Fall 2014 applicants??

In re UT and subject exam, I have a relative in the program, and she's shared with me that many fellow students have noted that their GRE scores---both general and subject---were not optimum. She said many of them voiced the following line: "I stressed and stressed about my GRE scores, and then I got in and realized they didn't even matter."

Of course, they do matter to an extent, but not to the degree that the statement on the UT website often inspires in applicants.

In re UT and subject exam, I have a relative in the program, and she's shared with me that many fellow students have noted that their GRE scores---both general and subject---were not optimum. She said many of them voiced the following line: "I stressed and stressed about my GRE scores, and then I got in and realized they didn't even matter."

Of course, they do matter to an extent, but not to the degree that the statement on the UT website often inspires in applicants.

That's great news. Thanks so much! Eases my nerves some.

I wonder if the NYU person got called today or during the week and they just posted late!

Congratulations!!! Whoever you are! Enjoy it, before I hunt you down. ;)

Seconded! I am nervous now. I'm not really expecting anything from NYU, though, so congrats to the person who got accepted!

Upon emailing another school from which I was rejected to find out how I could become more competitive in the future:

“The admissions committee was impressed by your admissions packet and has no doubt you are a fine scholar and will find success in your future studies. An applicant with your qualifications, capabilities, and research interests is sure to find great success in any American Studies, Film and Media Studies, Cultural Studies, or Media and Modern Culture program.”

So...I guess English programs weren’t the best idea? Haha. Well if I go 0/14 across the board, I will assume this is why. I’ve done Film and Cultural Studies emphases in both my undergrad and grad degrees, but it looks like my interest areas might be moving more into visual media than English departments are going to want. I actually consciously thought about this before I applied, but I want to teach in an English department, so I was stubborn. Should I go 0/14, I won’t make that mistake again. 

Disheartening, but at least they aren’t saying, “F*** you. Nobody will ever want you. Get out of academia.” 

I've tried to go through this thread, but I was hoping someone could help me out: has Berkeley essentially made all of its offers? I read a few things about acceptances/waitlists already having happened, but the results page only listed one acceptance (and no rejections or waitlists). Am I using the search function incorrectly? Thank you. 

I've tried to go through this thread, but I was hoping someone could help me out: has Berkeley essentially made all of its offers? I read a few things about acceptances/waitlists already having happened, but the results page only listed one acceptance (and no rejections or waitlists). Am I using the search function incorrectly? Thank you. 

I don’t think anyone knows for sure, but I’m assuming they have based on their typical notification pattern. We’re all still hoping they haven’t finalized their decisions, but it’s likely that they have! 

Okay, thank you both so much. I realized I had been searching Berkeley Literature when the relevant search was Berkeley Rhetoric. (Which thankfully hasn't had any updates for 2014!)

Just wanted to make a quick note -- I'm applying to law school (and as such frequent the law school forums) and you guys here on this forum are much more helpful, supportive, and earnest as a group. It's so refreshing to see. 

So, I have been trying to look at my application status for NYU through the SMTS system, and each time I put my UID into the field, I get a 404.  Is that just me? Or should I just take it that I have probably been rejected?

NYU is a bit of a longshot for me, and so a rejection wouldn't bother me; though, I would like to see it for my own eyes.

So, I have been trying to look at my application status for NYU through the SMTS system, and each time I put my UID into the field, I get a 404. Is that just me? Or should I just take it that I have probably been rejected?

NYU is a bit of a longshot for me, and so a rejection wouldn't bother me; though, I would like to see it for my own eyes.

SMTS is for checking the status of your documents. Once they send decision e-mails, it'll update there to say they've been sent, but otherwise it won't really help with knowing whether you've been rejected or accepted.

I don't get a 404- not sure why that's happening to you. Either way, SMTS doesn't really say much except if they got your GRE scores.

I would hazard that they haven't finished contacting their accepted applicants yet, so I wouldn't fret about rejections. Only 3 people that we know of have heard back.

Edited by shortstack51

SMTS is for checking the status of your documents. Once they send decision e-mails, it'll update there to say they've been sent, but otherwise it won't really help with knowing whether you've been rejected or accepted.

I don't get a 404- not sure why that's happening to you. Either way, SMTS doesn't really say much except if they got your GRE scores.

I would hazard that they haven't finished contacting their accepted applicants yet, so I wouldn't fret about rejections. Only 3 people that we know of have heard back.

Thanks shortstack! Well, I guess I'll have to keep on waiting (just like the rest of us)

EDIT: Upon thinking about the 404, it could have to do with some sort of connection on their linux server (seems like it's running CentOS); one of their scripts couldn't be found, but oh well, in the end, that information doesn't matter too much.

Edited by merintil