Canadian school applicants

bedmas

Congrats, what's your first choice? 

Right now it's a tie between UofT, Queens and McMaster. There is quite a few faculty at each school that is doing interesting research in labour economics.

Right now it's a tie between UofT, Queens and McMaster. There is quite a few faculty at each school that is doing interesting research in labour economics.

I don't know if you'd heard back from anywhere else yet but I got an email from the dept grad chair last night confirming that an offer is on the way. So looks like McMaster is getting around to its second round offers now 

I don't know if you'd heard back from anywhere else yet but I got an email from the dept grad chair last night confirming that an offer is on the way. So looks like McMaster is getting around to its second round offers now 

Congrats. Unfortunately I haven't received any other updates. I've emailed the schools to ask for an update since I need to get back to York.

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted an offer from Concordia. Anyone else heading to Concordia?

Congrats! I am not headed to Concordia, but I am headed to McGill. Are you going to be an international student? 

Nice to see others heading to Montreal. Gruby, I'm from the US and will be an international student as well. Good luck with the move!

Has anyone heard from university of northern British Columbia? In masters of environmental studies? when I spoke to graduate department they told me I should get a reply mid to late April, but I don't have that much time, I need to accept at another school by the 16 th!

Okay i'm starting to panic, I rejected two schools Acadia University and Lakehead University on the premise that one would provide me a lesser degree while the other is in Thunder Bay, the most desolate and depressing city I could imagine.  I still have Wilfrid Laurier University but I hate the school with a passion.  The university, as my friend put it, is in the business of everything except education.  The kids that go there are spoiled, and frankly I need to get out of Ontario!  I have one more university, University of Northern British Columbia which is taking its sweet time to get back to me.  I'm pretty sure I didn't get in, and if i did there is no way the funding would compare with WLU.  

Okay i'm starting to panic, I rejected two schools Acadia University and Lakehead University on the premise that one would provide me a lesser degree while the other is in Thunder Bay, the most desolate and depressing city I could imagine.  I still have Wilfrid Laurier University but I hate the school with a passion.  The university, as my friend put it, is in the business of everything except education.  The kids that go there are spoiled, and frankly I need to get out of Ontario!  I have one more university, University of Northern British Columbia which is taking its sweet time to get back to me.  I'm pretty sure I didn't get in, and if i did there is no way the funding would compare with WLU.  

May I ask you why you applied to the first 2 places? Just curious... 

If I only got into those safety schools I would end up going to either one of them, and I would probably be ecstatic about it. Since I got accepted to three, and one pending, I got picky.  Anyway it's all pointless now, I had to accept WLU.  

Congrats! I am not headed to Concordia, but I am headed to McGill. Are you going to be an international student? 

Nice to see others heading to Montreal. Gruby, I'm from the US and will be an international student as well. Good luck with the move!

Yup. I'm an international student too. Want to join forces flat-hunting? When are you guys moving?

Yup. I'm an international student too. Want to join forces flat-hunting? When are you guys moving?

I want to spend the summer in Montreal, so I'm planning to move in May. I'm just waiting for my CAQ...I'll get my study permit at the border. I spent some time up there last month checking out different neighborhoods, so I have an idea of where I want to live. I'm debating whether to head back next week to find a place before I move for good, or just head up in May and stay at a hotel until I find a permanent place.

When are you planning to move?

If I only got into those safety schools I would end up going to either one of them, and I would probably be ecstatic about it. Since I got accepted to three, and one pending, I got picky.  Anyway it's all pointless now, I had to accept WLU.  

If you ended up getting into 3 schools (possibly a forth) maybe you're not giving yourself enough credit regarding the strength of your application. GPA isn't the only factor that's considered, which I'm sure you are already well aware of. Would you consider deferring for a year and applying to slightly better programs next year that you would be more excited about attending?

Ha ha, ya I'm usually hard on myself.  That is an interesting idea, and something maybe I would have considered years ago, but i'm a mature student and I just want to get on with my life.  The older I get the less enthusiastic I am about the things which brought me to university in the first place.  Even though I believe in my research idea, pursuing a Masters degree is more of a job prospect than adding to the pool of knowledge. For the past 10 months I have only managed to score a minimum wage job, which I had to leave because the company's expectations were ridiculously demanding and too stressful for what they were paying.  I am now desperately trying to find work at grocery stores and coffee shops! I can't even score an internship!  ... Ugh this is depressing, you put in so much work and money and can't even expect to get a job!  

I see where you're coming from. It sounds like this opportunity is a lot better than what you were doing before. I hope the job prospects in your field are promising. Best of luck!

Ha ha, ya I'm usually hard on myself.  That is an interesting idea, and something maybe I would have considered years ago, but i'm a mature student and I just want to get on with my life.  The older I get the less enthusiastic I am about the things which brought me to university in the first place.  Even though I believe in my research idea, pursuing a Masters degree is more of a job prospect than adding to the pool of knowledge. For the past 10 months I have only managed to score a minimum wage job, which I had to leave because the company's expectations were ridiculously demanding and too stressful for what they were paying.  I am now desperately trying to find work at grocery stores and coffee shops! I can't even score an internship!  ... Ugh this is depressing, you put in so much work and money and can't even expect to get a job!  

Hi nikki15, i have also applied for masters of statistics (U of T) and not heard back anything yet :(.. i had called up the dept two days back and the lady who picked up told me that they have sent out second round of offers too. my status still shows Under Review and nothing shows up on the ROSI account. has your status changed on the website? i know they made the first round of offers in second/third week of march but not sure when they have sent out the second round

hi sunroza..if u dnt mind me askin, whr hv u accepted the offer? congratulations :) i am still waiting for U of T to respond..

I had another offer which required my decision by late March. I had already asked for an extension on my decision but wasn't able to receive any reply from UT before my extended deadline.

It seems that UT hasn't sent out any rejections so I'm thinking my chances of getting an offer (with funding opportunities better than my other offer) is very low! I don't want to risk not getting into any schools this fall so I made my decision to accept the other offer!

Please don't attend WLU.  They don't need people with your attitude there.