Fall 2014 applicants??

I really doubt fiscal security is a criterion when building a class. Departments build classes and select students for their intellectual capabilities.

Thank God somebody said it. After reading the comment below...

I wouldn't have any debt if my parents paid for MAPH at Chicago; I want readers to understand that. [...] I'm fortunate enough to have parents who can foot the bill.

...I found myself thinking, "Oh yes, I think the readers understand perfectly."

I'm inclined to disagree with you. 

First - I can't imagine "my parents are paying my bills" is the kind of privilege that most humanities professors want to surround themselves with. This isn't an insult - I'm just looking at my profs and I'm keeping my finger on the pulse of the blogs at The Chronicle. 

Secondly - I really doubt fiscal security is a criterion when building a class. Departments build classes and select students for their intellectual capabilities.

Second-and-a-haf-ly - HOLY SMOKES! Win/Win? is this to suggest that the standards for people who can pay their own bill are somehow magically lower? You recognize this right? and you're okay with it? 

All I did was say I can afford to attend without funding, because I can.  Should I have not answered it at all?  It was a specific question on the application.  My parents don't pay my bills for me, but they would pay for more schooling.  I didn't go into any detail.

All I did was say I can afford to attend without funding, because I can.  Should I have not answered it at all?  It was a specific question on the application.  My parents don't pay my bills for me, but they would pay for more schooling.  I didn't go into any detail.

Correction: All you said was that you could afford to go without funding AND you believed it would be a "win/win". 

I'm not really concerned with what you put on your application. I'm concerned with what you've written here and the built in assumptions you're making.

Why are people so harsh on this forum?  I truly, sincerely never meant to come off elitist or anything like that at all.  I really didn't.  I just answered a question someone asked with what I did on my application.  Don't attack me for it.  My application is not better than any other applicant's due to my personal source of funding. But if I get accepted, it's win for the program that I can pay for it, and it's win for me that I'm in.  I just don't see how this is so ridiculous?

Edited by skgarcia

Just a thought.. maybe we should be more concerned with all the people who come on Gradcafe and talk about the prestige of their undergraduate school, or its lack of prestige, or how the ranking of a school doesn't matter.. except it really does matter.. and those of us who didn't know any of this before leaving undergrad were sort of at a disadvantage. 

I realize the above isn't written very clearly, but I think it's important to remember that we are all just following our dreams and doing what we can to reach them, hopefully without hurting people. Just because someone's parents can pay for an M.A. doesn't mean that the standards are NECESSARILY lower, and I'm not sure I see how it's all that different from someone getting into a certain undergraduate institution (that will adequately prepare them for grad school) by virtue of who their parents were, or where they live, or whatever. 

Why are people so harsh on this forum?  I truly, sincerely never meant to come off elitist or anything like that at all.  I really didn't.  I just answered a question someone asked with what I did on my application.  Don't attack me for it.  My application is not better than any other applicant's due to my personal source of funding. But if I get accepted, it's win for the program that I can pay for it, and it's win for me that I'm in.  I just don't see how this is so ridiculous?

Woah! 

I'm not attacking you. I'm not "harsh".  I sincerely believe that you didn't intend to come off as elitist. 

Your opinions, your intellect, your research are in no way inferior or less valid. 

SK, look back on your bit about houses. 50-60k times four, and it doesn't buy you much of a house. Homes a block from my childhood home go for between 11-24k- perhaps they're not "much of a home" but they're the dreams and hopes of the young families buying them - they mean the world to those folks. 

Privilege, finances, etc. They're touchy subjects. I'm not jealous of you. and I don't expect you to be jealous of me. We've both lived different paths in life.

I'm happy with mine. I hope you're happy with yours. 

Just a thought.. maybe we should be more concerned with all the people who come on Gradcafe and talk about the prestige of their undergraduate school, or its lack of prestige, or how the ranking of a school doesn't matter.. except it really does matter.. and those of us who didn't know any of this before leaving undergrad were sort of at a disadvantage. 

I realize the above isn't written very clearly, but I think it's important to remember that we are all just following our dreams and doing what we can to reach them, hopefully without hurting people. Just because someone's parents can pay for an M.A. doesn't mean that the standards are NECESSARILY lower, and I'm not sure I see how it's all that different from someone getting into a certain undergraduate institution (that will adequately prepare them for grad school) by virtue of who their parents were, or where they live, or whatever. 

Thank you.  There are so many ways to disagree with me without being so angry about it.  I never meant to put anyone down.

Who could be angry with you? We're thrilled that your parents have decided to make your tuition money available in a competitive scholarship right here on Grad Cafe!

I hear the adcomm includes those aunts you still haven't mailed thank-you notes to...

Better start polishing that SOP!

Who could be angry with you? We're thrilled that your parents have decided to make your tuition money available in a competitive scholarship right here on Grad Cafe!

I hear the adcomm includes those aunts you still haven't mailed thank-you notes to...

Better start polishing that SOP!

...seriously?

I've decided that a mid-afternoon movie is just what the doctor ordered. I'm going to go see Labor Day despite the abysmal reviews it received, mostly because the part that I care about is popcorn.

Just got awarded a fellowship. *sighs*

Making it really hard for me to stay in California at this point. I don't want to leave home, but it'd be idiotic to turn Urbana's offer down, especially now with this fellowship.

Wait, I'm confused... Are you saying you already were accepted to UIUC? I wasn't aware they had sent out any results yet! I didn't see anything on the results board. Are you writing studies or literature?

(And congratulations on your fellowship!)

but did anyone fill out that box on your applications that asked what other programs you were applying to? Or the one that asked if you could afford graduate study without a fellowship/assistantship? Just curious how everyone else answered; the questions made me feel weird.

Didn't apply to UT, but in general, I avoid that question. Could be unreasonable paranoia, but what does it matter? It should have zero effect. I have a feeling they just want to know what students compare their program to.

When it comes to the funding questions, I always lowball it and assume things will be more expensive than I expect. Santa Barbara's application asked for a dollar amount I could contribute and I thought that was SUPER weird and I was uncomfortable. That was the only application of mine with that specficity.

Do you guys think no news is good news?  At what point of the year do you think it's bad to not have heard anything?

I've noticed PhD applicants appear to get sorted through before MA applicants.  Do you guys think any MA'ers have heard anything back?

Edited by skgarcia

Academicat, I really like this advice. I had been thinking about doing this recently; I could definitely work for seven or eight months, save the money, and spend the last three months traveling with whatever I've made. I think if I don't get into a PhD program, this will be the plan. I had been thinking of applying to MAs to fill the interim, but you're right. I'm in no hurry.

You might also want to consider AmeriCorps NCCC, where you'd get to travel and volunteer with a small stipend. If you complete the program, you get an education award of about $5000. I did the VISTA program which is more on the administrative side, but everyone I've talked to who did NCCC loved it. 

You might also want to consider AmeriCorps NCCC, where you'd get to travel and volunteer with a small stipend. If you complete the program, you get an education award of about $5000. I did the VISTA program which is more on the administrative side, but everyone I've talked to who did NCCC loved it.

Wow, I'll have to look into that! Sounds amazing. If I have some questions about it later, would you mind if I message you?

Do you guys think no news is good news?  At what point of the year do you think it's bad to not have heard anything?

I've noticed PhD applicants appear to get sorted through before MA applicants.  Do you guys think any MA'ers have heard anything back?

Frankly, I'd be amazed if you heard anything before the beginning of next month. Both of the MAs that you mentioned applying to tend to have cohorts composed largely of rejected PhDs offered admission to the MA program, and those responses tend to be the very last ones to come out.

Edited by dazedandbemused