Canadian Schools

Psychologize13

Unfortunately, this is not the case. A lab mate of mine has received her official offer and already accepted it (Counselling Psychology). It could be POI dependent, but offers have been made in some cases :(

I might just be grasping at straws here... but was this MA or MEd?

Hey guys, just heard from Ryerson today. Got the sad news. By the sound of it I may also be expecting bad news from OISE (clinical and counselling Psychology).  :(

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard from University of Ottawa (educational counselling program)?  :ph34r:

Edited by crestfallen999

For those interested, a friend of mine has applied to ubc psych.

Their first wave of admissions was sent some time back and deadline for a response mid-march.

The second wave was sent early this month, and the deadline for those responses is mid-april. 

Has anyone heard from Saskatchewan or Victoria yet? Specifically social?

I haven't heard anything from Victoria (clinical) but I heard they're pretty slow (late March) according to studentdoctor and past admissions info on the results section here. Rejected unofficially from Sask already but again for clinical, not sure how much overlap there is in decision making times.

For those interested, a friend of mine has applied to ubc psych.

Their first wave of admissions was sent some time back and deadline for a response mid-march.

The second wave was sent early this month, and the deadline for those responses is mid-april. 

Just out of curiosity, if you happen to know the answer to this... they can't force any students to answer until April 15th. The CPA sets that date so that students aren't forced to accept an offer before they have heard from all schools. How is UBC enforcing an early deadline?

Just out of curiosity, if you happen to know the answer to this... they can't force any students to answer until April 15th. The CPA sets that date so that students aren't forced to accept an offer before they have heard from all schools. How is UBC enforcing an early deadline?

I thought this was weird too when somebody mentioned U of Alberta doing it, so I did some digging. It's a CPA policy but not binding on universities if they choose not to follow it:

Policy for offers of graduate admission and/or financial support 

The Board of Directors of CPA approved the following as a policy of the Association on June16, 1979, and 
makes copies of this statement available to departments for distribution to prospective students. The policy 
is designed to provide prospective students and departments with a period of time in which it is understood 
that offers of financial assistance will be made and can be considered and freely accepted. 
1. Departments will endeavour to make offers of admission and/or support to applicants before April 
1st. 
2. Applicants have until April 15th to accept an offer of admission. 
3. After April 15, offers will be made only to applicants who state that they are not committed to 
another department. 

Meaning of the Policy for Prospective Students 

Within this policy prospective students should not feel pressured to accept awards before April 15, when 
they will have had an opportunity to consider all of their options. A student who accepts an award ties up a 
position and money that could have been offered to another student. Therefore, after April 15 that student is 
not regarded as free to accept an award at another University without the written approval of the first 
Department. Prospective students who had previously indicated acceptance of an award must then obtain a 
written release from the first Department before they are free to accept another award. 

Note that the Policy for Prospective Students is endorsed by the CPA but is not necessarily binding on students 
or programs.

Personally I think it's short-sighted to give students an earlier deadline, like choosing defect in a prisoner's dilemma.

The cpa set date isn't reinforced by anthing other than goodwill.

I emailed my POI in Saskatchewan (applied social) to inquire about the application process. He said that things should wrap up by the end of March or the first couple of days in April, as right now they are working on funding. He said that since I dont have external funding I am competing for the scholarship and so I should be patient.

just found this website - damn, this would have been great in the past couple weeks when I was trying to make decisions!

Anyway, figured I'd chip in and see if this helps anyone. I've received acceptances from Queen's, Western and Guelph (although my Guelph letter only arrived a couple days ago by mail, so it was pretty slow). The only Canadian school I haven't heard back from yet is Waterloo, although I've heard they've sent out a round of acceptances already. 

Also, for those asking about the CPA date - schools can and do ignore that date sometimes. I had to make my decision pretty quickly because Western sets a deadline of March 20th.

Edited by sarah-bellum

FYI - U Victoria is also trying to figure out funding. My POI asked if I was willing to become a Canadian permanent resident. Does anyone know about this process? I've always said that if I went to Canada for grad school that I would try to stay there, but I thought I wasn't able to apply for residency (with benefits) until after graduating.

I applied to Developmental Psychology & Education (MA) at OISE.  I got sick of waiting so I tried calling and emailing last week, with no response. Finally got through today and they told me that if I hadn't heard by now I am rejected.  So frustrating! You think they could at least let us know :(

Ah well, I was accepted elsewhere with funding so I'll live! I just thought I would post in case anyone else was still waiting to hear from OISE.

Ok so I haven't received any snail mail from U of T (OISE), but I got an email yesterday, concerning residence..... here is how the beginning of the email goes:

"Dear [my name],

Thank you for your recent application to the School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto.

We are excited to let you know about an easy, online application for on-campus residence!  In order to apply for on-campus residence (including student family housing) you need to activate your JOINid (details below).   Since on-campus residence space is limited, you are encouraged to complete the application as soon as possible. Blah blah blah"

So my question is, did anyone else receive this email? This is my second round of applications and it is the first time U of T has sent me this kind of email. 

Ok so I haven't received any snail mail from U of T (OISE), but I got an email yesterday, concerning residence..... here is how the beginning of the email goes:

"Dear [my name],

Thank you for your recent application to the School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto.

We are excited to let you know about an easy, online application for on-campus residence!  In order to apply for on-campus residence (including student family housing) you need to activate your JOINid (details below).   Since on-campus residence space is limited, you are encouraged to complete the application as soon as possible. Blah blah blah"

So my question is, did anyone else receive this email? This is my second round of applications and it is the first time U of T has sent me this kind of email. 

I have also applied to OISE at U of T and have not received anything via Canada Post yet, but I also received this email yesterday.  Check the "Waiting it Out" thread under Canadian School Applicants for a few more comments about this email from U of T. 

Maybe a good question would be has anyone who applied to U of T or OISE in particular not received this email about residence?  Hopefully, we will all hear soon about the status of our applications.

I have also applied to OISE at U of T and have not received anything via Canada Post yet, but I also received this email yesterday.  Check the "Waiting it Out" thread under Canadian School Applicants for a few more comments about this email from U of T. 

Maybe a good question would be has anyone who applied to U of T or OISE in particular not received this email about residence?  Hopefully, we will all hear soon about the status of our applications.

I can answer that question. I applied mainly to clinical but did apply to MSW at U of T and I read that others who applied to that program got emails, and I did not. Hope that helps.

Has anyone heard from McGill social yet? My POI told me that if there is a small incoming class that he would be abel to fund a student this year, but so far there hasn't been any activity on the results board.

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone is planning on attending Western for counselling psychology, or any psych programs?

I'm going to Western for social psych. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat :)

Anyone else going to Victoria for any kind of psych? It seems like a small program so I'm curious how many people will be in my cohort.

Just got word that I lost my chance to get off the waitlist at Carleton because the emails I was sending to the supervisor who was interested in working with me kept going into her junk mail. I'm super annoyed (haven't been overly impressed with the professionalism at Carleton to begin with, not since the initial troubles I had just trying to access my application and the 3 weeks it took to process it after I submtted it). I probbaly won't be reapplying next year.

Also got my rejection from Saskatchewan's clinical program. Hopefully I will hear back from UBC Okanagan (they're apparently still reviewing files), but I've lost hope at this point.

• 2 weeks later...