Fall 2014 applicants??

I teach 2:2 in my MA program, but nearly all the doctoral programs I applied to are only 1:1....

That's interesting. I teach a 1:1 in my MA. I guess I didn't really look at what the regular teaching loads were at the universities I applied to. Huh.

I teach 2:2 in my MA program. Some people in the program have had a hard time with the load, but it hasn't been especially difficult for me. I think that mostly has to do with the fact that the year before I started the program, I was teach approximately 80 middle schoolers on a daily basis. Comparatively, 50 college freshmen is a cakewalk. 

I wouldn't mind having less papers to grade though :P

Oh no, I totally agree that you should go where the best offer is and where you'd be happiest, I was just commenting on teaching load in general. 

I haven't received the official paperwork for my first acceptance (nor the phone call I was supposedly going to get this week as it was communicated to me via email), but it looks like, historically, the institution that accepted me usually does a 2-1 yearly load. My assistantship is between 15-20k with full medical, dental, and vision. It's also in a very inexpensive area. I'm excited about it because it is an acceptance and there are two scholars I would be happy to work with at the university, plus their tenure placement looks good--about nine people in the last three years are tenure track, the rest have visiting professor gigs--but I'm feeling a little blah about it as I have nine schools left to go. It's a weird feeling, being accepted somewhere and then getting greedy and thinking about all the "better" programs you applied to. I wonder if I'm alone in this? 

Oh no, I totally agree that you should go where the best offer is and where you'd be happiest, I was just commenting on teaching load in general. 

I haven't received the official paperwork for my first acceptance (nor the phone call I was supposedly going to get this week as it was communicated to me via email), but it looks like, historically, the institution that accepted me usually does a 2-1 yearly load. My assistantship is between 15-20k with full medical, dental, and vision. It's also in a very inexpensive area. I'm excited about it because it is an acceptance and there are two scholars I would be happy to work with at the university, plus their tenure placement looks good--about nine people in the last three years are tenure track, the rest have visiting professor gigs--but I'm feeling a little blah about it as I have nine schools left to go. It's a weird feeling, being accepted somewhere and then getting greedy and thinking about all the "better" programs you applied to. I wonder if I'm alone in this? 

Ur not. I'm lucky. I didnt have to feel the angst that others are here. My first notification was an acceptance from my top choice and early as hell. So now I secretly have this attitude where if ppl dont want me I'm like screw u screw u screw u lol. And for the remaining schools I havent heard from....yea....I want more!! :P

Edited by Fiz

I'm feeling a little blah about it as I have nine schools left to go. It's a weird feeling, being accepted somewhere and then getting greedy and thinking about all the "better" programs you applied to. I wonder if I'm alone in this? 

Same. I love the program where I've been accepted, and it's a great offer, but it's at the bottom of my list of schools in terms of rank (for whatever that's worth.) Still a good program, but with so many amazing ones left in the running.... feeling lots of ambivalence at the moment. 

Double congrats to you!! Maybe I'll see you at Cornell! :D

I think my quote is broken...stupid school computers. This was to the Brown/Cornell double accepts. I was hoping to be one but I think Brown is giving me a no since I haven't heard yet. Still, effing THRILLED about Cornell and can't wait to hear everyone else's good news!! :)

Edited by Nyctophile

Same. I love the program where I've been accepted, and it's a great offer, but it's at the bottom of my list of schools in terms of rank (for whatever that's worth.) Still a good program, but with so many amazing ones left in the running.... feeling lots of ambivalence at the moment. 

This is exactly how I feel right now. It's hard to remember that even schools at the bottom of are list aren't bad schools...just not our favorites. Still a bleh feeling though, hard to shake. 

There's definite post-decision blahs, too, which I've written about before. Even when you're sure that you've made the perfect choice for you, you get this come down feeling after all the manic work and panic of the actually application process. Plus, once you know where you're going, your future is decided, and even the perfect someplace can't compare to the possibility of anyplace. 

Double congrats to you!! Maybe I'll see you at Cornell! :D

I think my quote is broken...stupid school computers. This was to the Brown/Cornell double accepts. I was hoping to be one but I think Brown is giving me a no since I haven't heard yet. Still, effing THRILLED about Cornell and can't wait to hear everyone else's good news!! :)

Thanks, and congrats to you too! Maybe see you in Ithaca...

I feel like I need an enemy.

Lots of pent up... well it isn't anger or frustration. I dunno. I just feel like I need an enemy.

Volunteers?

I have a lot of pent up [insert emotion here] so sure! Pick me!

I have a lot of pent up [insert emotion here] so sure! Pick me!

In the blue corner, straightening his bow tie- BowTiesAreCool! "Hello there"

Hailing from the planet Gailifry, BowTies is the last of the time lords. He wields a keen wit, a child-like curiosity, and an upgraded sonic-screwdriver. 

"And a banana"

I'm gonna sonic-y wonik-y your lights out! 

In the blue corner, straightening his bow tie- BowTiesAreCool! "Hello there"

Hailing from the planet Gailifry, BowTies is the last of the time lords. He wields a keen wit, a child-like curiosity, and an upgraded sonic-screwdriver.

"And a banana"

I'm gonna sonic-y wonik-y your lights out!

Hahaha oh god that was beautiful. I can't even fight against that. I will! But it was so beautiful, I shouldn't.

Still "IN PROGRESS" for Cornell. Aaaaaagh what's going on?!

Mine is still "in progress" too. Judging from years past, they notify acceptances a few days before rejections, so I have been assuming that no news is bad news, after today. I hope not though- for both of our sakes!

Edited by jaymarais

all writing is creative work.

all creation is poetry.

So I guess we're all poets - I could never make anything more than an amateur attempt at it. But amateurism is love. So I'm okay with that.

Well said.

Weeeee first acceptance (I thought it would never come!!!). Carnegie Mellon's MA in Literary and Cultural Studies. I've been sort of in love with the idea of this program, but if anyone has any specific info/advice about it, I'd love to hear from you. 

Eff. You heard back from CM already? Their app deadline was just 2 weeks ago for Rhetoric AND Cultural Studies. (I applied for their MA Rhetoric.) Aw shit. Here go the stress and tears.

Edited by gk210

I'm not sure if you mean me ;) but if you do, I usually fall on the side of don't bother the DGS, it won't make things go faster--except when people actually do, as with calling Chicago, and find out good info. It's hypocritical, I know ;) So, as for your question goes, ich finds auch unmöglich, but well...

Haha, I actually mean Horb, according to NYU~

But good to know that u re also German~ lived in Germany for five years and def. interested in German literature. No peep from NYU Syracuse or Cornell..... Still awfully waiting!!!!

Congrats on all the Cornell/ Brown acceptances! U guys are awesome! If not, well, then welcome to my boat, I am still waiting it out, ( comp. lit.) and yesterday I felt that I am going crazy so I emailed Stanford and Harvard. S did not reply, my friend at Harvard told me that there are still no news. Also saw Yale rejection and I pray to let me know faster, gonna die here...

Edited by WendyWonderland

Mine is still "in progress" too. Judging from years past, they notify acceptances a few days before rejections, so I have been assuming that no news is bad news, after today. I hope not though- for both of our sakes!

It seemed like there were also one or two rejections on the results page plus a waitlister. . .