Fall 2014 applicants??

Am I crazy? I still have 10 schools to hear back from, but I have essentially decided that I’m going to reapply next year no matter what. Is that insane?

If you get in somewhere this year and it's a good fit, I would go. If you're just saying you lack confidence, I totally feel that. I'm lacking in that department too lately, so most days I feel like I'll have to weigh my options and maybe eventually reapply... Just don't get too far ahead of yourself.

Even if you get accepted? But why?

If you get in somewhere this year and it's a good fit, I would go. If you're just saying you lack confidence, I totally feel that. I'm lacking in that department too lately, so most days I feel like I'll have to weigh my options and maybe eventually reapply... Just don't get too far ahead of yourself.

There’s just so much I wish I had done differently on my applications. I’m not sure I’m going to be happy this year where I’ve been admitted (or could potentially be admitted). We’ll see! 

There’s just so much I wish I had done differently on my applications. I’m not sure I’m going to be happy this year where I’ve been admitted (or could potentially be admitted). We’ll see!

Where did you get admitted?!

Am I crazy? I still have 10 schools to hear back from, but I have essentially decided that I’m going to reapply next year no matter what. Is that insane? 

Not insane but maybe a bit premature? A PhD is a long-term commitment, if you are having serious doubts about the programs you applied to this go-round I can see why you'd want to reapply. 

I would wait till April. I know that I have been rejected from Stanford for sure and I know that NYU and Yale might don't want me either. But I still have hope on Cornell which don't require GRE from international students. My verbal is only 147 and I guess if schools like Stanford use that to make the cut, I would be out. I also know that Syracuse and Harvard both don't care about GRE too much so I am still waiting. But yes, there are a lot of things I would like to improve. One of my very strong professor from UCLA had an operation this year and could not write me an R letter. This is key for international students because I assume committee turn to believe well known professors more. I only had Chinese professors and some of them did not know me very well. The one who knows me very well did not have a big title... So as u see, lots of things are able to change, but I would recommend u still waiting patiently to the results:). I emailed Stanford and asked how I could improve and I decide to use this period of time to read more papers and translate my master thesis into English. It is the best thesis I have ever written but it is in Chinese. I recommend u do the same thing, that's no waste of time, and revising your thesis might get u published and get more competitive next year if you really want to reapply. I wish us good luck!!!! Edited by WendyWonderland

Hi,

Just popping in here to make a request ... I've been waitlisted to one of my top options (Davis) and wanted to ask that if anyone has been accepted to a school and doesn't want to attend said school, please let the department know ASAP...  I'm sure I'm not the only one who's eager to get in off a waitlist! 

My verbal is only 147 and I guess if schools like Stanford use that to make the cut, I would be out. I also know that Syracuse and Harvard both don't care about GRE too much so I am still waiting. 

Wendy, I'm confused as to why you think that Harvard doesn't care about GRE scores. They state on their webpage that you should have scores around 166 for verbal... not trying to burst your bubble or anything, I'm just curious how you're reading their webpage...

Wendy, I'm confused as to why you think that Harvard doesn't care about GRE scores. They state on their webpage that you should have scores around 166 for verbal... not trying to burst your bubble or anything, I'm just curious how you're reading their webpage...

Well, I guess u are an English applicant, I am a literature one and I assume we don't apply for the same program. The dean said the higher the better of the verbal, but no line. Also other ppl told me WS is much more important than GRE, especially for somebody whose mother-tongue is not English. They require four language skills so I had to learn a forth language and study math, I did not have time to prepare for verbal. But I assume that my score is too low, that's why if I reapply my first thing would be retake GRE.

Do you dislike the places you still have left to hear from?

If you reapply, simply because you think you could put together a better application, then yes, you might be a little nuts. :)

If you get in somewhere and you *really* hate it, there's nothing wrong with reapplying, but just don't assume you won't like it because it wasn't a top choice.  Plenty of people on here have had their minds changed by an amazing visit weekend, or communication with the faculty.

And to be honest, with the way apps go, totally revamping your application doesn't guarantee any better results.  Not to say it couldn't happen, but you could re-do everything, and still not get into the places that you want most.

Just saying...unless you think you'd be miserable wherever you land, it is an *acceptance*.  In a less formal wording...take that and run like hell. :).  Your application just gets you in--what you do once it gets you there is a totally separate bag.

Well, I guess u are an English applicant, I am a literature one and I assume we don't apply for the same program. The dean said the higher the better of the verbal, but no line. Also other ppl told me WS is much more important than GRE, especially for somebody whose mother-tongue is not English. They require four language skills so I had to learn a forth language and study math, I did not have time to prepare for verbal. But I assume that my score is too low, that's why if I reapply my first thing would be retake GRE.

Okay, didn't know you applied to the literature one. I didn't apply to Harvard at all, but I'm assuming that every part of your application has to be stellar because it's Harvard. I was just curious how you came to your conclusions. Thanks for sharing. 

How long would you expect to get a yes or no from an MA program with a Jan 15 deadline? March?

Totally depends. Some schools have what are essentially rolling admissions, and send out notices gradually over the course of months, as they don't want to have a waitlist that they fear will stigmatize people who were on it. You could email the DGS or graduate assistant and see if there's an expected date, but you may just have to wait and see.

Yes, but completely understandable. I felt the same way last year; application season really messes with your head. If you didn't see yourself at any of the schools you haven't yet heard from, why did you apply them? Every Katia said is on the money. Sit tight. There's every chance you'll get an offer from a program (or programs), visit, and fall in love. 

Okay, didn't know you applied to the literature one. I didn't apply to Harvard at all, but I'm assuming that every part of your application has to be stellar because it's Harvard. I was just curious how you came to your conclusions. Thanks for sharing. 

I'm assuming Wendy is applying to the Comparative Literature program at Harvard, which requires four languages and doesn't set a minimum for the GRE, unlike the English program, which asks for around 166 Verbal at least. 

I'm assuming Wendy is applying to the Comparative Literature program at Harvard, which requires four languages and doesn't set a minimum for the GRE, unlike the English program, which asks for around 166 Verbal at least.

I don't know what is more difficult, verbal 166..... It's nearly impossible for me... But I assume I can reapply next year. Yes, I did apply to Harvard, almost everyone in my department who wants a phd does. BUT they don't suck in verbals.....as to be honest I really don't know if I should keep doing my job, it just take my whole Monday to Friday and sometimes weekends, and it's in German, so not much time for English. I really suck in math. I spent all of my time studying the Q part, which apparently is not important .... If I knew that earlier. Well, that's fate, I would be greatly beyond happy if I would accepted anywhere.

No problem~ I don't believe I would get in. I would frame my rejection letter haha.

Did anyone else apply for Erasmus Mundus Masters in Cultural Narratives ?? I got an acceptance this morning (ohh, the satisfaction of an email!). But with No Funding! What a dastardly pickle.

Edited by pdh12

Wendy,

Don't feel too bad.  I am a native English speaker, and the highest I've ever scored on GRE Verbal (even just on practice tests with no pressure) is a 162.  I'm not aiming for Harvard or even the notably "high-ranked" schools (although I "reached" for a few in applications), but I wish my score were higher because I imagine all programs, even ones that don't expect a really high score, would like to see a highish score.  My verbal is more in line with a solid Master's student than a Ph.D. student, but I'm thinking I might still get in based on other things.  

Good luck this week, everyone.  This is it.  I feel like from here 'til March 15th is when things really start to heat up.  Our futures hang in the balance.  Either our dreams come true or we are destroyed forever.  

(melodramatic)

But seriously, "not knowing" is killing me.  I absolutely cannot deal with the unknown.  I am doing all of those things that people do to rid themselves of uncertainty, a la "If I make this basket (balled up piece of paper), I'm getting in to one of my top choices..."

And doing the two out of three, four of five thing.  

I do this for everything that I'm dying to know the answer to but have to wait for the future to arrive to get that answer.  It doesn't work AT ALL (as in, accurately predict), but that doesn't stop me from doing it.  

Edited by purpleperson

FYI to any Catholic U applicants:

I contacted them by email last Friday to ask about the Cardinal Station login info. I got a reply email this morning that said my application is complete and currently under review.

I was then given a student ID and a phone number for their tech support. They provided me with a login and I checked status. Sure enough... applications are under review.

My guess is that we'll start to hear back in the next couple weeks.

Wendy,

Don't feel too bad. I am a native English speaker, and the highest I've ever scored on GRE Verbal (even just on practice tests with no pressure) is a 162. I'm not aiming for Harvard or even the notably "high-ranked" schools (although I "reached" for a few in applications), but I wish my score were higher because I imagine all programs, even ones that don't expect a really high score, would like to see a highish score. My verbal is more in line with a solid Master's student than a Ph.D. student, but I'm thinking I might still get in based on other things.

Good luck this week, everyone. This is it. I feel like from here 'til March 15th is when things really start to heat up. Our futures hang in the balance. Either our dreams come true or we are destroyed forever.

(melodramatic)

But seriously, "not knowing" is killing me. I absolutely cannot deal with the unknown. I am doing all of those things that people do to rid themselves of uncertainty, a la "If I make this basket (balled up piece of paper), I'm getting in to one of my top choices..."

And doing the two out of three, four of five thing.

I do this for everything that I'm dying to know the answer to but have to wait for the future to arrive to get that answer. It doesn't work AT ALL (as in, accurately predict), but that doesn't stop me from doing it.

Hey purple, thank you very much for your comfort!

I have to say I know so many ppl, some of them science students who have a very high verbal but have problems in even talking to foreigners. That's sad. I learn Language in another way but it is not helpful for exams. I don't particularly like the GRE, but I understand it is a key point to compare applicants. Just have to work harder. No excuse. Thank you very much for sharing. I have done alt of research recently and I think schools use GRE for the cut. So if it is a decent score, even not super high, it is enough. After the cut, they might be focus on SOP and WS, which is apparently much more important.

Good luck all who are still awaiting. I did not get any formal rejections yet. Let them come to me so I can restart.