Canadian school applicants

bedmas

Anyone get accepted into Carleton U for MA Communications? Received a response end of February with scholarship and just seeing if anyone else was accepted!

1st choice is Ryerson's MA Communication program and still waiting for a response from them.

Also! I forgot to mention, I think you made the right choice. So don't worry about it so much, I know you really wanted to go to waterloo but SFU was better for you. (IMO)

Oh yeah, I have no regrets about accepting SFU and I do feel it's the right choice. Doesn't mean I'm not a little disappointed that I will have to miss out on Waterloo, I really wish I could do both, although I accept that I can't. I am curious to see if there are any conferences or inter-institutional projects that might let me experience a bit of what goes on in the XDM. I am also interested to see what people at Carleton's lab are working on, I'll get a glimpse of it in may when I go to their Interface conference.

It depends on a number of factors-the most important being, how badly do they want you. Some universities have discretionary funding for recruiting top students. That is one possible source of income. The other is that your POI could top you up with a bursary. It does happen but it is specific to your circumstances and where you rank among candidates. It is worth a shot. You should say something like "You are my top choice but I am considering going elsewhere because of their financial incentives. I really want to join your department/lab/etc is there anything that you can do"

etc

Agree with above. Some schools that have set unionized funding that is advertised on their website do not change their funding, it's set across the board. The only wiggle room in that case is if a supervisor has extra research dollars and takes you on as an RA. It never hurts to ask though :) You don't even have to tell them they are your top choice, something as simple as "While I am very interested in undertaking my research at __University__, I have received a funding offer of $X from Xschool. Are you able to match or compete with that offer?" or something along those lines. The grad committee knows that finances are a consideration for pretty much anyone applying to the program so it is not uncommon for them to receive a request for an increased funding package. Heck, sometimes even just asking for an extension on the timeline you need to respond by or otherwise delaying your acceptance to a program can gain you more money.

Edit: You can also ask them if there are entrance scholarships available that they would be able to nominate you for and other things like that.

Thanks for the insight, selecttext and Nerd_For_Life, much appreciated!

I applied at Ryerson for Professional Communication and for MPPA, but I haven't heard back from either, and I haven't even seen any one get a response for the MPPA.  Does Ryerson usually take this long to get back to applicants?  Does anyone know what Ryerson updates first: snail-mail, email or RAMS?

Edited by nedstark

Woo got into Queen's today!  Now a tough decision to make, can anyone provide some insight into the benefits and disadvantages of either program?  I would really appreciate your advice!

I heard last month from Queen's MPA and today they sent me an email about funding. 

It was my second choice because I was going to do the joint JD-MPA program at Queen's. But now I've been accepted to NPSIA and the joint JD-NPSIA program at U of O/Carleton is my top choice so I'll be turning down Queen's. 

In terms of the other programs, I'm not as knowledgeable about since I was only looking at joint programs with a law degree.

Congratulations and good luck making a decision! 

I applied at Ryerson for Communications and for MPPA, but I haven't heard back from either, and I haven't even seen any one get a response for the MPPA.  Does Ryerson usually take this long to get back to applicants?  Does anyone know what Ryerson updates first: snail-mail, email or RAMS?

I applied to Professional Communication and MPPA (not sure if that's the same Communication as you), but I got in to Professional Communication a few weeks ago by snail mail. It was my first choice so I sent in my deposit and acceptance last week. The deadline to accept was March 29th. I haven't heard from MPPA yet though.

I applied to Professional Communication and MPPA (not sure if that's the same Communication as you), but I got in to Professional Communication a few weeks ago by snail mail. It was my first choice so I sent in my deposit and acceptance last week. The deadline to accept was March 29th. I haven't heard from MPPA yet though.

Congrats, and thanks for the info!  Yep, same two programs for me. Was it just the snailmail or did you receive an update via RAMS and/or email as well?

Woo got into Queen's today!  Now a tough decision to make, can anyone provide some insight into the benefits and disadvantages of either program?  I would really appreciate your advice!

I was also accepted to both UofT's MPP and Queen's MPA programs (as well as two other schools). I have to admit that Toronto was my first choice, though conveniently, their program also offered me more in funding than Queen's did.

To me, when I did my research, UofT had a more complete program, better course offerings, better instructors, far superior internship opportunities (and a mandatory paid internship at that - great experience, plus Queen's does not guarantee an internship), and above all, better networking opportunities. There is also a certain amount of prestige attached to UofT's program. I have siblings who have previously attended/are currently attending graduate programs at UofT, all of whom found great benefit in the university, and (those who are finished) have found that being a UofT grad really made a difference to potential employers.

Major upsides I considered with Queen's MPA: shorter program, lower overall cost.

Ultimately though, I decided that, in the long run, the extra time and cost of going to UofT will be more than worth it.

Best of luck deciding !! 

I applied to six schools for PhD,of them, U of T and Carleton rejected me, Calgary and McGill accepted me and I havn't heard from Ottawa and York yet. I am not waiting for the last two, as I have already confirmed McGill's offer which was my first choice.

With getting into McGill my dream came true, and I wish everybody else best of luck with their applications!

I heard last month from Queen's MPA and today they sent me an email about funding. 

It was my second choice because I was going to do the joint JD-MPA program at Queen's. But now I've been accepted to NPSIA and the joint JD-NPSIA program at U of O/Carleton is my top choice so I'll be turning down Queen's. 

In terms of the other programs, I'm not as knowledgeable about since I was only looking at joint programs with a law degree.

Congratulations and good luck making a decision! 

Thank you for the kind words and congrats on getting into your first choice for the Carleton/O joint JD/NPSIA!  From what I've heard, it's an excellent program so all the best!

I was also accepted to both UofT's MPP and Queen's MPA programs (as well as two other schools). I have to admit that Toronto was my first choice, though conveniently, their program also offered me more in funding than Queen's did.

To me, when I did my research, UofT had a more complete program, better course offerings, better instructors, far superior internship opportunities (and a mandatory paid internship at that - great experience, plus Queen's does not guarantee an internship), and above all, better networking opportunities. There is also a certain amount of prestige attached to UofT's program. I have siblings who have previously attended/are currently attending graduate programs at UofT, all of whom found great benefit in the university, and (those who are finished) have found that being a UofT grad really made a difference to potential employers.

Major upsides I considered with Queen's MPA: shorter program, lower overall cost.

Ultimately though, I decided that, in the long run, the extra time and cost of going to UofT will be more than worth it.

Best of luck deciding !! 

Wow thank you for the detailed and comprehensive response!  I really appreciate your insight and I was already leaning towards UofT and your research, together with my own, has confirmed to me that UofT is the right decision.

It's interesting how I was also offered more funding from UofT, for some reason I thought Queen's would have offered prospective grad students more.  On a side note, I spoke to Anita and she told me that the school offers a Math camp in August for three weeks as a refresher and the Orientation is the day after Labour day in case you weren't already aware.

Thank you very much again and looking forward to meeting you this fall!

Edited by Piresent

Congrats, and thanks for the info!  Yep, same two programs for me. Was it just the snailmail or did you receive an update via RAMS and/or email as well?

It was only snail mail. RAMS never updated and I was never emailed either. A little old school, but I'll go with it. I hope you hear from them soon!

Wow thank you for the detailed and comprehensive response!  I really appreciate your insight and I was already leaning towards UofT and your research, together with my own, has confirmed to me that UofT is the right decision.

It's interesting how I was also offered more funding from UofT, for some reason I thought Queen's would have offered prospective grad students more.  On a side note, I spoke to Anita and she told me that the school offers a Math camp in August for three weeks as a refresher and the Orientation is the day after Labour day in case you weren't already aware.

Thank you very much again and looking forward to meeting you this fall!

I also thought Queen's would have offered more in funding, but I was pleasantly surprised to get (any) funding from UofT.

I had been made aware about orientation, but thanks for the update on the Math camp refresher! I'm out on the East Coast, so it's something that I'll have to consider flying in for.

Looking forward to meeting you as well!

It was only snail mail. RAMS never updated and I was never emailed either. A little old school, but I'll go with it. I hope you hear from them soon!

Thanks so much for the info and for your kind words!

And I'm really sorry because I went to click the green arrow next to your post and I somehow clicked the red one instead.  There doesn't seem to be a way to undo this, so I voted up some of your past posts to try and make up for it =P 

Thanks again, and congratulations on getting into the program you wanted!

Edited by nedstark

Welp, looks like I'm not going to Queen's - they just capped all of their grad programs, because even though most docs take 5+ years, forcing people to pass a closed process at the end of their 4th year (that may give them the boot anyhow) is an amazing idea. Why? Because Queen's, that's why.

http://www.westerngazette.ca/2013/03/20/queens-passes-degree-time-limits/

http://queensjournal.ca/story/2013-03-15/opinions/deadlines-without-consideration/

http://www.universityaffairs.ca/the-phd-is-in-need-of-revision.aspx#latest_data

Hi everyone,

New to Gradcafe. Applied to Ryerson MPPA and haven't heard back, though today I noticed that they've closed the program to international applicants. When I called grad admissions, they said that acceptance packages are done by mail but rejections via email. 

Has anybody heard back (acceptances or rejections)? 

Did anyone apply to University of Saskatchewan? Especially I am interested in applicants to Agricultural Economics program (Msc and PhD) - have you heard from them? Are you going to attend or decline the offer?

Edited by fannek

Hey,

I applied to the UofT MPP program and I just received an e-mail from SGS Admissions asking me to apply online for housing. At first I thought that this was an indication that I was accepted into the program but at the bottom of the e-mail it states "Residence offers are only made to those who receive admission to U of T"...so I'm guessing that this is just a generic e-mail.

Did anyone else get this e-mail? Does anyone have any news on UofT MPP admissions?

Also, on another note, I noticed that York University extended their application deadline for the 2nd time to April. I'm just wondering what this means for early applicants and if anyone has any information on that.

Edited by H2T

Although I'm in another program (social work), I received that email as well, as did many others in my program.  Unfortunately it is not an indication of admission but is really a generic email sent to everyone, like you already thought.

All the best on your application, I hope you hear good news soon.

Hey,

I applied to the UofT MPP program and I just received an e-mail from SGS Admissions asking me to apply online for housing. At first I thought that this was an indication that I was accepted into the program but at the bottom of the e-mail it states "Residence offers are only made to those who receive admission to U of T"...so I'm guessing that this is just a generic e-mail.

Did anyone else get this e-mail? Does anyone have any news on UofT MPP admissions?

Also, on another note, I noticed that York University extended their application deadline for the 2nd time to April. I'm just wondering what this means for early applicants and if anyone has any information on that.

so ive been accepted to UofT MPP, and Waterloo's MPS and still waiting on Ryerson MPPA. What are the pros can cons of a policy focused program vs. admin focus program? Also i feel like i am the only person whom applied to Waterloo MPS this year! lol

so ive been accepted to UofT MPP, and Waterloo's MPS and still waiting on Ryerson MPPA. What are the pros can cons of a policy focused program vs. admin focus program? Also i feel like i am the only person whom applied to Waterloo MPS this year! lol
Congrats! When did you find out you that had been accepted to the MPP program at U of T?

Congrats! When did you find out you that had been accepted to the MPP program at U of T?

Thanks! I found out a couple weeks ago, I had contacted UofT and they (anita) told me that they have exactly 50 more offers going out. A couple days later i got my email.