Fall 2014 applicants??

I really wish that Departments would be more transparent and respond faster. I received an response TODAY about an email I sent in JANUARY asking if my third letter was received. The response from the DGS was: I have not received the letter, but our committee has already reviewed your file and you do not need to send it.

Great. If they have made a decision (which has to be a rejection) and they have notified other applicants about their status, why couldn't she just tell me straight out it was a rejection? My status on the website isn't updated, but I know they have communicated rejections over email in the past. It almost seems like I am on a wait list, but so low the decision isn't final.

Anybody else have feelings on evasive replies?

I will give a huge nod of "yes!" to the UK thing--I was going to have that as an option this year if I didn't get in anywhere, and I had two professors give it huge thumbs-up.  But like other-poster said, it is hella expensive, so that must be taken into account.  Maybe worth it though, if you can swing it.  England is my real birth place; I'm convinced of it.  I'm awkward and pale and love tea--I was meant to be British.

As for re-doing the process... at the end of the season, you're sick of it and you never want to look at it again.  But at least for me, come about August, the siren's song would start again, and I'd find myself grudgingly researching schools once again, because I couldn't *not* apply.  It's probably a sickness or something. :)

It might be different for you, but for me, I just had to keep reapplying.  Though I'm not convinced you'll need to; you're a pretty awesome scholar.  But if you do need to reapply, and you really want it, the self-administered kick in the pants will come for you when you need it most.

And there's nothing wrong with that.  I'd hazard a guess that at least half the people who apply need to do it at least twice.  So if the first round doesn't go well, don't let that make you feel like any less of an epic student.  Just continue being awesome, and eventually a school will pull its head out of its butt and realize what it was missing by not taking you, and then you'll have an awesome offer.

TL;DR: I sound like a children's program, but you're awesome; don't give up!

It sounds like you and are soul sisters. I’m currently drinking tea from my Union Jack mug. Haha.

The cost of UK programs is definitely what is holding me back. I actually was admitted to some UK programs for my MA and wanted to go desperately, but couldn’t scrounge up the funding, even though I was lucky enough to receive partial scholarships from a couple of places. I’m still heartbroken about it. I’ve avoided taking out student loans, but might do so next year if it comes to it.

And you’re right--academia IS addictive. Even as I say I can’t imagine doing this again, I’m making notes on how to improve my portfolio. Isn’t there a term for loving torture? Masochistic? 

Hi, I’m an academic masochist. *Hand shake* 

It sounds like you and are soul sisters. I’m currently drinking tea from my Union Jack mug. Haha.

The cost of UK programs is definitely what is holding me back. I actually was admitted to some UK programs for my MA and wanted to go desperately, but couldn’t scrounge up the funding, even though I was lucky enough to receive partial scholarships from a couple of places. I’m still heartbroken about it. I’ve avoided taking out student loans, but might do so next year if it comes to it.

And you’re right--academia IS addictive. Even as I say I can’t imagine doing this again, I’m making notes on how to improve my portfolio. Isn’t there a term for loving torture? Masochistic? 

I'm fairly certain academic masochist is redundant.  ;)

Kamisha,

Do you qualify for the Mitchell (Ireland), Rhodes, or Marshall scholarships? What about the Gates Cambridge?

Kamisha,

Do you qualify for the Mitchell (Ireland), Rhodes, or Marshall scholarships? What about the Gates Cambridge?

I probably could apply to all by the Mitchell scholarship, but I think the application deadlines have passed. I know Gates Cambridge is closed, but I’m not sure about Rhodes and Marshall. 

Why not do a distance MA from the UK? Most of the programs have summer intensive sessions when you can use the library and meet your dissertation supervisor. Nottingham, Sheffield and several other Russell Group unis have interesting MAs in various English disciplines from medieval lit to cognitive linguistics that take about 2 to 3 yrs to finish, depending on how many modules you sign up for at once. There's no difference on your diploma, and all your work is marked by the department and the external markers, just as if you were there. Are we allowed to put up links here?  

I probably could apply to all by the Mitchell scholarship, but I think the application deadlines have passed. I know Gates Cambridge is closed, but I’m not sure about Rhodes and Marshall. 

Rhodes and Marshall deadlines are in October. You could also apply for a fulbright to fund a masters, but you'd be applying this upcoming year for the year after. Also, congrats to you graduating debt free. I've not been nearly as lucky, but I highly recommend not taking on any debt regardless of how awesome a UK program would be. I also recommending going for a Fulbright. They care more about your project, whereas the Rhodes and Marshall care more about you as a person, and as my advisor said, unless you save a village somehow, you probably won't get one. Judging by who they pick, I'd say that is correct. 

Why not do a distance MA from the UK? Most of the programs have summer intensive sessions when you can use the library and meet your dissertation supervisor. Nottingham, Sheffield and several other Russell Group unis have interesting MAs in various English disciplines from medieval lit to cognitive linguistics that take about 2 to 3 yrs to finish, depending on how many modules you sign up for at once. There's no difference on your diploma, and all your work is marked by the department and the external markers, just as if you were there. Are we allowed to put up links here?  

For me, I think the appeal of doing a second Master’s in the UK (note: I am getting an MS not an MA. Sometimes I accidentally use those terms interchangeably) is that it’s only a year long and it’s a different cultural experience. They are phenomenal programs, but distance ed isn’t really my thing. I thrive in classroom environments. Also, I don’t really want to spend more time out of a PhD program than absolutely necessary. 

Rhodes and Marshall deadlines are in October. You could also apply for a fulbright to fund a masters, but you'd be applying this upcoming year for the year after. Also, congrats to you graduating debt free. I've not been nearly as lucky, but I highly recommend not taking on any debt regardless of how awesome a UK program would be. I also recommending going for a Fulbright. They care more about your project, whereas the Rhodes and Marshall care more about you as a person, and as my advisor said, unless you save a village somehow, you probably won't get one. Judging by who they pick, I'd say that is correct. 

I’ve never saved a village :(

New bucket list item? 

Edited by Kamisha

I only say that because I applied for them, spent 4 years preparing for the application, and didn't make it to the interview. The marshall takes 40 and the Rhodes 32, but that is out of the whole country, and if you look at stats, Harvard and Yale get about 5 each per scholarship (if not more). It is a hard application/process and you just need to be prepared is my point :)

I only say that because I applied for them, spent 4 years preparing for the application, and didn't make it to the interview. The marshall takes 40 and the Rhodes 32, but that is out of the whole country, and if you look at stats, Harvard and Yale get about 5 each per scholarship (if not more). It is a hard application/process and you just need to be prepared is my point :)

I totally what you’re saying. That’s crazy. 

Two questions:

1. Does anyone think UChicago is still notifying and following last year's pattern?

2. Is anyone else praying UVA calls them soon, because I really am...

So...I've been at the same status for several days now.  Two actual rejections, no glaringly implied ones right now.  I'm looking forward to the next 3-4 weeks.  I think, previously, I had this idea that most schools notify in the first three weeks of February, but more and more, I'm getting the sense that just as many places are last week of February and first week of March.  So I'm a bit relaxed now, thinking that it wouldn't be unusual if things are quiet for another two weeks.  

Hope everyone's holding up well against the agonizing wait.  

Two questions:

1. Does anyone think UChicago is still notifying and following last year's pattern?

2. Is anyone else praying UVA calls them soon, because I really am...

*Sadly, I've pretty much given up on Chicago :( Considering that the 4 acceptances appeared pretty quickly and judging by last year's pattern, I think chances are pretty slim. They don't even waitlist as far as I know, or do they?

Two 1 am Northeastern emails. That's probably not a good sign. Not ruling out hope, but starting to look unlikely.

Mikers, we have a lot of programs in common. Just thought I would point this out and tell you that you have impeccable taste.

FYI for UC-Riverside applicants: apparently all acceptance offers went out by today. Waitlisted applicants are to be notified individually.

Thanks, Kamisha! Appreciate the details, even if they are rough to hear!

Mikers, we have a lot of programs in common. Just thought I would point this out and tell you that you have impeccable taste.

Why thank you! Maybe we will both get into the same program and amplify the awesomeness of the department.

Edited by mikers86

Thanks, Kamisha! Appreciate the details, even if they are rough to hear!

Yeah, I haven’t heard anything either, so it sounds like are both in either Waitlist limbo or out of luck :( 

Here’s to hoping for waitlists!

For the record for anyone who is concerned: I didn’t call. A friend of mine is in the department and asked today. She relayed the info to me. 

Kamisha: take a look at UEA American Studies, they have funding explicitly for US students (one of the only places I know of that does this) and they have both the top film and media department in the UK and one of the top Am St dep'ts.

Edited by wreckofthehope

Kamisha: take a look at UEA American Studies, they have funding explicitly for US students (one of the only places I know of that does this) and they have both the top film and media department in the UK and one of the top Am St dep'ts.

This is so great to hear because I applied their MA in Film and Media Studies! Is it just the American Studies program that does the funding?

This is so great to hear because I applied their MA in Film and Media Studies! Is it just the American Studies program that does the funding?

I'm not certain...it's my impression that the funding is through Am St, but I could be wrong as I don't know the Film dep't too well (and there's a fair amount of crossover faculty-wise).

Edited by wreckofthehope

I'm not certain...it's my impression that the funding is through Am St, but I could be wrong as I don't know the Film dep't too well (and there's a fair amount of crossover faculty-wise).

Maybe I’ll contact them and see about applying for their American Studies program, as well. Thanks for the info!