Fall 2014 applicants??

Looks like most MA notices were sent out mid-February. I'll keep holding on to the hope that maybe I wasn't passed over!

Yes, you never know. Someone might have been in contact with them for another reason and found out early. I hope we both hear good news!

Please resist the urge to e-mail grad departments. We've just reached the first week of February. It may feel like 5 years in GC time, but it's just the beginning of the notification season. Unfortunately, not knowing is part of the process. But you never know what might come out on the other end, an offer for the PhD program or the MA program. Looking at that thread from another forum someone posted, I'd be wary about sending unnecessary e-mails with grad departments, especially when there's a good chance not everything has been decided yet. 

Just my $.02.

I’m extremely wary about emailing departments, which is why I don’t typically do it. 

Also bear in mind while it is “the beginning of notification season,” it is the end of the notification process for some schools. If all acceptances and wait lists have already gone out (another GC member called UC-Davis to confirm this and informed me), then why twiddle my thumbs in misery knowing that they likely won’t sent out official rejections until March? 

Again, I absolutely agree that you must be weary. I, myself, posted the article you are referencing on this thread. You have to way the benefits and costs. 

Please resist the urge to e-mail grad departments. We've just reached the first week of February. It may feel like 5 years in GC time, but it's just the beginning of the notification season. Unfortunately, not knowing is part of the process. But you never know what might come out on the other end, an offer for the PhD program or the MA program. Looking at that thread from another forum someone posted, I'd be wary about sending unnecessary e-mails with grad departments, especially when there's a good chance not everything has been decided yet. 

Just my $.02.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

Leave them alone!  

It's fairly early. 

I'm impatient as a mofo, too, but not so much so as to email asking questions about things that are going to come out within three to four weeks whether I like it or not.  

If it makes it easier for you, assume rejections all-around and take it like a pleasant surprise if you get in.  Get zen with it all.  Be like....que sera, sera.  

The intense part of the application process (roughly October through December) is enough of a dignity-taker-away.  Don't let your dignity be taken away (and don't give it away) yet more by being a pest to the department. 

They would just view you like a little kid who opens Christmas presents on December 17th. 

One thing they are looking for (and this has nothing to do with age, necessarily) is maturity.  Ability to delay gratification is what many associate with maturity.  So...please relax.  

Edited by purpleperson

Here's one thing I've noticed: checking Grad Cafe seems to be ruffling my normal composure. It's hard to read so many expressions of anxiety and not start to feel the same way. So I'm off--but with best wishes to all for peace of mind and happy results of one sort or another!

Change your university password to some sort of keyboard slam (e.g. "ourhy389hcoiashd")

Copy and paste it into the "verify password" box and hit okay.

Drink all weekend.

Wait until IT can reset your password on Monday.

Hahahahaha. What a perfect plan. 

I think I'll do the same with my email, just to be safe. Either that or I'll make someone babysit my phone and computer for me until Monday. Eesh. 

Weird. Maybe you guescan give me some insight. I had a late LOR ( the prof was in the hospital). I had emailed MN a while ago about it. The grad com got back to me and said°- we look at all applications, regardless of a missing letter. Those applications are not the first ones we look at, though." So, does that mean I'm screwed and they really are not considering me or just that that is why I have not been notified? You think shed just say at this point, sorry you didn't get in. Half of me wants to think they are still deciding. The other half thinks this is a lead in for rejection. Kamisha-- are you assuming Irvine based on that acceptance? What did Davis say?

Weird. Maybe you guescan give me some insight. I had a late LOR ( the prof was in the hospital). I had emailed MN a while ago about it. The grad com got back to me and said°- we look at all applications, regardless of a missing letter. Those applications are not the first ones we look at, though." So, does that mean I'm screwed and they really are not considering me or just that that is why I have not been notified? You think shed just say at this point, sorry you didn't get in. Half of me wants to think they are still deciding. The other half thinks this is a lead in for rejection. Kamisha-- are you assuming Irvine based on that acceptance? What did Davis say?

There’s actually two Irvine acceptances posted now (one is under Irvine and one is under UCI). Historically, they only send out acceptances on one day and then rejections follow. As such, I’m assuming rejection. I haven’t yet heard back from Davis, but I noticed someone else posted a rejection, which is curious. 

Apparently all is not lost with BC. I'm still guessing rejection, but at least I have some hope. Thanks to whoever called!

I'm sort of confused by that posting because I've been wait-listed for their PhD program and spoke with the director, who informed me that they extended offers to four applicants, and wait-listed three. Perhaps it's referencing the fact that many PhD applicants receive offers to join the MA program? 

Yep. I'm also Dirty Window. BUT I just called. I didn't give my name--but Malcolm Bourne said they have NOT sent out all the acceptances yet. So there is hope. Not much, but hope. 

Yep. I'm also Dirty Window. BUT I just called. I didn't give my name--but Malcolm Bourne said they have NOT sent out all the acceptances yet. So there is hope. Not much, but hope. 

I love you so much right now. 

I'm sort of confused by that posting because I've been wait-listed for their PhD program and spoke with the director, who informed me that they extended offers to four applicants, and wait-listed three. Perhaps it's referencing the fact that many PhD applicants receive offers to join the MA program?

That might be right. Last year they extended offers in late Feb I think to people for an MA instead. Ok, so I will still assume implied rejection. Thanks for the info and congrats on the wait list!

Sigh. So, I understand people are anxious, but I think it is very inappropriate to call a department - especially based on one or two acceptances this early in the season. 

I definitely regret posting my acceptances to the board because one led to someone calling the department, which is a) bothersome to the staff and b ) reflects poorly on the accepted applicants who shared their results. My board acceptance also included information on the department's status in getting news out, which is why I don't understand the need to call and pester.

My intention in sharing results was never to result in more stress among applicants or more calls for the department to handle -- which, honestly, is just time taken away from the actual administration of grad apps. 

:(

Edited by Pumpkinpasty

That might be right. Last year they extended offers in late Feb I think to people for an MA instead. Ok, so I will still assume implied rejection. Thanks for the info and congrats on the wait list!

No problem! It's still a possibility that you'll be accepted to their MA program, which evidently includes the possibility of funding!

I got the February newsletter from UChicago earlier, and for a second my heart soared so high when I read the name but only until I saw the subject line...

It's close to 8 pm here and I know that it's 6+ hours earlier where you guys are so do you think anyone will still send out notifications today? Here in Germany, Friday afternoon is kinda like nap time where everyone is already preparing for the weekend.

I guess I have a different view pumpkinpasty. The phone call was under a minute and I asked for very general information. I understand departments are busy, but we did pay almost 100$ in an application fee. It is too bad that the results board causes so much anxiety. I almost wish I had never seen it, to be honest. But now I'm fixated. And if a 45 second phone call can relieve some of my anxiety, then I'm all for it.

I think I would feel differently if I had repeatedly bothered them with difficult questions, but my query didn't make any extra work for anyone--I doubt it set anything important back. Also, once you have an admit, I think your perspective changes a bit. The terrible thing about anxiety is it isn't rational. Once the anxiety has lifted, it is probably a little easier to just let things go.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, its just that at first I felt bad when I read the post, like I had been extremely inappropriate. But then when I thought about it I reconsidered, and I didn't want to leave your comment as the only word out there, in case there are others who are thinking about a quick call that could put them out of their misery. 

I am inclined to see things from Jocko's perspective! It's a phone call! I doubt departments see this as that big of a deal. And if they do, then imagine how terrible a department it would be to work in when they don't want to give you a time for a phone call, but you want them to give you the time to advise you on a thesis!!

I feel like both arguments are valid. If it helps you, go for it! But you should also bear in mind that you're probably not to only one calling them, and even if you're nice and quick and reasonable on the phone, you might get lumped in with someone who pestered them an hour before or the other day, so I'd suggest to only call if you really feel you have to. It won't speed up the process anyway, sadly.

I keep hearing about growing tension between Literature studies and Rhet/Comp studies. Has anyone else? What do you guys think about that? 

That tension is nothing new. Where I teach now, I work as faculty in the writing and rhetoric department, and our GAs come from the English department, so our GAs are mostly literature and creative writing graduate students. Many of those students see the teaching of freshman composition as a necessary evil, though they look down their noses at it and hope never to have to do it again after they finish their degrees. So many of them have this attitude because they reflect the attitudes of their mentors. Of course, not all literature scholars snub comp/rhet in this way, but it's nothing new, and here's why:

Most incoming first-year students take Comp I and II, which can generate tons of revenue for whatever department administrates the course. As Rhet/Comp studies departments split from traditional English/Literature departments, they take the cash-cow classes with them. On top of that, we are living in an academic and economic environment environment that favors what people perceive as job preparation and practical skills, meaning that higher-level university administrators may feel pressure to place more value (and invest funding) in writing and rhetoric classes more than in literature classes. We in the field appreciate the value of understanding literature, but those administrators may not. When the comp. department splits from the literature department, it becomes even more complex because this split can endanger the literature department's funding. Keep in mind this is only one facet of the tension, and it's overly simplified in many ways, but it does help begin to understand the politics that create the scaffolding for it.