Canadian Schools

Psychologize13

I was contacted by Ryerson and Guelph a couple weeks ago for interviews. I know that not all faculty at Ryerson have reviewed applications at this point, though. I believe Guelph will be making decisions shortly. No word from anywhere else. Still too early in the game, so stay positive!

Thanks for the info!  Did you apply to the Clinical Psychology programs at Ryerson and Guelph?

Edited by sm77

Hello all.  I am an American student who has applied to McGill's PhD program in Counselling Psychology. Anyone else out there looking at this particular program?  Anyone know anything about when decisions might be made?  I haven't heard anything yet, my status still reads "Ready for Review."  I will post if I get any information and if others would do the same that would be just wonderful. Thanks !

I've applied to McGill's MA program in Counselling psychology, my status is 'Ready for Review' as well.

I applied to a PhD in School/Applied Psychology and my status is also 'Ready for Review' (same dept).  The McGill page says we will be notified by April 1st and in searching the gradcafe site in the Results Search section people seem to find out at the end of March

I applied to a PhD in School/Applied Psychology and my status is also 'Ready for Review' (same dept).  The McGill page says we will be notified by April 1st and in searching the gradcafe site in the Results Search section people seem to find out at the end of March

Good to know, wish it was closer though. End of March still seems so far away!!

What exactly are the chances of an American being funded for a Canadian PhD? My POI told me that American students cost significantly more to fund, so I was wondering if it was common or not. 

What exactly are the chances of an American being funded for a Canadian PhD? My POI told me that American students cost significantly more to fund, so I was wondering if it was common or not. 

In our program nationality doesn't make a difference; we accept Americans (and other international students) and they're funded so it ends up as the same level as domestic students. The more unfortunate issue (for you) is that you can't apply for the significant external scholarships like SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR, and OGS. At my school that means you're 'stuck' with the internal funding ($22-25k/year - $7k tuition) instead of having access to the big bucks.

In our program nationality doesn't make a difference; we accept Americans (and other international students) and they're funded so it ends up as the same level as domestic students. The more unfortunate issue (for you) is that you can't apply for the significant external scholarships like SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR, and OGS. At my school that means you're 'stuck' with the internal funding ($22-25k/year - $7k tuition) instead of having access to the big bucks.

Thanks for the info~  But what university/program are you in ?

Social psychology, though I'd rather not say where. I just meant it as encouragement that I think most places will take good candidates regardless of where they're from :)

Social psychology, though I'd rather not say where. I just meant it as encouragement that I think most places will take good candidates regardless of where they're from :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

This is what I am really hoping for! I was just notified that I was approved by the social/personality department for a PhD position at McGill, however, my offer is contingent on funding. 

And just as an FYI, I dont know about any other Canadian programs, but I was told at McGill there is a difference in funding for a Quebec student (~$1200/yr), a Canadian student (~8k/yr), and an international/American student (~20k/yr). 

Does anyone know if all of the Open House invitations for York have already been extended? Thank you in advance!

I was wondering about this too. Any info would be great!

Does anyone know if all of the Open House invitations for York have already been extended? Thank you in advance!

I was wondering about this too. Any info would be great!

I haven't heard back yet but I know of a couple of people who applied for the clinical developmental program and received Open House invites last week.

Still waiting but not very hopeful...

Has anyone received any type of correspondence (i.e., scheduling interviews, open house days, the acceptance timeline, etc.) from OISE, University of Guelph, or University of Ottawa? 

Thanks very much to all.

I applied to University of Ottawa for Clinical Psychology, I have not heard anything back at all yet. 

If you have, I would love to know. 

I applied to University of Ottawa for Clinical Psychology, I have not heard anything back at all yet. 

If you have, I would love to know. 

I heard that Ottawa has their departmental meeting on February 15, so supervisors have to give their first choices then.

I've applied to McGill's MA program in Counselling psychology, my status is 'Ready for Review' as well.

McGill's counselling program hasn't started looking at their applicants yet. I was told they wont do so before March.

I heard that Ottawa has their departmental meeting on February 15, so supervisors have to give their first choices then.

Wow, I would love to know who which birdie told you this news (PM if you would like). 

Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I can breathe for the next couple of days without horrible thoughts of rejection. :)

Do you know if the open house is only for the clinical developmental program or for all of the psychology programs? 

I talked to my POI in the fall and she said that funding was difficult for American students, so that might be why I haven't heard back.

I have the same situation and received the same response. I noticed some people have heard about invitations for visiting weekend, but it looks like it wasn't for Developmental/Cognitive Sciences. Has anyone had any updates?

McGill's counselling program hasn't started looking at their applicants yet. I was told they wont do so before March.

Hi,

Who was your source for this info?  Also, do you think the March timeframe applies to PhD candidates as well, or just to Master's level ones?  Thanks !

Edited by gso97

University of Saskatchewan should be notifying people about acceptances within the next week to two weeks. I'm hoping I'll hear back from UBCO before then.

Is this for all programs? Is it common for Canadian schools to not hold interviews?

Is this for all programs? Is it common for Canadian schools to not hold interviews?

I think it's just for the clinical program. Interviews invites for clinical got sent out last week, and I think most of the shortlisted applicants have been interviewed already (I had my interview yesterday, someone on SND mentioned that there were only 10 people on the shortlist).

I don't know if non-clinical programs have interviews (I only applied to one non-clinical program and they don't have interviews for it).