Fall 2014 applicants??

Me too, me too. Villanova has a funded MA you might wanna take a look at. So does Cal State Fullerton.. Both deadlines are March 1. Hopefully that's not what it comes to for either of us, but it's good to have options. Also good to have someone in the same boat, regardless of shittiness.

Thanks for the info, but I'm actually finishing my MA this semester! My alternatives are more like contacting my undergrad about adjuncting (which they have offered me a job for already), exploring community colleges, or teaching at a private high school.

Thanks for the info, but I'm actually finishing my MA this semester! My alternatives are more like contacting my undergrad about adjuncting (which they have offered me a job for already), exploring community colleges, or teaching at a private high school.

Ah, excuse me for my unfounded assumptions then! Sounds like you have viable backups :) how many are you waiting to hear back from?

7, how about you? 3 of those are super reach schools for me so I'm nervous.

Too many, I can't remember. Heard back from 4 officially and counting out a few others as implied. I feel I only have a decent-ish shot at about four schools left on my list, so I'm nervous too. I have faith in you though, shortstacks! Maybe if this round isn't for us, we can keep in contact and help each other improve our applications for the next time out.

Hey guys,

I have some news for UChicago hopefuls. I just called their English Grad Admissions staff (and there are some very lovely, very polite folks over there, by the way).

Having seen the four admits posted on our forums, I asked them if they had contacted all admits. They informed me that not all decisions have been made, and that they're contacting admits and rejections as decisions are made. More specifically, they told me that they're evaluating "groups" of applications and sending out decisions when they finish a group.

TL;DR?

If you haven't heard from Chicago yet, don't give up hope!  :)

You just absolutely made my day, or at least gave me some hope ;)

But now I'm wondering, did they by any chance tell you what kind of group they've finished? :rolleyes: I'm assuming they're not evaluating Medivalists along with Postmodern American lit for example.

For the Brown acceptances:

Congratulations! I've lived in Rhode Island my whole life so if any of you have any questions or want to know anything about Providence or the state in general, feel free to ask:) It can be hard to find natives when your state is this small.

Can any of you Brown admits give us any info? Are all the acceptances out? Do they waitlist?

I'm sure you're all a little busy bathing in champagne right now, so take your time.

Congrats x a million.

Can any of you Brown admits give us any info? Are all the acceptances out? Do they waitlist?

I'm sure you're all a little busy bathing in champagne right now, so take your time.

Congrats x a million.

It was a standard email saying to check the website, then a template letter from the Dean. Nothing from the English faculty yet, so no insider clues I'm afraid

Question for you guys, since my post in applicants forum didn't get many opinions:

One of my hopeful schools' graduate coordinator e-mailed me personally yesterday and told me my statement of purpose was missing (I know, so fail) and asked if I was still going to submit it.  I don't know how I missed that, but I immediately uploaded it and thanked him.  The application deadline has long since passed.

Is this a good sign?  I know it wasn't an automated e-mail.  What do you guys think?

I guess I got excited thinking perhaps they liked the rest of my application enough to reach out to me for an opportunity to submit my statement of purpose.  I didn't think such generosity happened very often in graduate school admissions :(

Question for you guys, since my post in applicants forum didn't get many opinions:

One of my hopeful schools' graduate coordinator e-mailed me personally yesterday and told me my statement of purpose was missing (I know, so fail) and asked if I was still going to submit it.  I don't know how I missed that, but I immediately uploaded it and thanked him.  The application deadline has long since passed.

Is this a good sign?  I know it wasn't an automated e-mail.  What do you guys think?

I guess I got excited thinking perhaps they liked the rest of my application enough to reach out to me for an opportunity to submit my statement of purpose.  I didn't think such generosity happened very often in graduate school admissions :(

I wouldn't think anything of it.

I've had several schools contact me past the deadline for missing stuff and I promise: I am far from interesting.

You just absolutely made my day, or at least gave me some hope ;)

But now I'm wondering, did they by any chance tell you what kind of group they've finished? :rolleyes: I'm assuming they're not evaluating Medivalists along with Postmodern American lit for example.

Glad to hear it!  :)

No, they didn't say what sort of group they'd finished--it could just as easily be alphabetical, by subject area, or completely random. But in a way, not having that information actually makes me less nervous, somehow...anyway, good luck to you!

It sounds like a good sign. Also, please accept my apology for the dickish comment I made the other day. The tone came out wrong. Best of luck!

Thank you!  Apology totally accepted :D  We all say and do things that come out wrong, especially on the internet.

Glad to hear it!  :)

No, they didn't say what sort of group they'd finished--it could just as easily be alphabetical, by subject area, or completely random. But in a way, not having that information actually makes me less nervous, somehow...anyway, good luck to you!

You too!

And thanks for putting yourself out there and calling them :)

Edited by Megeen

Too many, I can't remember. Heard back from 4 officially and counting out a few others as implied. I feel I only have a decent-ish shot at about four schools left on my list, so I'm nervous too. I have faith in you though, shortstacks! Maybe if this round isn't for us, we can keep in contact and help each other improve our applications for the next time out.

Yes definitely! That would be a big help for me. I'm hoping that my current school will at least take me, but it's top 50 so it's not necessarily a guarantee. I also feel I only have 4 schools left that I have a decent shot at, and 2 (including my current program) don't send out responses until mid-March. Yikes.