Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

Well, first, you might want to double-check that you are allowed to wait until April 15 here, if you haven't already. The national deadline only applies to schools that have agreed to this resolution.

I'm 100% ready and willing to wait until April 15 to see what happens with the one program at which I'm waitlisted. However, if you can't wait that long, you might want to wait until the programs where you are waitlisted have held campus visits. Accepted students usually have a definite feeling about their potential decision after visiting all of the programs at which they were accepted and will probably begin to finalize those decisions then. This year, it looks like most campus visits will be through by the week of April 1, although there are exceptions. Hope this helps.

Yes - thanks - they are on there though never hurts to double check :)

I will probably wait it out until April 15 --- just getting impatient!

I don't know why I haven't popped by this thread until now.  It's...quite reassuring to see other people going through this brand of crazy.

After weeks of anxiety I finally got up the nerve to  Email my one "official" waitlist spot, and got the anticlimactic Email that they are unranked, and therefore there's no information.  But I want it so bad...so just trying not to have a nervous breakdown.

And I don't know about others, but Purdue's "you're waitlisted until we decide to say anything to you one way or the other" is driving me crazy. I've missed acceptance-floods, but also rejection-floods too.  The delay doesn't make me feel that hopeful--they didn't reject me until April 19 one of the last times I applied there, but I guess the lingering spark of "maybe" could be worse.

This truly is the special hell.

Thanks!   I wonder if SMU, being a really new program, gets to be cutting edge.  It certainly seems so in terms of funding -- you're even provided a laptop, right?.  I'm curious what your overall impressions of the program were.
I definitely think that with SMU being so young, that they are using it as an opportunity to be cutting edge. They also seem to have more money than god to throw at building the program, too. But, besides the tech and the travel funding, they're doing a lot structurally. For teaching prep, they actually do observations and feedback, just like you would do in a secondary school setting. Frankly, that should be done at all levels. How often in college have you had a brilliant prof that was an awful instructor? Being brilliant and a an authority doesn't mean you can communicate effectively (soapbox). I just saw that we have the opportunity to stay on for one year as a visiting professor/adjunct our seventh year (or after we've defended our dissertation)--not does that give us usable experience for our job search, it gives us an environment that we can conduct a job search in without worrying about our loan payments. Sure it's a competitive posting, but that's a lot more than other schools offer. I don't know. If I had known at first that they were only 6 years old, I probably wouldn't have applied (I found out at interview weekend), but ultimately, in this specific instance, youth doesn't matter--it's a very student driven program, very focused on building a legacy and reputation. And more money than the law school. ;-)

For any of you in similar situations:

What's the difference between being wait listed and being accepted but wait listed for funding?

I have two schools that wait listed me straight out, and two others that accepted me pretty early on but have since told me that I am on a wait list for funding. The two schools that admitted me do actually keep wait lists for admission, too. I don't understand the difference between wait lists, though.

Katia, I am 99% sure I'll be declining my spot at Rochester. What is your area? Hopefully this helps you out!

I'm primarily Medieval lit, so I don't know if area-wise we fit into the same slot.  But the more open spots, still the better the chance.

Though if it ended up being the best school for you, I'd still send best wishes--everybody should end up at the best place for them. :)

For any of you in similar situations:

What's the difference between being wait listed and being accepted but wait listed for funding?

I have two schools that wait listed me straight out, and two others that accepted me pretty early on but have since told me that I am on a wait list for funding. The two schools that admitted me do actually keep wait lists for admission, too. I don't understand the difference between wait lists, though.

Yeah...to me they're almost the same at the PhD level. I guess the difference would be whether the department has a policy of only accepting students they can fund the full time or not. Or, some sort of false premise that up and coming academics could possibly have the money to pay their way (I have book assets, not liquid ones)   ;)  Interesting to compare with the programs at some of the universities in the UK where you have to show them that you have the ability to pay for the program...and now they've been dragged to the courts.

---------------------------

Anyways, to add to the waitlist announcements, I've been waitlisted for U Oregon. This is the first time I've posted, since now I've felt kind of like a creepy voyeur at everyone's comments. Like others have said, I'm willing to wait for the 15th but its amazing what that lingering uncertainty does. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though, good luck to everyone on their news and decisions!

Edited by lunarsea

Okay, finally. After a bajillion years of lurking, I am here. Is anyone else just super depressed about this whole thing? I had two interviews at Michigan and they sort of made me feel underprepared but capable of presenting an excellent application. I blew it with the languages and could barely get a sentence out. Do they care? How do we know? We don't. U of Illinois has actively worked to talk to me, set me up with graduate students, etc. but are ranked pretty low. However, our research interests are a fit. And Michigan didn't try to recruit me AT ALL. I keep wondering what I'll do if I get in to Michigan and get the three year fellowship I'm up for at Illinois... I ate cookies and ice cream for breakfast yesterday after I called in sick (with anxiety-inducing first-world problems) to work. 

Okay, finally. After a bajillion years of lurking, I am here. Is anyone else just super depressed about this whole thing? I had two interviews at Michigan and they sort of made me feel underprepared but capable of presenting an excellent application. I blew it with the languages and could barely get a sentence out. Do they care? How do we know? We don't. U of Illinois has actively worked to talk to me, set me up with graduate students, etc. but are ranked pretty low. However, our research interests are a fit. And Michigan didn't try to recruit me AT ALL. I keep wondering what I'll do if I get in to Michigan and get the three year fellowship I'm up for at Illinois... I ate cookies and ice cream for breakfast yesterday after I called in sick (with anxiety-inducing first-world problems) to work. 

I am certainly no expert in this process, but you should go with the school that wants you, I think. I know people from a pretty low ranked school here in Oklahoma who have all managed to secure tenure-track jobs before their program is up. It isn't impossible.

Agreed. Rankings are something to be looked at, but if you fit with a school, and they're offering you money, and you like the look of the program, rankings are not even close to a reason to turn them down.  Also, maybe I'm mistaken, but I didn't think UIUC had bad rankings at all.

Yeah, I've been seriously considering turning down Michigan's wait-list this week. Penn State is really actively recruiting me (and it feels so nice to be wanted), while Michigan is very "blah." Also, I've spoken to a few advisers/professors and they all agree that, while Michigan is higher in the rankings, PSU is doing way more cutting-edge stuff, especially in the areas I'm interested in (Theory, posthumanism, cultural studies, science & lit, etc.). So torn, though... I'd just really like to say that I was admitted to more than one place, so it feels more like a decision. :unsure:

Yeah, I've been seriously considering turning down Michigan's wait-list this week. Penn State is really actively recruiting me (and it feels so nice to be wanted), while Michigan is very "blah." Also, I've spoken to a few advisers/professors and they all agree that, while Michigan is higher in the rankings, PSU is doing way more cutting-edge stuff, especially in the areas I'm interested in (Theory, posthumanism, cultural studies, science & lit, etc.). So torn, though... I'd just really like to say that I was admitted to more than one place, so it feels more like a decision. :unsure:

If you can't be with the one you love, honey badger, love the one you're with.

Maybe a more productive question: what do you think ranking signals about your scholarship and your career? What motivates your interest in these rankings?
Basically, talking about rankings is shorthand for saying that they have more resources, better connections, a larger and more diverse faculty, innovative program structure and classes, and a history of placing people well. Yes, we're all awesome and will exceed anywhere. However, we can't pretend all those things (again, for shorthand: rankings) don't matter. Bfat, I say you go with Penn State. You're right, they've got shit going on. Plus, how awesome would that be to turn down Michigan?

I'm not trying to tell anyone to wait it out but let's be clear that you just don't get actively recruited on a wait list (what if they did that and then couldn't offer you a place?) and that it doesn't mean ANYTHING. I would not advise anyone to make a decision based on the warm fuzzies they get via email. Your other reasons are much more valid (I'm not even sure anyone at Michigan is doing science stuff anymore?) but the initial thoughts keep popping up in this thread and I find it really troubling.

Basically, talking about rankings is shorthand for saying that they have more resources, better connections, a larger and more diverse faculty, innovative program structure and classes, and a history of placing people well. Yes, we're all awesome and will exceed anywhere. However, we can't pretend all those things (again, for shorthand: rankings) don't matter. Bfat, I say you go with Penn State. You're right, they've got shit going on. Plus, how awesome would that be to turn down Michigan?

Not to open a can of worms, but I don't think that any rankings accurately reflect those factors. At all. If you're just using "ranking" as a placeholder for all of those things, than yeah, those are important. But I would probably just discuss them directly rather than through reference to rankings.

You're both right. I'm just trying to find a way to justify either decision I make in the totally hypothetical scenario that I get into two programs that each have their merits. I guess warm fuzzies and rankings aren't really the best determiner. Thanks for the wake up call. 

I'm not trying to tell anyone to wait it out but let's be clear that you just don't get actively recruited on a wait list (what if they did that and then couldn't offer you a place?) and that it doesn't mean ANYTHING. I would not advise anyone to make a decision based on the warm fuzzies they get via email. Your other reasons are much more valid (I'm not even sure anyone at Michigan is doing science stuff anymore?) but the initial thoughts keep popping up in this thread and I find it really troubling.

I wasn't really expecting to be actively recruited from the wait-list, but I did make inquiries about visiting and meeting with people (had even booked a hotel in Ann Arbor), but my meetings were cancelled and I haven't really gotten a sense that my interest in the program matters that much to anyone. Some programs invite their wait-listers to events and open houses, etc., but I've just gotten zip since that initial letter (though that letter did sound very promising). But honestly, it's more about my careful consideration of what the program offers, and in what direction I want to take my PhD studies, rather than their "enthusiasm" or lack of it. I'm not ready to make a decision yet, but I am leaning heavily toward PSU.

I wasn't really expecting to be actively recruited from the wait-list, but I did make inquiries about visiting and meeting with people (had even booked a hotel in Ann Arbor), but my meetings were cancelled and I haven't really gotten a sense that my interest in the program matters that much to anyone. Some programs invite their wait-listers to events and open houses, etc., but I've just gotten zip since that initial letter (though that letter did sound very promising). But honestly, it's more about my careful consideration of what the program offers, and in what direction I want to take my PhD studies, rather than their "enthusiasm" or lack of it. I'm not ready to make a decision yet, but I am leaning heavily toward PSU.

For what it's worth... I applied to Penn State after conversations with many professors/advisors. From those conversations, Penn State sounds like a very highly regarded program. They all seemed to think it is a program on the rise that will only increase in prestige and reputation.

I TOTALLY get what you're saying (and I do apologize for my earlier grumpiness). But it's an idea that gets churned up a LOT here and it never fails to freak me out (mostly because I can't conceive of even factoring that into a decision). Sorry that happened to you though, that sounds like a terrible headache. Again, not trying to talk you (or anyone else!) into Michigan -- I am even willing to help talk you OUT of it -- or even into waiting it out, just you know.

Just got rejected from Berkeley as I was writing this comment. So glad to be officially done. Ish.

Just got accepted to Penn State's MA from the waitlist. If you go to Penn Stare or an MA, do they pretty much expect you to get your PhD there? I know they have a high percentage of MA's continuing, but is this a free will arrangement? Or will I be tied down and force fed my PhD?

Just got accepted to Penn State's MA from the waitlist. If you go to Penn Stare or an MA, do they pretty much expect you to get your PhD there? I know they have a high percentage of MA's continuing, but is this a free will arrangement? Or will I be tied down and force fed my PhD?

I'm pretty sure it's free will. You are guaranteed a PhD spot (assuming all is going well) but you don't NEED to continue on to the PhD there. Congrats!!!