Canadian Schools

Psychologize13

Just heard something from U Ottawa- I had e-mailed the admin assistant for the department to see what was shaking (asked advice about contacting POIs) and this is what I got back. The e-mail just said "Please note the evaluation committee will not be sending responses by the end of March"

I'm finding that somewhat annoying. April is a long way off, and I have other offers on the table that I need to evaluate after I have all the information available to me...

I think I will soon e-mail POIs to check and see whether they're even considering my application. 

Just a heads up about that.

So I understand that the Canadian schools typically take longer to evaluate applications, but does anyone have a rough idea as to when we should hear back in general? One of my applications was due December 1st, but I haven't heard a peep other than the POI requesting my GRE scores over a month ago because they got lost. 

Just heard something from U Ottawa- I had e-mailed the admin assistant for the department to see what was shaking (asked advice about contacting POIs) and this is what I got back. The e-mail just said "Please note the evaluation committee will not be sending responses by the end of March" I'm finding that somewhat annoying. April is a long way off, and I have other offers on the table that I need to evaluate after I have all the information available to me... I think I will soon e-mail POIs to check and see whether they're even considering my application.  Just a heads up about that.
That's weird. Someone on student doctor said they "knew" someone who got accepted into Uottawa. Don't they need to interview? Err. I called yesterday and spoke to grad secretary and she said by next week she hoped :/ I am not sure what is going on.

So I understand that the Canadian schools typically take longer to evaluate applications, but does anyone have a rough idea as to when we should hear back in general? One of my applications was due December 1st, but I haven't heard a peep other than the POI requesting my GRE scores over a month ago because they got lost. 

What school was this?

What school was this?

Victoria (social). I also haven't heard anything from Saskatchewan (applied social), but I know their final deadline was January 15th so I'm not as anxious about it. 

when you call, one person tells you something, another tells you something different. All I know is last year when I applied to Ottawa U, I overheard a girl during our Honours conference in May, saying that she had been admitted to Ottawa U's clinical psychology program. So who knows when they'll decide

when you call, one person tells you something, another tells you something different. All I know is last year when I applied to Ottawa U, I overheard a girl during our Honours conference in May, saying that she had been admitted to Ottawa U's clinical psychology program. So who knows when they'll decide

Hey I totally agree with you. One thing is for sure, thinking about it, checking emails constantly or infoweb are not bring the results here quicker. I am going to have to do some cognitive behaviour modifications for the month of March. I do not want to consume myself anymore waiting around. It will happen when it does. 

Several individuals I know have received rejections and acceptances from:

1. Waterloo, Saskatchewan, SFU, York, Calgary

Interviews:

1. Saskatchewan, Western Ontario, SFU, Ryerson, Calgary

FYI some of these are based on funding/profs so don't apply to everyone

Interviews:

For the top set, were the ones from SFUand Saskatchewan acceptances or rejections? I haven't heard anything back after my interviews for those schools.

Edited by FacelessMage

Re: McGill, I'm trying to figure out their system. I read about people's statuses being changed from "Ready to Review" to "Refused" OR "Recommended to Department". For those of us who stay at Ready to Review, does that mean that we can technically still be wait-listed (i.e. after the first offers are accepted/rejected)? Or is it just that the system doesn't change and we'll eventually be rejected? 

What do people think?

I think that ours just haven't been evaluated yet. I believe for counselling the professional/intership applicants have been rejected or invited for an interview, but I don't think the research applicants have been emailed yet.

For the top set, were the ones from SFUand Saskatchewan acceptances or rejections? I haven't heard anything back after my interviews for those schools.

They were acceptances, but just because you haven't heard doesn't mean you're out! Good luck :)

Re: McGill, I'm trying to figure out their system. I read about people's statuses being changed from "Ready to Review" to "Refused" OR "Recommended to Department". For those of us who stay at Ready to Review, does that mean that we can technically still be wait-listed (i.e. after the first offers are accepted/rejected)? Or is it just that the system doesn't change and we'll eventually be rejected? 

What do people think?

Yes, Ready to Review just means they're looking it over, some very very top applicants can hold up the system sometimes (ex: I've known candidates in past years who held acceptance offers at all programs they applied to and all individuals were waiting to see which school they'd choose before moving on), darn those annoyances ;)

Does anyone else's UBC "submitted applications" page not actually show a status when you click the status button? Mine just says like student number, name, birthdate  etc. and the status of letters of reference. I'm pretty sure it's looked like this since I first submitted.

Does anyone else's UBC "submitted applications" page not actually show a status when you click the status button? Mine just says like student number, name, birthdate  etc. and the status of letters of reference. I'm pretty sure it's looked like this since I first submitted.

Yeah that is exactly what mine looks like. I just assume they will let me know by email eventually...

Based on what other people have posted I am expecting a rejection

Interviews:

What did you hear about Calgary? I haven't gotten contacted for an interview yet.. but no rejection either.

What did you hear about Calgary? I haven't gotten contacted for an interview yet.. but no rejection either.

I know someone who got accepted to Calgary last week. However, I have other friends who still have heard nothing. I think it's POI dependant.

I know someone who got accepted to Calgary last week. However, I have other friends who still have heard nothing. I think it's POI dependant.

I just spoke to them. They sent out their first round of acceptances and rejections.. to those who haven't heard anything, we're up in the air.. depending on the applicants who got an acceptance, we may get an interview if they don't take it. there is no deadline for this. 

When is it appropriate, if at all, to inquire about your status? To whom do you inquire (secretary or POI)? I don't know anything about the Canadian system so I'm not sure if I should consider the schools I have yet to hear from (at all) as rejections. The only reason why I'm still hanging on is because my POI at McGill suggested that Canada takes much longer or starts later with the decision process than the US...but now it's starting to drive me crazy.

I just spoke to them. They sent out their first round of acceptances and rejections.. to those who haven't heard anything, we're up in the air.. depending on the applicants who got an acceptance, we may get an interview if they don't take it. there is no deadline for this. 

I received my unofficial offer two weeks ago and my official offer from the graduate secretary at U of C last week and I believe they accepted around 6 students. Will make decisions as soon as possible as the waitlist process is dreadfully painful! Good luck everyone!

Anyone apply to OISE for Clinical? I know Counselling offers have been made, this is the only school I haven't heard from at all. The website says early April! Frustrating!

Hi Everyone,

I realise that you're all busy with your applications and are anxiously waiting for replies! However, I'd really appreciate it if someone could take the time to answer a few questions!

I'm currently a penultimate year psychology student who is strongly considering applying to do Masters in either Developmental Psychology or School Psychology at UBC. According to their homepage they require a high 2:1 but there's no mention of how competitive it is. I'm really keen on doing my masters there and I was just wondering if anyone knew how competitive it is and also if a 2:1 (from University of Bath, UK) and a year long research internship at Oxford University would make me a competitive applicant. Furthermore, hopefully by mid-July I should be able to say that I've co-authored 2 published journal articles (currently under review).

I know most of you are still awaiting replies but honestly, any comment that would ease my anxiety would be much appreciated! Good luck to all of you!

Cheers!

Edited by TheCurmudgeon

Anyone apply to OISE for Clinical? I know Counselling offers have been made, this is the only school I haven't heard from at all. The website says early April! Frustrating!

Where did you hear about this? I applied to both Clinical and Counselling, and I haven't heard anything from OISE.