Status Inquiries

melancholyway

OK, so it is approaching mid March... I have received responses from some schools, but I am still waiting on three, one of which is my top choice. Is is wise to write one email to inquire on status? If so do you write this to the dept or the graduate school? I know that this should be simple, but I am so nervous that I do not want to botch anything. Does anyone have experience writing such emails? I want to let the dept know that I am still very interested. What a nerve wracking process. :(

I emailed the departments of my schools a short email. I wrote something along the lines of:

Dear Grad Admissions Sec,

I have applied to (your university's) (program) back in December. I am wondering when admissions decisions will be made.

Thank you for your time,

Me

Short and sweet, and I got polite responses from all the programs I contacted.

I sent an inquiry to some of my schools and surprisingly, I have not heard back from most of them. I was expecting at least a "we're still in the process of deciding" generic email, but instead have been completely ignored. This is strange to me, especially considering I've heard successes of getting a reply from other people who are emailing the same exact people I'm emailing. What could be the problem? Call me sensitive, but I find the lack of response downright rude and unprofessional.

I sent an inquiry to some of my schools and surprisingly, I have not heard back from most of them. I was expecting at least a "we're still in the process of deciding" generic email, but instead have been completely ignored. This is strange to me, especially considering I've heard successes of getting a reply from other people who are emailing the same exact people I'm emailing. What could be the problem? Call me sensitive, but I find the lack of response downright rude and unprofessional.

if you are talking acolumbia, do not fear- you are not alone. they have been point blank ignoring me for a long time now. it's so much more crueler than just ignoring me.

Yeah. You know what's crazy?? I KNOW that I have been rejected somewhere, but they still won't reply to my emails!!! :x

So I'm gonna call them instead. I've heard that works. :wink:

Maybe they'll answer the phone, or maybe they'll take one look at the caller ID and be frightened away... :lol:

I suppose I'm just too intimidating to receive an answer.

I've thought about e-mailing or calling. In the end I always decide to give them another week. At this point I'm going to be very surprised if it's not all bad news. Somehow it seems less painful to not initiate the pain, even if it seems extremely likely that that pain will come sooner or later. I do think it's a little ridiculous that I haven't heard anything yet from two schools. The applications were due in early January! The fact that they sit on rejection letters really bugs me--those are the letters that should take the least time and effort to prepare.

However, I don't think making an inquiry could in any way negatively influence the outcome.

I called the one school I was really dying to hear from because I figured I'd get an instantaneous answer (or official non-answer), as opposed to waiting for them to have time to take care of email. And I did! Also, calling is a little easier than emailing because it doesn't involve committing yourself to writing, so that's what I recommend.

I wrote a very brief admission status inquiry letter to the graduate recruitment secretary at the beginning of this week, a week after the announced date for contacting applicants. I still didn't receive an answer. As I gather from the results section, they are sending out letters by post/ snail mail. I am an overseas student and I cannot wait until the letter arrives here. On the other hand, I don't want to pester the admission committee or the professor I contacted earlier. Should I e-mail the other secretary (her title is "graduate admissions secretary"), or would that be inappropriate?

I emailed grad directors from two of the programs I am waiting on - one last week and the other yesterday. Haven't heard back from either of them. Probably a bad sign, eh?

I emailed grad directors from two of the programs I am waiting on - one last week and the other yesterday. Haven't heard back from either of them. Probably a bad sign, eh?

Maybe not -- a lot of schools are on spring break this month. They could be on break, or swamped with pre-break or post-break work.

Maybe not -- a lot of schools are on spring break this month. They could be on break, or swamped with pre-break or post-break work.

one is on break this week (the one I emailed last week), the other definitely isn't because they had a faculty meeting an hour after I emailed him.

I've thought about e-mailing or calling. In the end I always decide to give them another week.

This is me. Every Sunday night, I always think, "well, this week, at least I'll know," and it never happens, and I never do anything about it. Mind you, all of my schools are known for dragging out the process until the bitter end, so I'm not sure why I expected things to be different this year.

I recently received notification that I was shortlisted for admission. After requesting clarification, I was told that the shortlist was equivalent to a waiting list, and that things would "work themselves out by mid-April". I then sent one final email requesting my rank/position on the waiting list, but received no response. Both of my emails were short and polite. Is there any reason why I'm being ignored? After reading these forums, most people seem to have positive results from emailing the graduate coordinator.

So, in light of this apparent indifference, should I be preparing for the worst? The waiting list is like limbo - I have no idea what my probability for acceptance is.

I know this isn't relevant here but didn't know where else to post... :?: Does anyone know how to check application status at UIUC? I'm expecting a reject anyway, :evil: but I guess I wanna know. The URL provided when I submitted application just lists all my documents and says RECEIVED. Duh. Pls lemme know...