Fall 2014 applicants??

I haven't received an email either way and my online app also says "decision pending." I guess I'll live in ignorant bliss until I hear something or break down in full anxiety mode and call, which ever comes first.

oh geez, i hadn't even realized there was a separate site for the decision status. i'm also still "pending" and haven't heard anything, but at least now i have a new website to refresh obsessively :)

Should I even bother calling Irvine at this point? Probably not... :(

Horb, I think you should still call, especially if you paid to have your scores sent. Perhaps they did receive your scores and just did not update their website. Call away! We all need any type of closure we can get during this time. Good luck! 

davidipse: Does anyone at the schools you applied to write about or teach Ashbery? I enjoy his poetry, but didn't see his name mentioned among faculty interests or publications at any of the schools I looked at.

davidipse: Does anyone at the schools you applied to write about or teach Ashbery? I enjoy his poetry, but didn't see his name mentioned among faculty interests or publications at any of the schools I looked at.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the school I'm doing my MA has you read Ashbery in theory courses and we have at least one professor who I think has done work on him. I also know of one other program that has you read him.

PM me if you'd like details

John Shoptaw, who teaches at Berkeley, wrote On the Outside Looking Out: John Ashbery's Poetry, which has blurbs from Harold Bloom and Charles Bernstein (who probably would disagree on everything else) identifying it as the foundational text for its subject. 

Charles Altieri, also at Berkeley, has written a number of articles on Ashbery. The only other critics I've read on Ashbery are Bloom (Yale), Helen Vendler (Harvard), and Stephen Burt (Harvard) but I'm sure there are more people writing on him.

Nice to find someone else interested in Ashbery—who else do you like to read?

Edited by davidipse

Yes I'm reading far too much into the augury of the results board, but my understanding is that if you haven't heard from UCLA that's a good sign. In 2012 they seemed to admit everyone first and then send out rejections. Last year no one got in on the first day they sent out decisions, only a couple people on the second day, but four people were accepted on the third day. Tomorrow marks the third day that they have sent out decisions this year.

Hold fast.

Edited by Romanista

Hey Horb-- they do a really bad job updating the web portal-- so they might have it. Please post how tomorrows call goes. It does seem like they accept everyone the same day, so I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, the PhD program in Composition and Cultural Rhetoric. The director sent everyone a kind email saying they hoped to make their decisions towards the end of February. Is that what you´ve applied for, or the English PhD?

My email from Steve Parks said they'd have decisions out at the end of January or early February. Weird.

Edited by turtlepower

Congrats to everyone on the acceptances! Today was a horrible day for me (as mentioned it before, but two rejections--and they were my first two decisions to report) but I'm currently drinking a beer, watching Gossip Girl, and lounging in flannel. 

Needless to say, we will all survive!

For that matter, can anyone who has applied to ASU shed some light on their acceptance and rejection process? I find it so odd that they have posted acceptances, rejections, and wait lists already, but I’ve heard nothing. Looking back over the years, they seem to report in rounds from early February to Mid-March, but I’ve never seen wait lists so early. I’m getting concerned.

It looks like this week has potentially wiped out 7 of my 14 schools. How is that for a shitty February? 

For that matter, can anyone who has applied to ASU shed some light on their acceptance and rejection process? I find it so odd that they have posted acceptances, rejections, and wait lists already, but I’ve heard nothing. Looking back over the years, they seem to report in rounds from early February to Mid-March, but I’ve never seen wait lists so early. I’m getting concerned.

It looks like this week has potentially wiped out 7 of my 14 schools. How is that for a shitty February? 

I would suggest you not read the tarot cards too deeply -- this thread has become exceedingly negative for reasons that aren't quite bulletproof. You're all great, you'll do fine. If not, you can either try again with what you have learned or you can thank your lucky stars you aren't digging yourself down the rabbit hole that is higher ed hiring.

If the person from ASU who was wait listed today is on this board, can you give us any info about what’s going on? 

That would be a friend of mine (she doesn't come around the forums much). I don't think she knows anything about their admission process/status, though.

In my experience, that kind of information isn't usually included in the acceptance/waitlist email or phone call. They migggggght mention the size of the admitted class, but that's about it in terms of information that would be useful to people around here.

Edited by gwarner13

My email from Steve Parks said they'd have decisions out at the end of January or early February. Weird.

Hm, a discrepancy...

I've checked again, just to make sure. Here is the cut and paste:

I wanted to write and say we received your application. Our current hope is to have our decisions made by the end of February. 

Received Jan 16, the day after the deadline. So, what are some likely reasons for the different dates?

• The date in my email is one month later than yours because the admissions committee needs extra time to count out  all the scholarship money they plan to award me.
  • My letter from Parks ends with "Sincerely," and yours with "LOL, Steve."
  • You applied to parallel-universe Syracuse, a renowned institution of higher learning with slightly more expeditious admissions procedures. Go Orange!

All I can really think is that the first couple of emails were overly optimistic. After all, making admissions decisions by the end of January would have required a two-week turnaround. If the results board is any guide, CCR has never sent out a decision before the third week of February.

Anyhow, best of luck and hope we both get in!

Well San Diego told me to screw off at 11 pm at night <_<

Didn't really want to go there anyhow. Truthfully only applied cause it is close to home, and that probably showed.

Oh well!

Do. Not. Base. Your. Self-worth. on. grad admissions.

^^^^^THIS^^^^ lots and lots of it!

I went into an MA program 10 years after my BA and that was after being told that my acceptance was unlikely. After being out in the "real world", paying bills, married then divorced, in various "careers" that were never that a good a fit for me just getting to this stage in the process feels like a victory. So many of you are so much younger and you've had the drive, the focus, and the HOPE to do this...well, it's sappy but I'm proud of you.  :) sometimes what seems like a dead end is more of a detour.  B)