Fall 2014 applicants??

Despejado you will be in my thoughts this week!!! I hope you get in. :)

My goal is to see you, Kamisha, and shortstack into a school! Lol. That way I can feel victorious even in my defeats!

Same goes for you! I'm waiting for the day you hear good news!

3 schools I applied to are supposed to get back to me this week based on past years. I just want to know! Two of my schools don't notify until mid-March, including my current school. Yikes.

3 schools I applied to are supposed to get back to me this week based on past years. I just want to know! Two of my schools don't notify until mid-March, including my current school. Yikes.

Shortstack, this is about where I am, too. It's going to be a long month coming up, especially since some of the schools I think I have the best chance at don't notify til mid-march. I've started to look at funded MA programs with deadlines in March just in case.

Despejado you will be in my thoughts this week!!! I hope you get in. :)

My goal is to see you, Kamisha, and shortstack into a school! Lol. That way I can feel victorious even in my defeats!

That is so kind of you! My goal is to see you get in, as well. 

Teamwork. 

Shortstack, this is about where I am, too. It's going to be a long month coming up, especially since some of the schools I think I have the best chance at don't notify til mid-march. I've started to look at funded MA programs with deadlines in March just in case.

I’m in the same boat in terms of feeling most confident about the schools that notify in March, though I’m really not feeling confident about anything at this point. 

Baylor is flying 15 of us out for interviews (PhD program preview) this weekend, so send good vibes my way. I need to wow them. I doubt they’ll take all fifteen of us. It’s likely going to be Hunger Games: Academia Edition. 

Unfortunately, I'm about to complete my MA, so if I don't get in, I'm up the creek. At least I'll be able to get some kind of steady work (I hope), though. I'd really like to get into 2 schools so I have a choice this time around.

I see a Washington in your signature--is that UW or WSU? I applied to both. UW apparently doesn't get back to you until mid-March, while WSU gets back to you at the end of February via postal if you're admitted.

Unfortunately, I'm about to complete my MA, so if I don't get in, I'm up the creek. At least I'll be able to get some kind of steady work (I hope), though. I'd really like to get into 2 schools so I have a choice this time around.

I see a Washington in your signature--is that UW or WSU? I applied to both. UW apparently doesn't get back to you until mid-March, while WSU gets back to you at the end of February via postal if you're admitted.

It's UW-Seattle! Them, Syracuse, and if I remember correctly, Boulder, should be my last notifications, and they're the ones I'm hoping work out (mostly because everywhere else I applied to is pretty insanely prestigious: regret).

How many schools are you waiting to hear back from now? I've still got 11, so I'm trying to keep my head up. I'm sure you'll be fine too, so don't jump head-first into that creek just yet!

It's UW-Seattle! Them, Syracuse, and if I remember correctly, Boulder, should be my last notifications, and they're the ones I'm hoping work out (mostly because everywhere else I applied to is pretty insanely prestigious: regret).

How many schools are you waiting to hear back from now? I've still got 11, so I'm trying to keep my head up. I'm sure you'll be fine too, so don't jump head-first into that creek just yet!

Haha, I'm trying. It's tempting, though! I applied to 11 total (all I could afford, sadly). I've only officially heard back from 1 with a rejection (UCLA), but I have implied rejections from BC and probably NYU now as well.

I think the schools I applied to were a little too high on the list. The last time I applied, I only applied to 2 schools that weren't in the top 20, which was a really bad idea (I only got into 1). This time around,  I tried to be more evenly spread throughout the top 50 (as I was instructed by my adcomm), but I still think I was a little unbalanced. I also had to restrict where I was applying based on some other life factors (ie, my fiancee applying, where we can live, etc).

You've got plenty of schools to go, so don't fret yet either, though it's smart that you're looking into back ups just in case.

In a perfect world, we would both get into UW and be merry! UW is one of my top choices in terms of fit.

I have been trying to stay off this forum, but I am so anxious and upset right now. My third LOR is still missing even though I know the Prof sent it. I emailed Irvine again to ask if they had it (the second time). The grad coordinator did not really answer my question. He just said they were reviewing my application and if admitted I would have to submit the 3rd letter. I was a bit frustrated, because he kind of ignored what I had asked. I emailed him back and said I could easily send the right letter now if they were still making decisions, but if he felt it wasn't useful to let me know. He emailed me back "per my previous email, we are reviewing your application…" Which really seems to mean they don't care about the letter because they have rejected me, and to stop bothering him. If they really were still making a decision it would make sense for them to have me resend it just in case. 

There were so many difficulties applying to Irvine, they lost things, had wrong information, etc. Obviously the third letter didn't matter, but I wish they would have read it because I know it was a great letter. It seems unfair that they first lost the letter, then when the prof resent it not only lost it again (well really three times because the resend was emailed both to the DGS and department coordinator) but ignored the  the email I sent to ensure the resend was received.

I understand they can't tell you what your status is, but he could have said something like "we did not receive your third letter. We have reviewed your file and made a decision. You will receive the decision soon." Then it would be absolutely done. Instead he made it sound like they were still deciding, which is the only reason I made an attempt to resend the letter a third time. Now I just feel like an idot. And rejected. But still with that terrible anxiety about doing everything I can if there is even the smallest chance.

Why did he give me hope and pretend the app. was still being reviewed? And on the off chance things are not final, why can't I resend the letter? I mean, they lost it--or at the very least they ignored my inquiries about it. Part of me feels like I should just have the prof resend the letter to the DGS JUST IN CASE because the grad coordinator and DGS often are not on the same page. (at one point the coordinator told me there was absolutely NO WAY review my application because they didn't have me transcript by Dec 15th, but when i emailed the DGS he told me to go ahead and send the transcript and they would indeed review my app--which brings top the question why they didn't tell me the LOR was missing then).

I know this seems hopeless, but I would really appreciated feedback. Should I try the DGS, just in case they are still in review???Please give me your thoughts, as I don't want to be further humiliated. I mean it really seems like the coordinator is telling me I have been (or soon will be) denied. Right??

Any input would help, because I am SO confused.

Has anyone heard back from Chicago? Last year they seemed to have sent out results in the first week of February.

I believe faculty hiring has pushed things back a bit; at least that would be my guess. The prospective day has been set, but that's all I know.

It looks like Boulder's first round of acceptances went out about Feb. 15th last year (unless I'm completely hallucinating)...although it seems like it took them forever to send out their second round.

Has anyone heard back from Chicago? Last year they seemed to have sent out results in the first week of February.

Still waiting on Chicago. The suspense is killing me. :blink:

Also still waiting on Chicago, but that should be coming soon...

Ah okay. Couldn't remember off the top of my head if Boulder notified in March. Two rounds of acceptances sounds like total hell.. I get to watch everyone else get accepted and then wait a month? Cool.

I believe faculty hiring has pushed things back a bit; at least that would be my guess. The prospective day has been set, but that's all I know.

Thanks Jazzy! Chicago's a reach for me, but it's good to hear something about any possible decision.

I really just want TX@Austin to notify. Purdue started around this time last year, too. So much for my not looking at the boards/forum. But when you're on a train, nervous out of your mind since you're presenting in front of potential adcomm people, what else can a guy do?

Anybody? I know my previous post was really long. I just feel like I would need to contact the DGS ASAP if I were to do anything?

I'm not sure emailing the DGS at this point will be fruitful, but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't say they have rejected you, and perhaps the 3rd LOR in this case will be like official transcripts upon acceptance, more a formality for completion. Not that any of that will make you less-nervous, obviously! But emailing again could put them off about you. No one really knows in these situations.

Anybody? I know my previous post was really long. I just feel like I would need to contact the DGS ASAP if I were to do anything?

I think you already have your answer. This is a demoralizing and sometimes inhumane process. Try to relax. Breathe. Binge watch bad tv. And trust. I wouldn't send anything else at this point. We're all in the same boat. And we'll make it. :)

I would say now. You sent a few emails already. They probably just can't/don't want to check. Let it be. 

I agree with Mikers86’s post above--contact them. 

Edited by Kamisha

I would say now. You sent a few emails already. They probably just can't/don't want to check. Let it be.

I agree. If you've already emailed several times, they know your position and don't seem to be concerned, so you shouldn't be. I think it'll all turn out okay, in complete honesty.

Definitely don't email them or contact them. From what you described, if he said that he was reviewing your application, that's what he meant--your application is still being looked at. It doesn't seem like the missing letter is a big deal because he said if you were admitted you could just submit it later. 

Thank You for the responses. I appreciate it. I guess I won't be finishing my PhD. This is especially hard for me because I was in the PhD. program at UW-Madison 4 years ago. I withdrew (not because of grades, I had a 3.95) when I was ABD because of an extremely traumatic divorce and death of my sister (at the same time). In the interim my advisor and another prof on my committee left. Because I was gone for more than a semester( I left in HJan of 2010) I have to apply for readmission--which would seem to be more of a sure thing than applying for the first time, but in reality it is not. Also, in order to even be considered I have to pre-arrange an entire dissertation committee (with only one professor in my area at this point). I really thought it would be easy to get into another program that shared my interests. But I was wrong. It just sucks that I did so much work and can't finish. 

Even if I did attempt UW, I would have to wait for next year and moving back there ( all my friends are gone and my ex-husband (& fiancee still live) would be very difficult emotionally. 

I guess I'm going to move to Thailand.