Fall 2014 applicants??

Speaking of Plan B...I’ve been thinking about Plan B options in case I don’t get into a great PhD program this year. Good news: all of Wendy’s old training videos are available on YouTube! :)

For the record, this post isn’t serious. That video is just too great to pass up. 

Edited by Kamisha

Oh dear, Rose Egypt, that is a loaded question! Half of the people here will say go ahead and call, the other half will say NOOOOOOOO, what are you thinking!!!!??? If you call them, a baby angel will rip its wings off  . . . So you'll have to decide on your own which is the better option . . . personally, my guardian angel isn't good at keeping rejections away, so I wouldn't be too upset if his wings got ripped off.

Edited by andrewcycs

Especially because I focus on cold drinks, I think that really effected their decision.

I also seem to recall that you are a Medievalist. Clearly, they are more focused on 1990s American culture. 

Lol, I'm actually critical theory! But I may be just a regular old high school teacher should things turn out sour come April.

Haha Critical Theory is one of my interest areas, we well :) And don’t knock high school teaching. Lol. I did that for two years and I actually enjoyed it a lot (minus the eyes of the administration monitoring everything I did). It’s not what I want to do, but I think I could do it for another couple of years if I have to go through the PhD application process again, though I’d likely just stick to teaching composition because I love doing it. 

Speaking of Plan B...I’ve been thinking about Plan B options in case I don’t get into a great PhD program this year. Good news: all of Wendy’s old training videos are available on YouTube! :)

For the record, this post isn’t serious. That video is just too great to pass up. 

Lets be honest, this may be a necessary option for many of us even AFTER we finish our Ph.D's. 

Lets be honest, this may be a necessary option for many of us even AFTER we finish our Ph.D's. 

True, though I think I’d be more inclined to go the Starbucks route. I like the sound of “Barista.” 

I'm quite depressed now. Northwestern Comp Lit sent acceptances as well as rejections and I didn't hear anything. Should I e-mail them? Waiting sucks 

I'm probably going to get my head chomped upon for saying this, but I'd maybe give it at least another week before you do?

That way, if they're getting stuff together, you've given them time, and you don't look pushy.  Rejections did just go out a day or two ago. And it's been a short enough time that they could even still be rastling up funding.  We don't know.

But it's totally up to you.  Just my two cents.  Not looking to step on anyone's toes.

I am so confused as to why Davis hasn't rejected me yet. I finally got my Irvine rejection though, so that's fun. Last year my first rejection came right as I landed at the Vienna airport. This year, I was on break at Barnes and Noble. I can't decide which was worse.

Also, congrats to whoever got the Cincinnati acceptance. I went to UC for undergrad and the faculty are great :)

I am so confused as to why Davis hasn't rejected me yet. I finally got my Irvine rejection though, so that's fun. Last year my first rejection came right as I landed at the Vienna airport. This year, I was on break at Barnes and Noble. I can't decide which was worse.

Also, congrats to whoever got the Cincinnati acceptance. I went to UC for undergrad and the faculty are great :)

Wait, what program did you apply to at Irvine? I’m assuming rejection, but I haven’t heard anything yet. I applied to their English program. 

Maybe good news awaits you from Davis! 

I applied to the Culture and Theory program. I hope re: Davis, but I'm sure it's probably a rejection. ><

I was rejected from Davis. I can’t say that I’m “surprised” because you can never be surprised when these things happen, but four people from Davis had been looking at my Academia.edu and LinkedIn accounts and I was hoping that would translate into good news. Alas, it did not. 

That's me, and I am stoked! It was so unexpected. Were you in the English Dept? Can I pick your brain in a message?

This is just a general thank you from a lurker and first-time poster. It's kind of wonderful to see a supportive community of people here. One of my big concerns, as something of an introvert, is going to a new school and acclimating to new people and communities, but you all give me some hope that there will be cool people to meet at a great many schools. :) Also, it's nice to not be the only one who is feeling that creeping sense of anxiety and eagerness about what the next few weeks will bring!

:)