thoughts on not having a cell phone in grad school?

iowaguy

Hi all, trying to figure out how to make my TA/RA stipend stretch as far as possible.  Considering dropping my cell phone/smartphone to save $$$.  Anyone surviving grad school without a cell phone?

I would still be checking email a couple of times/day, and could Skype as necessary for long-distance verbal communication...  Thoughts?

Edited by iowaguy

Have you looked into straight talk? They use the AT&T network and have an unlimited everything plan for $45/mo. Otherwise I would look into a basic talk/text plan. That's cheaper for me than a landline with long distance.

I think it depends on what you're doing. In the ecology graduate department, we use phones to communicate moving tools and samples from site to site, as we're often spread very far apart around campus or our field sites.

If you don't plan on using it for something like that, I think you could get away with it. I would make sure to let your advisor and others you're working with know about your situation so that they make your email the 1st method of contact.

Also, there are a lot of prepaid phone plans, like misskira mentioned. I think Virgin mobile has an iPhone for $35/mo. with limited phone calls, but unlimited messaging and internet. And of course you have to pay for the phone to start.

We use net10 for basic cell phone service, only $25 a month for the 750 anytime minutes, can use for text, pix, call, etc. it us uses Verizon towers for the most part. My husband and I did the switch from smart phones to these, and we save over $100 a month on net 10. Something to consider if you don't necessarily need all of the smart phone capabilities.

I think this is mostly a personal choice. 

What do you use your phone for?

Calling people? Texting? Email?

Can you live without any of these things? Or can you get work done without any of these things?

I could live without a phone...I don't NEED it, but it does make life and work easier!

Do you plan on being completely phone-less? I'm sort of a worst case scenario person and like to have a phone (whether landline or cell) so that I can call 911 in the event of an emergency. If you're dependent on Skype for that, then you're also dependent on power and internet...

I don't know what your program is, so I don't know if this applies to you... but I used to TA a genetics lab and routinely communicated via phone with my supervising professor (she'd call to let me know that I should start the lab lecture since she was running late, or I'd call her if I couldn't find required equipment and she wasn't in her office that day, etc.). It's something to think about. I've also communicated with my committee members via phone. In my experience, many professors are terrible at promptly replying to emails. So, while communicating via email is fine most of the time, when something time-sensitive pops up, email might not cut it. In those cases, I'd just call the professors (or they'd call me).

Outside of that, though, you can probably have a healthy social life without a cell phone. Just let everyone know that email is the best way to reach you.

I also agree with those who said that having a phone is good to have just in case of emergencies. If you just want to be able to make/receive calls and can live without texting, mobile internet, and whatnot, you should be able to find a prepaid plan that won't break the bank.

I don't have a landline and my cell phone is my only phone. It's really inconvenient to sign up for things like utilities etc. when you don't have a phone. Smartphones aren't necessary but really useful, especially when traveling (for conferences etc.)  If you want to save money, you can drop the data plan -- just get talk (and maybe text). You will probably have internet at home and you'll definitely have internet at work so you can always use wifi if you need to connect your phone to the internet for whatever reason (downloading apps?)

At both my grad schools, texting was the most common way of getting in touch with our cohort-mates, and planning get-togethers so you might miss out or feel left out if you aren't able to receive texts. However, if your budget is really tight, then this is obviously not a necessary expense, but just something to think about.

Finally, some schools have corporate discount rates with local phone and internet providers (or even banks). Most companies will accept a graduate TA or RA as proof of employment! 

Like fuzzylogician, I, at one point, used prepaid plan for over a year (not monthly payment, but deposit money into your account and use your minutes when necessary.) Coupling with wifi (at home, at school, at lab, etc.) and many free apps for texting and calling, I used no more than $40 in 12 months.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the above suggestions. Get a pay-as-you-go prepaid type plan and refill when when needed. These only work with talk & text, but essentially that's all you'll need from a phone. I'm sure you'll have wi-fi at school (probably at home) so you won't really need a data plan. You could get away with spending very little money depending on your usage I've done this before and spent <$10/month.

I wouldn't recommend getting rid of a phone service altogether. Being accessible is not a bad thing to be when you're starting out at a new program and making new friends.

I would say you need a phone, but you DO NOT need a smart phone.  Yes, there would be times when it would be nice to look something up, but I've survived just fine without one.  Still, my professor has often called or texted to reschedule appointments, and it's nice being able to coordinate at the last minute with classmates for studies groups.  I am old school enough that I like to have a plan in place ("we'll meet at the coffee shop at 4:00") but for a lot of people, their "plan" is to call when they get out of class and figure things out last minute -- for all of this, you need a way for people to reach you in real time.
  I like the suggestions about pre-pay, which, ironically, are often less than plans if you limit how much you use the phone.  AAA had some good deals worth looking into.

I kind of skimmed the responses... did anyone recommend Google Voice yet?  You should get a Google voice number now, and give that out as your number.  Then, if you have a phone you can link it to google, or if you find out you don't need one, you can still use the google number for voicemail and texting (and calling out like Skype), and then link it to some other phone.  You could even, for instance, set it so that if, say, your parents called, it would ring your roommate's number or something, just for emergency.

I've never had a smart phone and survived fine without it.  Since I spend most of my time on campus as an UG, I canuse free wifi there.  I have an unlimited texting plan on a used phone (actually bought it new in box from Craigslist) and pay $25 on AT&T.  I also deposit some extra funds on my phone in case i need to make/receive a voice call.  I use Skype for long distance calls.  I don't think I would feel safe without a phone, especially for travel emergencies (if the car breaks down I want to stay in my locked car and call for help especially at night) or if I have a medical emergency.  

+1 for a prepaid/pay-as-you-go phone.  That way you can save money, but you can still be reached by your colleagues by phone/text. 

You can also use a Google voice number to get calls and texts in your email.