Fall 2014 applicants??

Holy cow -

just accepted to the M.A. program at UMinnesota

tomorrow I have an interview for a technical writing position at a company

my life has literally spread into a perfect crossroads between academia and otherwise

is it insane to defer, make money for a year, and THEN attend an unfunded program?

Take the year off! Then scour the country for really cool funded MA programs (there are tons!) and apply to those + the unfunded ones you're considering. Just my random internet stranger two cents but academia will still be here next year and technical writing is a pretty cool prospect actually (I tried but couldn't find work in the area)

Thank You for the responses. I appreciate it. I guess I won't be finishing my PhD. This is especially hard for me because I was in the PhD. program at UW-Madison 4 years ago. I withdrew (not because of grades, I had a 3.95) when I was ABD because of an extremely traumatic divorce and death of my sister (at the same time). In the interim my advisor and another prof on my committee left. Because I was gone for more than a semester( I left in HJan of 2010) I have to apply for readmission--which would seem to be more of a sure thing than applying for the first time, but in reality it is not. Also, in order to even be considered I have to pre-arrange an entire dissertation committee (with only one professor in my area at this point). I really thought it would be easy to get into another program that shared my interests. But I was wrong. It just sucks that I did so much work and can't finish. 

Even if I did attempt UW, I would have to wait for next year and moving back there ( all my friends are gone and my ex-husband (& fiancee still live) would be very difficult emotionally. 

I guess I'm going to move to Thailand.

Jocko, why do you think you’ll never be finishing your PhD? I think that you can still do so. It might not be easy to get into another program, but clearly you’ve got the credentials and drive to do so.

Don’t give up! 

This may be a silly question, but when schools notify via email, it is usually a mass email to all accepted or individualized?

I'm desperate. 

And cheers to the Chicago acceptance!

Edited by JuliaSug

Kamisha--For a few reasons: I think there my be a lot of hesitation that I didn't finish at UW--even though I tried to frame it like I left because it wasn't a good fit instead of going into the personal crises; It seems much more competitive now than it did in 2007 when I was accepted to UW; I am at the point in my life where I need to move on and start over: Applying to grad school means that everything is potentially temporary because you (hope) you will be leaving soon. That very much affects starting relationships, employment choices and even financial decisions. 

If I were younger or had not experienced so much uncertainty/instability for so long (I have moved like 10 times in the past 4 years, the divorce left me in a not great financial situation, etc. etc.) and didn't have the liability of that unfinished program I might try again. I'm certainly not suggesting that other people give up. But I think it is time to stop trying to regain what I've lost and start completely over.

Hi thread – 

I was the recent UChicago post. Thanks for the congratulations! No info on how many accepted or the like, but good luck to you all! 

(Unfortunately, there is a good chance Chicago as a city will not survive this winter, so I'm holding my breath until Spring kicks in in... May...)

Hi thread – 

I was the recent UChicago post. Thanks for the congratulations! No info on how many accepted or the like, but good luck to you all! 

(Unfortunately, there is a good chance Chicago as a city will not survive this winter, so I'm holding my breath until Spring kicks in in... May...)

I love how you included the fact that you didn't get info for the rest of us. I appreciate you keeping us in mind when reading your acceptance letter. Makes me really glad we have the community here :) And yes, I do hope it doesn't become encased in snow :)

Hi thread – 

Congrats!

I was being productive and grading reading responses. Now, all I wanna do is stare at my inbox and will U Chicago into accepting me. :)

After seeing two flame wars this week in this forum, I decided to ask the interwebs about the person holding the lighter in both cases.

Punches thrown!!

*sits back to enjoy the show*

Edited by rising_star
to remove quoted personally identifying information

Hi thread – 

Congratulations!

Edited by jazzy dubois

Congrats to those who were accepted to UChicago! For those of us still waiting to hear, what does your application status page look like? I don't even have a decision status section or anything, just an activity thing for which the last entry was me submitting my application... Can anybody shed some light here?

After seeing two flame wars this week in this forum, I decided to ask the interwebs about the person holding the lighter in both cases.

I am troubled by this post, in part because one of the "flame war" references mentioned began with a post from me. I responded to her question about the state of the field, and I mentioned my job title to give some context to my response. The conversation quickly turned from a conversation to something a little more aggressive and personal, in part fueled by the haze of unease and insecurity that this point in the application season brings, which is understandable.

While all of this detective work you've done may be true, this kind of calling-out is unkind and unnecessary, and I question why anyone would feel the need to attempt to embarrass a fellow graduate student like this, especially under the veil of an anonymous nick. I like to think TheGradCafe is a place where we support one another in a positive, constructive way as we go through a difficult process. Navigating academia can be challenging, especially for someone coming from a family that is not full of academics, which may be where the "false credentials" came from - from a place of misunderstanding coupled with worry, rather than from a place of actual, out-and-out deceit. Balancing self-promotion is challenging, especially in our field. We all have to learn how to speak the language, but we also learn how to navigate politics (and egos), and the particulars of job titles are one of those tricky political issues that take some time to learn. Yes, referring to a GA position as if it is a full-time, permanent position is a gaffe, but the more constructive response would have been a private message, or at the very least, to have the respect to point it out politely under your main nick.

I don't pretend to know this person's situation, but I do know that we have an obligation to be at least respectful and give one another the benefit of the doubt. If you already understand the politics of academe, then you are coming from a position of privilege. Use your privilege to lift your colleagues up, not shame and bully them.

Edited by fuzzylogician
to remove quoted personally identifying information

I’m in the same boat in terms of feeling most confident about the schools that notify in March, though I’m really not feeling confident about anything at this point. 

Baylor is flying 15 of us out for interviews (PhD program preview) this weekend, so send good vibes my way. I need to wow them. I doubt they’ll take all fifteen of us. It’s likely going to be Hunger Games: Academia Edition. 

Good luck!! From what I've seen on the forums you have a lot of valuable experience that would enrich any program you joined. And if you speak like you type then you are probably well-spoken as well. I hope everything goes well for you! :)

Good luck!! From what I've seen on the forums you have a lot of valuable experience that would enrich any program you joined. And if you speak like you type then you are probably well-spoken as well. I hope everything goes well for you! :)

Thank you for your kind words. Congrats on your UC San Diego acceptance! I’m sure many more are headed your way. 

Anyone get waitlisted to the Lit program at Duke? I know they've interviewed, invited people for a campus visit, and sent out some rejections over the past couple weeks, but I still have no update on my status. 

Kamisha--For a few reasons: I think there my be a lot of hesitation that I didn't finish at UW--even though I tried to frame it like I left because it wasn't a good fit instead of going into the personal crises; It seems much more competitive now than it did in 2007 when I was accepted to UW; I am at the point in my life where I need to move on and start over: Applying to grad school means that everything is potentially temporary because you (hope) you will be leaving soon. That very much affects starting relationships, employment choices and even financial decisions. 

If I were younger or had not experienced so much uncertainty/instability for so long (I have moved like 10 times in the past 4 years, the divorce left me in a not great financial situation, etc. etc.) and didn't have the liability of that unfinished program I might try again. I'm certainly not suggesting that other people give up. But I think it is time to stop trying to regain what I've lost and start completely over.

I think you can make it, but I guess you just have to decide if you really want to. Have you thought about working while taking classes as a non-degree seeking student? I don’t know for sure, but I’ve heard that university’s look upon that favorably when apply for a program. I could be wrong, though. I just think I read that on here somewhere.

Anyway, you are clearly bright and talented and kind and will no doubt be successful at whatever career path you choose to purpose. If you decide academia isn’t for you this year, that doesn’t mean you can never come back. That being said, I have faith that you’ll get into a program and that you’ll excel. 

Anyone get waitlisted to the Lit program at Duke? I know they've interviewed, invited people for a campus visit, and sent out some rejections over the past couple weeks, but I still have no update on my status. 

I interviewed about two weeks ago and I'm still waiting. No word on acceptance, rejection, campus visit, waitlist, nothing. Just slightly infuriating.