Fall 2014 applicants??

Maybe I’ll contact them and see about applying for their American Studies program, as well. Thanks for the info! 

No problem!

They do have an MA in American Studies and Film Studies that might work for you (and I know they also have AHRC funding for MA students, somewhat unusually, and you may also be eligible for that - the rules on giving it to international students seem to be up to the university that holds the awards).

No problem!

They do have an MA in American Studies and Film Studies that might work for you (and I know they also have AHRC funding for MA students, somewhat unusually, and you may also be eligible for that - the rules on giving it to international students seem to be up to the university that holds the awards).

You’re like a British school info savant and I thank you for it! 

You’re like a British school info savant and I thank you for it! 

Well, I'm English and I do American Studies/Cultural Studies type stuff, so I don't know about being a savant as much as being marginally aware of the 17 schools that do my subject in my homeland  ;)

Just received my first acceptance! It's no Berkeley or Duke but it's definitely comforting and an extremely strong offer--full medical/dental/vision and 16k a year!

That's so exciting, congratulations!!!

Just received my first acceptance! It's no Berkeley or Duke but it's definitely comforting and an extremely strong offer--full medical/dental/vision and 16k a year! 

That's awesome news! Especially the full medical/dental/vision - that's so uncommon!

I don't think many people on this board applied to Michigan State, but if you're looking at the results board and see the two acceptances on there, I'm one of them.  Just got an email about 45 minutes ago, upon waking up from a nap.  Very pleased to have gotten an acceptance.  Funding is not certain, though (will hear in the next few weeks; they'll email me.)  I feel like I have a great shot at a TAship, though, given that I have tons of teaching experience.  Michigan State is one of my last choice schools (based on city; I'm fine with the school). But I'm very grateful for the acceptance and will seriously consider the offer.  I didn't apply anywhere that I absolutely wouldn't go, sooo....I may go there if funding is good and everything falls in place.  Still waiting to hear from 10 other schools.  

I don't think many people on this board applied to Michigan State, but if you're looking at the results board and see the two acceptances on there, I'm one of them. Just got an email about 45 minutes ago, upon waking up from a nap. Very pleased to have gotten an acceptance. Funding is not certain, though (will hear in the next few weeks; they'll email me.) I feel like I have a great shot at a TAship, though, given that I have tons of teaching experience. Michigan State is one of my last choice schools (based on city; I'm fine with the school). But I'm very grateful for the acceptance and will seriously consider the offer. I didn't apply anywhere that I absolutely wouldn't go, sooo....I may go there if funding is good and everything falls in place. Still waiting to hear from 10 other schools.

Well cheers to your first acceptance, congratulations :)

On 2/11/2014 at 4:34 PM, ArthurianChaucerian said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  That is so awesome, and an awesome package to boot. :)

Also, if anyone else applied to Missouri, I just got news that they are meeting tomorrow to put together the final list of acceptances--apparently creative goes out a bit earlier than Lit. I haven't seen anyone else talk about them, but thought I'd share the info.

Now I'm going to go back to staring at my inbox, after that notification from Washington University in St. Louis...

I've got 10 left as well. Crossing my fingers extra hard for the both of us.

:)  Crossing my fingers for you, too!

I "greedily" want at least a couple more acceptances.  It's *nothing* against Michigan State.  I just vaguely recall reading on past threads that Michigan State sometimes extends unfunded offers.  It's not a solid offer to me unless it's a funded one.  So...yeah.  

Getting an acceptance at all feels good, though.  

Speaking of funding, is it typical is it for a school to tell you that they will be making funding decisions based on whether you can fly out and visit them to demonstrate your dedication to the program?

I'm not entirely sold on this notion, myself.

EDITED to add: That might not be exactly accurate. More like insinuate that if you don't visit, you're endangering your chance to be considered for funding and that they won't know whether you're a good fit until you do so.

Edited by driftlake

Speaking of funding, is it typical is it for a school to tell you that they will be making funding decisions based on whether you can fly out and visit them to demonstrate your dedication to the program?

I'm not entirely sold on this notion, myself.

EDITED to add: That might not be exactly accurate. More like insinuate that if you don't visit, you're endangering your chance to be considered for funding and that they won't know whether you're a good fit until you do so.

Wow, I've never heard that. If they want you, I'd say they pay for you to come visit. And making funding decisions based on that sounds kinda like a dickish move. If you can't afford to fly out there, doesn't that mean that you're especially in need of funding. I understand the "dedication" argument but it's still a weirdly coercive move... What school is that?

I should add that they have extended what amounts to about 50% of the cost it would take to get there. It's a highly ranked and competitive school, but this honestly leaves me feeling a little cold. Actually, they're the only school that hasn't offered to cover the cost of a visit entirely, which is odd. 

I should add that they have extended what amounts to about 50% of the cost it would take to get there. It's a highly ranked and competitive school, but this honestly leaves me feeling a little cold. Actually, they're the only school that hasn't offered to cover the cost of a visit entirely, which is odd. 

I saw that you have offers from 2 others schools. So the question, you'll have to ask youself is, how much would you wanna go to this particular school if it were funded? I'm assuming they give everyone the same amount and then it's up to you how to get there, so people who live close by are probably at an advantage.

If you want to take that risk you might write back to tell them, that you can't afford the visit although you want to come, but that you'd have to decline if they can't fund you---but in a nicer way. If you play your cards right, they might be able to fund more of your travels. I still find it weird to offer funding based on that...

Wow, I've never heard that. If they want you, I'd say they pay for you to come visit. And making funding decisions based on that sounds kinda like a dickish move. If you can't afford to fly out there, doesn't that mean that you're especially in need of funding. I understand the "dedication" argument but it's still a weirdly coercive move... What school is that?

Exactly. Fuck that.

Congratulations! That’s such great news!!! :)

Really? I go that. I thought it was the norm. Go figure.

I'm sure it varies from school to school, and I haven't done a thorough investigation of every student health program, but it's usually just medical (in my experience).

No acceptances yet, but I thought I’d share some positive vibes (even at the risk of veering into sickening sentiment):

To be certain, this is a anxiety-producing, sleep-losing, self-esteem destroying, and emotionally wrecking process. I’ve said on here a couple of times that I just don’t know if I could do this again if I don’t get accepted. That being said, however, this afternoon I had my moment of clarity and comprehension.

I'd sulked up to campus feeling the pains of yet another implied rejection. I didn’t want to see anyone, I didn’t want to talk to anyone, and I most certainly didn’t want to put on a brave face for a group of college sophomores who just wouldn’t understand why their teacher hadn’t been as “zippy” as of late. But I went to class anyway and I smiled and I started in on a new lesson that I’d never taught before--and my students responded. They loved it. We laughed, we debated, and we learned. I realized that I feel more at home and more like myself in the classroom than I do in any other context. I walked out of that room smiling because my students were smiling and because I was genuinely happy over something so silly as an effective lesson plan.

And now, in this moment, I couldn’t care less that I may never become a tenure-track faculty member or that I might have to spend another $3000K applying to PhD programs next year. It just doesn’t matter because even though I’m a lowly Master’s student who didn’t get into Berkeley or Duke or maybe anywhere else this year, I still get to wake up every single day and do what I love.

For that reason, all of this temporary agony is so, so worth it. 

:)

Edited by Kamisha