Canadian Schools

Psychologize13

I haven't heard back yet but I know of a couple of people who applied for the clinical developmental program and received Open House invites last week.

Still waiting but not very hopeful...

The open house is actually tomorrow, (Feb 15th) sorry guys... :(

In our program nationality doesn't make a difference; we accept Americans (and other international students) and they're funded so it ends up as the same level as domestic students. The more unfortunate issue (for you) is that you can't apply for the significant external scholarships like SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR, and OGS. At my school that means you're 'stuck' with the internal funding ($22-25k/year - $7k tuition) instead of having access to the big bucks.

You are right in that you can't apply to SSHRC, NSERC and CIHR.. but internationals can apply to OGS.. and SHOULD!

You are right in that you can't apply to SSHRC, NSERC and CIHR.. but internationals can apply to OGS.. and SHOULD!

Oops, my mistake! Yes, definitely apply to OGS for next year.

I heard that Ottawa has their departmental meeting on February 15, so supervisors have to give their first choices then.

i heard from someone that they already got contacted a couple weeks ago

so which one is it???

so which one is it???

I'm seconding this sentiment.

Anyone with info that could help to illuminate the reason for this discrepancy..?

Also torontoclinical, I also applied to McGill and haven't heard anything back yet. 

so which one is it???

Anyone with info that could help to illuminate the reason for this discrepancy..?

Also torontoclinical, I also applied to McGill and haven't heard anything back yet. 

I know the suspense is really bugging me. I hate discrepancies (well maybe I don't hate them, but in this case, it is making me super nervous. 

Edited by FCP

I know the suspense is really bugging me. I hate discrepancies (well maybe I don't hate them, but in this case, it is making me super nervous. 

so which one is it???

I meant to say someone was invited for an interview. sorry about the stress it may have caused you. 

I applied to mcgill clinical and havent heard a word. 

so which one is it???

Sorry, I didn't realize my initial post was misleading. For them to have given their first choices on Feb 15, I am assuming they already interviewed the applicants they were interested in. I don't think they can rank their choices without having interviewed them.

Sorry, I didn't realize my initial post was misleading. For them to have given their first choices on Feb 15, I am assuming they already interviewed the applicants they were interested in. I don't think they can rank their choices without having interviewed them.

well that is some pretty sad news. :(

One more thing. I talked to my professor at my university about the process. She informed me that they have a couple of these department meetings. In stage 1 - the professors discuss which students they would like to interview (according to their rankings - all the professors involved). At this point they are choosing who to invite for emails. At stage 2 - they have a department meeting to discuss the interviews they had and who they want to keep or not. So I guess the question is, which stage is the University of Ottawa (clinical psychology) at? 

Have they already sent out interview request? Or was this "Feb 15" meeting to discuss who they wanted to interview? 

I haven't seen any interview request in the results section...

Has anyone been requested for an interview? 

Has anyone received an offer from York yet?

Just got an email from my POI saying that I was accepted and that I'd get an official letter from the department head this week!

Just got an email from my POI saying that I was accepted and that I'd get an official letter from the department head this week!

Also, was this just for Clinical students or for the Cognitive/Developmental students as well?

Also, was this just for Clinical students or for the Cognitive/Developmental students as well?

Yeah I also applied to the cognitive/developmental program so I am hoping they just haven't made decisions yet

Yeah I also applied to the cognitive/developmental program so I am hoping they just haven't made decisions yet

There are 7 areas of graduate psychology at York, but the orientation day was for Clinical and Clinical Developmental only...as for cognitive/educational/social etc. I don't really know how the process works...the clinical area is dealt with separately from all the other areas unfortunately. Sorry :(  good luck with your applications!

Bummer about Ottawa then.

I'm having a difficult time gauging what's going on at Canadian schools based on the results section- it seems like there aren't very many Canadian applicants posting acceptances/rejections. 

Has anyone heard from Waterloo's clinical program? One entry in the results says that they were rejected "and if you haven't received an admit yet you probably won't"- but there's only three postings about Clinical psych on there... I've e-mailed my POI and I'm waiting to hear back. In the mean time, if you've heard from Waterloo please let me know.

Bummer about Ottawa then.

I'm having a difficult time gauging what's going on at Canadian schools based on the results section- it seems like there aren't very many Canadian applicants posting acceptances/rejections.

Has anyone heard from Waterloo's clinical program? One entry in the results says that they were rejected "and if you haven't received an admit yet you probably won't"- but there's only three postings about Clinical psych on there... I've e-mailed my POI and I'm waiting to hear back. In the mean time, if you've heard from Waterloo please let me know.

Deep inside, i'm hoping that this news about uOttawa is wrong. I really don't want to move out of the city, but if I have to then I will. Here's to maybe hearing from a prof this week??? :S

I received two rejection emails from Waterloo and Queens.

Deep inside, i'm hoping that this news about uOttawa is wrong. I really don't want to move out of the city, but if I have to then I will. Here's to maybe hearing from a prof this week??? :S

I received two rejection emails from Waterloo and Queens.

I wish you luck.. I haven't gotten a rejection from waterloo yet.. but I am expecting it.. the only reason why I wouldnt would be if someone decides to reject their acceptance.. and then they hold more interviews.