Canadian Schools

Psychologize13

Just a quick question-

Deep inside, i'm hoping that this news about uOttawa is wrong. I really don't want to move out of the city, but if I have to then I will. Here's to maybe hearing from a prof this week??? :S

I received two rejection emails from Waterloo and Queens.

Did the rejection email from Waterloo come directly from your POI, or was it a formal rejection email?

I'm just dying to hear some concrete news from Waterloo, Ottawa and McGill. 

Deep inside, i'm hoping that this news about uOttawa is wrong. I really don't want to move out of the city, but if I have to then I will. Here's to maybe hearing from a prof this week??? :S

I received two rejection emails from Waterloo and Queens.

Just a quick question-

Did the rejection email from Waterloo come directly from your POI, or was it a formal rejection email?

To be honest, I have not given up on Ottawa. No-one anywhere on the forums has posted anything about them (not even in the results section). Even on StudentDoctor nothing from those who applied (to clinical psychology program). Maybe it is because I have all my eggs in one basket, but I am not giving up that this week someone may contact me. 

Just a quick question-

McGill already had a meeting where the professors presented which students they were interested in for departmental approval (at least this is the case for Social/Personality). Apparently this is one of many steps in the process and they are currently waiting to hear about funding before making any official offers (which I was told is expected to take place mid-March). 

Oh, and I don't know if that means those who didn't hear back yet should necessarily expect a rejection. I never had an interview but had several e-mail conversations and one phone conversation (which was explicitly mentioned as not being an interview) with my POI. Everything is completely unofficial.

Edited by sdt13

On my application cycle I recieved a few belated responses, not because there was a debate as to acceptance or not but whether or not I would have funding.  It seemed like they wanted to hear back from other students they offered funding to before sending an acceptance to someone else with funding.

In either case, heres hoping for everyone!

Do graduate committees make admission decisions in waves? I've applied to school psych programs and noticed that someone has been accepted to UofC in the results page. This being my first time applying to grad schools I'm not sure how the process really works. My application still just says "complete"

Edited by dydx

Just a quick question-

The rejection came from a formal rejection email. Sent, let's see Queen's was sent on the 6th Feb, Waterloo on the 15th of Feb just to give you an idea. 

To be honest, I have not given up on Ottawa. No-one anywhere on the forums has posted anything about them (not even in the results section). Even on StudentDoctor nothing from those who applied (to clinical psychology program). Maybe it is because I have all my eggs in one basket, but I am not giving up that this week someone may contact me. 

I'm not giving up either. This application process is very slow this year compared to last year (this is my second time applying). Everyone has been saying the same thing. So don't give up hope because of what people supposedly heard. 

Story of the day:

Hey, so there was this "dilemma" that happened to me last week. I had applied to Ryerson's clinical psychology program. completed all of the materials and sent it via email as a pdf (as they had asked for) way before the deadline. However, as I began noticing on my my.ryerson.ca account there were still outstanding materials, such as the english proficiency test and some supplementary materials. I called in just out of curiosity and they said that I hadn't completed the statement of interest ??? Luckily I had a computer nearby (mind you i'm at work, this was not lunch time. I had to ask permission to spend a good 15 minutes on the phone with this person) so I checked and lo and behold, of course I had sent it in. So I told the lady on the phone to re-check again. After a couple of minutes of searching, she said "nvm it is here." WTF!

Oh and as for the english proficiency test, they voided it (obviously, seeing as I grew up in Canada all my life, with documents to prove it). SO FINALLY they sent my application to my profs of interest. 

they told me that professors at Ryerson will be looking at applicants and will make a decision either by next week or by the beginning of March.

this hasn't been the first Ryerson screwed me over. Last year I had to call (NOTE "I")  them at the end of May to see whether I had been rejected or waitlisted because I hadn't received ANYTHING from them. Obviously I was rejected, the woman who I was speaking with apologized for the lack of communication on behalf of the graduate studies and asks if I wanted them to snail mail a letter of rejection to me. Can anyone explain to me what is wrong with these people? why would I want a letter of rejection if I already know that I'm rejection, especially late in the year! 

Anyway, enough with my rants.

The rejection came from a formal rejection email. Sent, let's see Queen's was sent on the 6th Feb, Waterloo on the 15th of Feb just to give you an idea. 

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I still haven't heard anything from Waterloo- pretty sure I would much rather just get a decisions so I can figure out my life. 

And as for Ottawa, I'm glad to hear that there's a bunch of us out there who still hold out hope. 

I gave up on McGill almost as soon as I sent my application so I'm not expecting anything spectacular at all in that department.

Wishing everyone the best.

Let us know what's going on when you hear back.

Just a quick question-

Sad to break the news (Waterloo--Clinical Psychology only), but here it is: the committees have already concluded admissions process for this year. They are unlikely to be interviewing any more applicants or extending any further offers of admission. This was straight from the POI with whom I have worked with for over two years. So basically if you weren't invited for an in-person interview, you're out, which includes me.    

I'm not even interviewing at UBC until late March, so if it's any reassurance they can't have made all their decisions yet!

Did you just hear back from them? I applied to the developmental program too and haven't heard anything.

Could the person who was accepted to Ryerson's Clinical Psych program PM me with your POI (if you don't mind)? I'm starting to get antsy!

I'd also really like to know. could you pm me please? 

ryerson will be admitting people through mid march

:|

i interviewed at UBC like 3 weeks ago and figured i'd hear back soon. youre telling me it could be another month??!

Sounds like it :(

I was invited to interview early this month but wasn't able to make it. It may be PI-dependent, though!

I was invited to interview early this month but wasn't able to make it. It may be PI-dependent, though!

the thing earlier this month was actually a "recruitment weekend".

i'm told that if you got invited to that you're basically in. you still meet your prospective supervisor to assess whether or not you're a good fit but you probably aren't actually competing with anyone.

you missed out not attending recruitment weekend though. lots of free food and beer haha. and i guess getting to meet the rest of the incoming cohort was cool too ;)

who is your POI anyway? i met a few of the dev folks and they all seem super nice! (PM if you don't wanna post it in here)

the thing earlier this month was actually a "recruitment weekend".

i'm told that if you got invited to that you're basically in. you still meet your prospective supervisor to assess whether or not you're a good fit but you probably aren't actually competing with anyone.

you missed out not attending recruitment weekend though. lots of free food and beer haha. and i guess getting to meet the rest of the incoming cohort was cool too ;)

who is your POI anyway? i met a few of the dev folks and they all seem super nice! (PM if you don't wanna post it in here)

Ah! Good to know. I was bummed to miss the visit -- I had two other interviews that weekend and my POI at UBC was flexible (thankfully). I don't feel comfortable sharing my POI until I know for sure that I'm in -- still pretty nervous!

:|

i interviewed at UBC like 3 weeks ago and figured i'd hear back soon. youre telling me it could be another month??!

so if we werent invited to that thing early in the month we're out of the competition?

so if we werent invited to that thing early in the month we're out of the competition?

I don't think you're out just yet if you didn't attend the recruitment weekend. A number of the recruits had received a lot of other offers (many of them were from the states and had been accepted into awesome programs there). UBC POIs are waiting to see which other universities their prospective grad students get into in order to determine whether they will need to make offers to other students. 

My POI there told me to let him know the second I decided whether or not I'd be attending so he could find another student ASAP.

I don't think you're out just yet if you didn't attend the recruitment weekend. A number of the recruits had received a lot of other offers (many of them were from the states and had been accepted into awesome programs there). UBC POIs are waiting to see which other universities their prospective grad students get into in order to determine whether they will need to make offers to other students. 

My POI there told me to let him know the second I decided whether or not I'd be attending so he could find another student ASAP.

Thanks for the news. will you be accepting it?

Thanks for the news. will you be accepting it?

I'm still not sure. I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple other Universities, and I really want to make sure that my POI at UBC's research interests are a good match for me, and that I would be happy there. I've been having epic debates with myself about it...