Fall 2014 applicants??

re: "CCR has never sent out a decision before the third week of February"

More weirdness. When I look at the boards, I see acceptances in late Jan and early Feb.

How are you searching? I've just gone back and checked again under Syracuse English Comp CCR, etc. and the very earliest date reported ever was a rejection on 1 Feb. However, the poster didn't add the date until 4 March, so I think we can safely they meant to say 1 Mar instead. Everything else -- rejections, acceptances -- shows up in mid' to late Feb or early March.

Edited by Graditude

It is too bad is such an upsetting process. I'd pretty much given up on Irvine, and I wanted it so badly!! But the post about it perhaps being comp lit has started me up again. I don't know if that is good or bad. I'm very sorry for everyone with bad news. I'm sure I will be in that category shortly. It helps me to think that in a year or two this won't really even matter anymore-- I will laugh about it, because I ( as will Everyone) inevitably have to move on.

And I just read that some 70% of PhDs in the teaching fields are adjuncts that do not make a living wage. So maybe this agony will end up saving people from a lifetime of poverty.

How are you searching? I've just gone back and checked again under Syracuse English Comp CCR, etc. and the very earliest date reported ever was a rejection on 1 Feb. However, the poster didn't add the date until 4 March, so I think we can safely they meant to say 1 Mar instead. Everything else -- rejections, acceptances -- shows up in mid' to late Feb or early March.

English and CCR are separate departments. Try Syracuse Composition (not abbreviated).

Off-topic a bit, but I just had my phone interview for the Erasmus Mundus category A scholarship for the GEMMA (women's/gender studies) program. Apparently there are three people on the list, only one scholarship available, and I'm number two on that list. So, I'll only get it if the other person doesn't accept.

But like. Who in their right mind wouldn't accept that. I'm going to assume I am second best, once again (post-traumatic UChicago unfunded MAPH disorder?).

English and CCR are separate departments. Try Syracuse Composition (not abbreviated).

Yes, I see. But that's still only 13 results spread over several years, and includes the year when they didn't accept any new students because of the sudden change in directors and uncertainty about funding. So no reason to worry.

I think I've figured out what happened: your letter was based on the template they used for previous years, when they did notify people earlier. Later in the alphabet as they were emailing us they caught their mistake and put the right date, end of Feb. There's no other possibility, as the deadline for applying was 15 Jan.

I'm sticking to my plan about not giving Syracuse another thought until the end of February. At which point I will be happy to fret with all other applicants.

To perhaps alleviate some anxiety about the Irvine acceptance, it may have been for the Comp Lit rather than English program. I got a Comp Lit acceptance via email today and noted it as such.

Congrats! 

Off-topic a bit, but I just had my phone interview for the Erasmus Mundus category A scholarship for the GEMMA (women's/gender studies) program. Apparently there are three people on the list, only one scholarship available, and I'm number two on that list. So, I'll only get it if the other person doesn't accept.

But like. Who in their right mind wouldn't accept that. I'm going to assume I am second best, once again (post-traumatic UChicago unfunded MAPH disorder?).

I'll cross my fingers for ya!

Yes, I see. But that's still only 13 results spread over several years, and includes the year when they didn't accept any new students because of the sudden change in directors and uncertainty about funding. So no reason to worry.

I think I've figured out what happened: your letter was based on the template they used for previous years, when they did notify people earlier. Later in the alphabet as they were emailing us they caught their mistake and put the right date, end of Feb. There's no other possibility, as the deadline for applying was 15 Jan.

I'm sticking to my plan about not giving Syracuse another thought until the end of February. At which point I will be happy to fret with all other applicants.

Good call. My email came on 1/6, so I bet that's what happened.

Though, it's not unreasonable that they'd have a 2-3 week turnaround. They get < 40 apps a year.

Edited by turtlepower

Good call. My email came on 1/6, so I bet that's what happened.

Though, it's not unreasonable that they'd have a 2-3 week turnaround. They get < 40 apps a year.

When we both get accepted we will demand a clarification. Where else have you applied? I'm waiting on El Paso and ASU Phx.

I see a WSU result for MA. Curious...

Whoa, I had to double check, but you are right. I hope that doesn't mean I was rejected...

EDIT: grammar (just woke up)

Edited by merintil

Just broke down and emailed UC-Davis to confirm my rejection. I don’t know why I’m so anxious to have my dreams crushed, but I sure am. Haha. I even broke my own rule (never email departments) to do it. 

I guess I’m just sick of being in limbo; good or bad, I want to know. 

Just broke down and emailed UC-Davis to confirm my rejection. I don’t know why I’m so anxious to have my dreams crushed, but I sure am. Haha. I even broke my own rule (never email departments) to do it. 

Oh I'm so close to doing the exact same thing.

You need to put down the laptop and walk away until Monday. Srsly. You are breaking your own rules. What's next, assault?

Whoa, I had to double check, but you are right. I hope that doesn't mean I was rejected...

EDIT: grammar (just woke up)

Yeah, same. Yikes..I applied for the PhD program though. Last year they sent PhD acceptances in late February by postal. You could go back and check what they did last year for MAs (I would but I'm on my phone and expecting company!).

You need to put down the laptop and walk away until Monday. Srsly. You are breaking your own rules. What's next, assault?

The intermediary step is alcohol, but yes, violence is on the way. Haha. I’ve told myself that I’m signing off today at 2PM and not getting back on GradCafe until I have once acceptance and can relax. 

Please resist the urge to e-mail grad departments. We've just reached the first week of February. It may feel like 5 years in GC time, but it's just the beginning of the notification season. Unfortunately, not knowing is part of the process. But you never know what might come out on the other end, an offer for the PhD program or the MA program. Looking at that thread from another forum someone posted, I'd be wary about sending unnecessary e-mails with grad departments, especially when there's a good chance not everything has been decided yet. 

Just my $.02.

Yeah, same. Yikes..I applied for the PhD program though. Last year they sent PhD acceptances in late February by postal. You could go back and check what they did last year for MAs (I would but I'm on my phone and expecting company!).

Looks like most MA notices were sent out mid-February. I'll keep holding on to the hope that maybe I wasn't passed over!