Fall 2014 applicants??

As far as I know, Yale doesn't usually have more than 5 spots open (was told this by former Yale adcomm person who asked Yale last year). Not sure if that's changed though- it's always hard to predict.

Edited by shortstack51

Also, guess how much work I’ve gotten done today? Haha...none.

We re in the same boat. I only have 4 schools left. Other four are implied rejections. I can't concentrate and hope to get this done quickly to focus on reapply. Do u know how to publicate in American journal which would actually count?

I got my first acceptance tonight -- Southern Illinois -- and I'm just insanely happy to have an offer. I had pretty much given up hope, and even though it's not my top choice, it's still a choice and I'm happy to have it. Don't give up just yet everyone who hasn't heard good news; your offer can still come!

YAY! CONGRATS! Southern Illinois University Press publishes so many great rhet/comp books. :D

We re in the same boat. I only have 4 schools left. Other four are implied rejections. I can't concentrate and hope to get this done quickly to focus on reapply. Do u know how to publicate in American journal which would actually count?

Wendy (I’m assuming),

The journals in which you seek to publish should be directly related to your field of interest (ideally, anyway). If your school library has access, check out the MLA Directory of Periodicals (http://www.mla.org/bib_periodicals) for journals related to the topics you write about. 

You should look for peer-reviewed, scholarly journals of strong repute. 

I hope that helps!

EDITED: Blasted commas always get me.

Edited by Kamisha

Wendy (I’m assuming),

The journals in which you seek to publish should be directly related to your field of interest (ideally, anyway). If your school library has access, check out the MLA Directory of Periodicals (http://www.mla.org/bib_periodicals) for journals related to the topics you write about.

You should look for peer-reviewed, scholarly journals of strong repute.

I hope that helps!

EDITED: Blasted commas always get me.

Hey~ thank you very much! I would def. check! I work now but I think I can still try to go back to my old college to research. My major was comparative literature and world literature. I have published 2 papers , one about Pamuk one on " world literature review", but both in Chinese journals which might not count. I also wrote about Eliot, Nabokov, cross culture studies, German poet Ingeborg Bachmann and Paul Celan( my master thesis), so I would try to polish them and translate them and then try to publish them. Thank you very much! I might reapply. Don't think rejected elsewhere would get me in Harvard or Princeton..... Heartbreak, pretty depressed recently.

As far as I know, Yale doesn't usually have more than 5 spots open (was told this by former Yale adcomm person who asked Yale last year). Not sure if that's changed though- it's always hard to predict.

I want to say that is wrong. Based on last year, it seems unlikely. I mean, I doubt all those accepted were on grad cafe. But perhaps the 5 rule is true? Idk. 

Hey~ thank you very much! I would def. check! I work now but I think I can still try to go back to my old college to research. My major was comparative literature and world literature. I have published 2 papers , one about Pamuk one on " world literature review", but both in Chinese journals which might not count. I also wrote about Eliot, Nabokov, cross culture studies, German poet Ingeborg Bachmann and Paul Celan( my master thesis), so I would try to polish them and translate them and then try to publish them. Thank you very much! I might reapply. Don't think rejected elsewhere would get me in Harvard or Princeton..... Heartbreak, pretty depressed recently.

Don’t let it get you down. Like you said, you still have four schools to hear from. And, if worse comes to worse this year, you’ve got eight wonderful months to revise your packet and resubmit. Based on what you’ve mentioned about your qualifications, I have no doubt you’ll find success somewhere wonderful, whether that be this year or next year :)

Though I still have a chance at five or six schools and am lucky enough to have one acceptance (finally!), I actually am going to reapply in August no matter what. Based on the advice I received from the Directors’ of Graduate study at the universities where I’ve been rejected thus far (they are usually very kind in giving you pointers on your application if you email them after receiving your rejection), I’m going to revise and reapply to a few of the same programs and quite a few different programs that I hadn’t even thought of before.

I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. If you don’t get admitted this year, it is because you are supposed to have this year to do something else and then start your PhD next year.

Try not to let the blues get you down. I’ve fallen victim to it, as well. It helps to keep it all in perspective: one year isn’t going to make a world of difference in the grand scheme of things. Who knows--maybe there will be a change in the market that you benefit from by adding one additional year.

Don’t lose faith in your work. Most especially, though, don’t lose faith in yourself. 

I want to say that is wrong. Based on last year, it seems unlikely. I mean, I doubt all those accepted were on grad cafe. But perhaps the 5 rule is true? Idk.

I suppose I could be wrong, or the details were fuzzy. I'm sure it also changes year to year. I had asked him to check (he was my professor at the time) what my relative chances would be.

I could totally be wrong too. Maybe some of the acceptances were off the waist list or something. I just thought they accepted a bit more (8 to 10), but I could be totally be wrong!! I know some schools accept like 4 people one year and then the next accept 10. It all depends. I think they want to drive us crazy. I'm pretty sure. 

I could totally be wrong too. Maybe some of the acceptances were off the waist list or something. I just thought they accepted a bit more (8 to 10), but I could be totally be wrong!! I know some schools accept like 4 people one year and then the next accept 10. It all depends. I think they want to drive us crazy. I'm pretty sure. 

Even if they only have 5 spots open, they should still accept more than 5 students to fill those places. That said, one of my fellow master's students here at Cambridge was accepted to Yale last year and deferred his admission for a year so he could attend this program, so however many spots there were for admission may potentially be reduced by one. Or deferred admits may not count against this cycle--difficult to say.

Even if they only have 5 spots open, they should still accept more than 5 students to fill those places. That said, one of my fellow master's students here at Cambridge was accepted to Yale last year and deferred his admission for a year so he could attend this program, so however many spots there were for admission may potentially be reduced by one. Or deferred admits may not count against this cycle--difficult to say.

To riff off (on?) that tangent, if you don't mind, do you know if your fellow student had/was able to come up with other reasons for deferring aside from wanting to study at Cambridge for a year (I assume it's the 1-year MPhil)?

I'm in a similar situation where I'd like to take a year to do an MPhil at Cambridge but am not sure if that constitutes a valid enough reason to ask one of my PhD admits for a deferral...

Edited by davidipse

To riff off (on?) that tangent, if you don't mind, do you know if your fellow student had/was able to come up with other reasons for deferring aside from wanting to study at Cambridge for a year (I assume it's the 1-year MPhil)?

I'm in a similar situation where I'd like to take a year to do an MPhil at Cambridge but am not sure if that constitutes a valid enough reason to ask one of my PhD admits for a deferral...

You are correct--it's the 1-year M.Phil. He told me that, effectively, all he had to tell Yale was that he had an offer to do the M.Phil. here, and he was hoping to defer his acceptance for a year to complete the program. And Yale told him, "Go ahead, go to Cambridge, we'll have a place for you when you get back."

I can't speak to whether other departments are as forgiving, but he had a very good experience with Yale English.

Does anyone know of any really good/influential academic blogs?

Kamisha: I have two recs. Inside Higher Ed (.com) has a great daily digest of academic and university life news.

And, if you're into that sort of thing, In the Medieval Middle (.com). This one is the main blog for the Babel Working Group, a mostly medieval studies group though they also indulge in cultural studies, ecocriticism, and various other fields. The big stars here are Eileen Joy and Jeffrey Jerome Cohen. It's without a doubt my favorite blog.

(edited for typos.)

Edited by MedievalMadness

Kamisha: I have two recs. Inside Higher Ed (.com) has a great daily digest of academic and university life news.

And, if you're into that sort of thing, In the Medieval Middle (.com). This one is the main blog for the Babel Working Group, a mostly medieval studies group though they also indulge in cultural studies, ecocriticism, and various other fields. The big stars here are Eileen Joy and Jeffrey Jerome Cohen. It's without a doubt my favorite blog.

(edited for typos.)

To add mine to the list, for a more pragmatic take on the challenges of academe, check out Dr. Karen's blog: http://theprofessorisin.com/pearlsofwisdom/

She is a former tenured professor who left the university to do private consulting for grad students, grads on the job market, and professors working toward tenure. In addition, she writes this blog, and it's both brilliant and practical.

To add mine to the list, for a more pragmatic take on the challenges of academe, check out Dr. Karen's blog: http://theprofessorisin.com/pearlsofwisdom/

She is a former tenured professor who left the university to do private consulting for grad students, grads on the job market, and professors working toward tenure. In addition, she writes this blog, and it's both brilliant and practical.

Ah! Dr. Karen's blog was referenced in an article this morning: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/02/18/u-texas-grad-students-push-bill-rights-secure-better-support

I’m trying to up vote your post, but I just ran out of positives! Thanks for this!