Fall 2014 applicants??

Also bear in mind while it is “the beginning of notification season,” it is the end of the notification process for some schools. 

Not necessarily. Two schools I didn't hear a peep from until mid-March last year offered spots in their MA programs (Duke and UVA). And it's entirely possible to be waitlisted and not be notified of it. 

Someone mentioned that grad apps are like applying for a job. If an employer says they will touch base with you in 2 weeks, would you call them 5 days later to see how everything is going?

Not harping on you specifically, but just trying to put this whole crazy mess into perspective. This is why people say to stay away from GC!  :wacko:

Edited by jazzy dubois

I completely understand the desire for peace of mind and the madness of anxiety, but I still feel that a phone call should be a last resort -- for example, once a slew of rejections and acceptances have gone out, and you haven't heard anything. Not this early in the season, with one or two acceptances on the board. Obviously, more responses are coming. What benefit is there to getting a general answer like "responses will be out in February"? Anyway, that information can usually be gleaned from past years. 

One phone call might not make a big deal, but you also might not be the only one calling/emailing. These people are usually overworked and swamped with tasks, especially at this time of year. I don't see the need in interrupting them with a phone call, even if it's just a minute, just because the waiting is painful. I agree with whoever mentioned upthread that patience is a sign of maturity. 

If you felt the call wasn't a big deal to you or them, OK. Cool. But personally, I don't think I will share any more info on the boards, at least not early info like that. I didn't really think of the consequences; I just thought it would provide helpful info, not make people more stressed.

You can't control what people will do or how they'll react, so sometimes the best course of action is no action. 

As people who know how to write and are well-versed in rhetoric and the concept of tone, I think it might be best if all of us really think about what we are trying to say and how we want to say it. These boards should act as a community where we build each other up and share our experiences, not speak to others (who we really don’t know) with a critical or condemning eye. We can start a thread for that, if certain individuals feel the need to point out everything that others are doing wrong.

Why don’t we all just try to keep it civil and friendly?

In the words of Troy Bolton from High School Musical, “We’re all in this together.” 

As people who know how to write and are well-versed in rhetoric and the concept of tone, I think it might be best if all of us really think about what we are trying to say and how we want to say it. These boards should act as a community where we build each other up and share our experiences, not speak to others (who we really don’t know) with a critical or condemning eye. We can start a thread for that, if certain individuals feel the need to point out everything that others are doing wrong.

In the words of Troy Bolton from High School Musical, “We’re all in this together.” 

This isn't an argument...

You should see the philosophy boards.

Gahhh. The drivel that drives them insane is remarkable.

Kamisha--I'm glad you changed your list of schools you applied to so that you don't have implied rejections. We don't ever really know. I mean I wouldn't ever do it, but it crossed my mind that you could mess with a lot of people just by making up posts--it is a rich and unexplored venue for terrorism. 

Hi - any idea when Wash U (STL) has notified in the past? Any word from them so far this year?

It looks like they notified a week or so ago last year for acceptances, and sent out rejections on Valentine's day or the day after--I got mine on V day.  Haven't heard anything about this year yet, which doesn't mean anything good or bad at this point--either they're behind, or every acceptance is someone not on GC.  No clue.  I'm thinking things have been delayed--I know some schools have been closed for snow.

Kamisha--I'm glad you changed your list of schools you applied to so that you don't have implied rejections. We don't ever really know. I mean I wouldn't ever do it, but it crossed my mind that you could mess with a lot of people just by making up posts--it is a rich and unexplored venue for terrorism. 

Yeah. I’m still fairly certain I’ll be rejected from all of those places, but I’ve just decided to take it one day at a time.  

I up voted your post, Kamisha. :P I have cancelled that negative energy!

Booyah! Hooray positive energy! 

Well, I said what I wanted to say the way I wanted to say it. It's not personal; it's an opinion. 

As for "pointing out everything that others are doing wrong"?  :blink:

All I've done here is suggest that we not call departments the first week of February because one acceptance appears on the board. That's all. 

What do you think about the theory that Vanderbilt is not done with the admissions and are waiting to roll out more before they send rejections. It's a small program but two measly admissions and a waitlist and no rejections sound to me like they accepted people who work in a certain areas that they agreed on and they're still figuring out the rest. According to the results page, they haven't taken quite so long to roll out rejections since 2011. Okay that's not that long ago, but I'm still wondering...

On that note, maybe someone know more. How do you think the whole process works? Do you think all add com people sit at a table and discuss all applications at the same time? That must be a loooooong day. Or do they roughtly focus on applicants interested in British Renaissance lit. one day and American another day. It's probably impossible to devide that up because everyone is interested in several things and I would imagine it's an organizational hodgepodge...

Many of us are feeling SUPER anxious because unfortunately we haven't had any acceptances yet and are starting to feel a little desperate. If a phone call can relieve some of that anxiety--great. I'm sure we're all capable of weighing the pros and cons of making such a call, given the advice that various others have given on here. If someone here is calling a department to ask about the status of their decisions, they probably know what they're getting into. Those of us who have not received acceptances anywhere and are waiting on decisions really don't need to be condescended over how anxious we might be feeling.

Anyway, I'm going crazy over not hearing from Vanderbilt or UCI yet! Also waiting to hear from NYU, but at least no one else has yet either.

What do you think about the theory that Vanderbilt is not done with the admissions and are waiting to roll out more before they send rejections. It's a small program but two measly admissions and a waitlist and no rejections sound to me like they accepted people who work in a certain areas that they agreed on and they're still figuring out the rest. According to the results page, they haven't taken quite so long to roll out rejections since 2011. Okay that's not that long ago, but I'm still wondering...

On that note, maybe someone know more. How do you think the whole process works? Do you think all add com people sit at a table and discuss all applications at the same time? That must be a loooooong day. Or do they roughtly focus on applicants interested in British Renaissance lit. one day and American another day. It's probably impossible to devide that up because everyone is interested in several things and I would imagine it's an organizational hodgepodge...

i could be wrong, but I have a feeling that Vanderbilt is done. Sometimes I forget that everyone who receives acceptances isn’t on GradCafe. It’s very possible that they accepted 5 or 6 more people who haven’t yet posted their acceptances on the Results page. I’d like to think it’s a “roll out” thing, but they don’t typically do wait list notifications until they’ve made all of their acceptances.

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong. I applied to Vanderbilt, as well, so I’d definitely love to be wrong! 

i could be wrong, but I have a feeling that Vanderbilt is done. Sometimes I forget that everyone who receives acceptances isn’t on GradCafe. It’s very possible that they accepted 5 or 6 more people who haven’t yet posted their acceptances on the Results page. I’d like to think it’s a “roll out” thing, but they don’t typically do wait list notifications until they’ve made all of their acceptances.

Here’s to hoping I’m wrong. I applied to Vanderbilt, as well, so I’d definitely love to be wrong! 

Well, I fear that too but let's both hope we're wrong :)

Well, I fear that too but let's both hope we're wrong :)

For what it’s worth, I tend to be wrong a lot of the time. Haha. 

Looks like we both also applied to Chapel Hill! :)

Edited by Kamisha

A little disappointing that Vanderbilt did not send out rejections first this year, like they seemed to in the past.

This has been exactly my experience, as well. I’m the Assistant Director of Composition at my university and teach 1010 and 2010 (Comp I and II) and our graduate instructors are also primarily literature or American Studies students. We actually don’t even have a Rhet/Comp emphasis, though I know a couple of people plan to pursue that route for their PhD.

The political situation surrounding “practical skills” vs. literary studies is exactly what I was alluding to. I see so much hostility on both sides of the fence as a result and I can understand it on each end. Those individuals who pursue Rhet/Comp shouldn’t be viewed as the villains who are trying to take the “art” out of the humanities. It’s an absolutely valid and fascinating field. On the other hand, as a literature person myself, I have to worry about the fear of a potential position being “de-funded” because the university no longer sees the need for it.

I really wish that English departments would find a way to unite on these topics and emphasize the values of all fields. At the risk of sounding sappy, I don’t think that the politics of the university should divide those of us who pursue literary arts. Administrators are bad enough as it is. I just hate seeing the growing Rhet/Comp vs. Literature vs. Prof/Tech vs. Creative factions of the English community. 

Kamisha. that's going to be up to us to change - that's the task of our generation of scholars. Everything is shifting right now, and we're riding the front edge of the wave. It's an exciting time to be getting a PhD.

For what it’s worth, I tend to be wrong a lot of the time. Haha. 

Looks like we both also applied to Chapel Hill! :)

Yes! I wasn't too sure about Chapel Hill in the beginning but it definitely looks like an interesting and versatile faculty.