! Don't give up completely, I did hear from someone else middle of March! My labmates research was very specific to the professor she was applying to so it may be prof dependent! It's crazy that OISE doesn't do interviews for clinical and counselling!!!  Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

I also applied to OISE School and Clinical Child Psychology. Do you know for sure that they are not doing interviews for Clinical? I went to an Information Session in the fall and they indicated that after they short list the applicants to 25, they may do interviews. Has this changed?

I also applied to OISE School and Clinical Child Psychology. Do you know for sure that they are not doing interviews for Clinical? I went to an Information Session in the fall and they indicated that after they short list the applicants to 25, they may do interviews. Has this changed?

I haven't heard or read anything about interviews at OISE, I was under the impression from the website that acceptance were sent out via snail mail. However, I think you would know better than I would as I didn't attend the information session. I'm just annoyed that they take so long extending acceptance and/or interview invites and I e-mailed the graduate secretary asking about the status of my application and I receied nothing in response. I won't be attending regardless, but I know a few people in which School and Clinical at OISE is their first choice and they're just waiting around before accepting other offers!

Has anyone heard anything from the MA in Counselling Psychology at Western? They posted on the website that interviews would be held the week of March 18-22 and you would be contacted one week prior if you got an interview. I haven't heard anything yet.

They already sent out a round of acceptances and rejections. You might be in that mid-group (probably waiting until others accept / reject to see if they offer you an interview)

Hey could yo pm me your poi? 

Thanks!

For those who have expressed interest in McGill, I was just told by my POI that there will be another faculty meeting regarding graduate applications this Friday (note: I applied to social). I'm not sure what that means in terms of when decisions will be sent out, but it seems as though unless you are in contact with your POI there hasn't been any information yet so I thought I would pass this along.

I haven't heard or read anything about interviews at OISE, I was under the impression from the website that acceptance were sent out via snail mail. However, I think you would know better than I would as I didn't attend the information session. I'm just annoyed that they take so long extending acceptance and/or interview invites and I e-mailed the graduate secretary asking about the status of my application and I receied nothing in response. I won't be attending regardless, but I know a few people in which School and Clinical at OISE is their first choice and they're just waiting around before accepting other offers!

The waiting is definitely a challenge, especially for those who are having to decide between offers! Hopefully we will all hear some news in the very near future!

For those who have expressed interest in McGill, I was just told by my POI that there will be another faculty meeting regarding graduate applications this Friday (note: I applied to social). I'm not sure what that means in terms of when decisions will be sent out, but it seems as though unless you are in contact with your POI there hasn't been any information yet so I thought I would pass this along.

that is helpful, thank you!

Any other news on Ryerson's MA? Should I contact my POI?

I personally would wait for them to contact you. I had two interviews with separate faculty members at Ryerson and both said they'd get back to me in March, however it is not entirely their decision when to get back to people, they have to go through the discussions with the admissions committees and extend first round offers etc so I think being patient and sticking to your original agreement is best (ex: mine was that they'd be in touch with me). If it helps, I haven't heard anything since the interviews in February but I'm still hopeful!