Fall 2014 applicants??

No acceptances yet, but I thought I’d share some positive vibes (even at the risk of veering into sickening sentiment):

To be certain, this is a anxiety-producing, sleep-losing, self-esteem destroying, and emotionally wrecking process. I’ve said on here a couple of times that I just don’t know if I could do this again if I don’t get accepted. That being said, however, this afternoon I had my moment of clarity and comprehension.

I'd sulked up to campus feeling the pains of yet another implied rejection. I didn’t want to see anyone, I didn’t want to talk to anyone, and I most certainly didn’t want to put on a brave face for a group of college sophomores who just wouldn’t understand why their teacher hadn’t been as “zippy” as of late. But I went to class anyway and I smiled and I started in on a new lesson that I’d never taught before--and my students responded. They loved it. We laughed, we debated, and we learned. I realized that I feel more at home and more like myself in the classroom than I do in any other context. I walked out of that room smiling because my students were smiling and because I was genuinely happy over something so silly as an effective lesson plan.

And now, in this moment, I couldn’t care less that I may never become a tenure-track faculty member or that I might have to spend another $3000K applying to PhD programs next year. It just doesn’t matter because even though I’m a lowly Master’s student who didn’t get into Berkeley or Duke or maybe anywhere else this year, I still get to wake up every single day and do what I love.

For that reason, all of this temporary agony is so, so worth it. 

:)

There is nothing like a good teaching high!! I taught middle school and high school for a few years before going back to school full time for my MA. I loved being a TA for my department (at least the teaching parts) and miss having students to work with. Right now it's just application/thesis hell. I'm glad your students provided you with some perspective, they're good at that. I swear my students saved my life when I was going through my divorce. I don't know what I would have done without knowing that I had to get up everyday and be a fairly together person for their sakes.

There is nothing like a good teaching high!! I taught middle school and high school for a few years before going back to school full time for my MA. I loved being a TA for my department (at least the teaching parts) and miss having students to work with. Right now it's just application/thesis hell. I'm glad your students provided you with some perspective, they're good at that. I swear my students saved my life when I was going through my divorce. I don't know what I would have done without knowing that I had to get up everyday and be a fairly together person for their sakes.

I love teaching high as well.

If anyone else applied to Tufts you may not get an email. I just checked my status on the website and it had changed but there was no notification. Now I'm going to try to go work out the rejection angst at the gym instead of eating my feelings. Sigh...

So sorry to hear that! Sending positive vibes your way!

Where did you see your status had changed? I logged into the site, and mine still just says "submitted," but their website confuses me a bit, so I wanted to make sure I'm checking in the correct place.

I know. And historically it looks like the rejections are spread out over days.

Haha isn't that lovely? Texas is a long shot for me anyway (subject score was, uh, less than desirable). I guess we'll see. Good luck to you Mikers!

Hmmm... If I type in "English Minnesota," there are a bunch of recent waitlists, but then back around January 31st- February 8th there are 5 acceptances. And I see 3 rejections scattered throughout. (Looks like I did overstate the number of rejections by accident, sorry about that!) But yeah, I'm seeing all three types of results scattered over nearly 2 weeks now. 

Oh, I guess I just missed those early acceptances. oops! 

I, personally, believe the rivalry is a little overrated and over emphasized.

I think that all rivalries are silly. 

Because knowing school rivalries makes so much difference in my academic endeavors...

I was just trying to give you a heads up that you'd get eaten alive if you got into U of M and accidentally called it MSU. There are some pretty big differences between the two departments of English as well. That's all. 

So sorry tsaying to check thatar that! Sending positive vibes your way!

Where did you see your status had changed? I logged into the site, and mine still just says "submitted," but their website confuses me a bit, so I wanted to make sure I'm checking in the correct place.

They sent me an email with a new password and user name a couple of days ago saying that's where the decision would be when it was finalized. There's a section there that says "your decision will be here when available" or something and today mine had a link that said "click here to view your decision"

On the plus side workout endorphins mean I'm going to move on with my life. After all I still have 17 schools I haven't heard from...

They sent me an email with a new password and user name a couple of days ago saying that's where the decision would be when it was finalized. There's a section there that says "your decision will be here when available" or something and today mine had a link that said "click here to view your decision"

On the plus side workout endorphins mean I'm going to move on with my life. After all I still have 17 schools I haven't heard from...

Envious that you still have 17 schools left. I initially applied to 14 and am assuming rejection on 7 thus far. 

Also, the dog in your profile picture is stinking adorable. I want. 

Seventeen schools sound divine. I applied to 12 and have heard back from 3. An acceptance came for me yesterday which helped my two-rejection streak, but I'm just ready to hear back from them all already. Even if they're all rejections. 

I bet most people here are on the same page. 

Yeah. I mean, I only applied to six schools, and I've got one acceptance and one clear rejection. But there's another school that started contacting people last week that I haven't heard anything from yet, so I'm thinking that'll probably be another rejection. I also saw one post up today from one other school that I applied to, but there's only been that one post, so I don't know what's going on there. The last two schools I applied to had later application dates, so I imagine it might still be a while before I hear from them.

Hmm I never received an email like that... Wonder what's up with that.

And I'm sure you'll have your choice of other schools! You were definitely smart to apply to so many.

Edited by jaymarais

Envious that you still have 17 schools left. I initially applied to 14 and am assuming rejection on 7 thus far. 

Also, the dog in your profile picture is stinking adorable. I want. 

Haha thanks! She's a little monster but she makes up for it by being cute. Corgis are fun dogs but she runs this house. Even bullies the hell out of our huge German Shepherd.

Having 17 left is nice yeah, but it definitely means my letter writers wouldn't be excited about doing this again next year....

Hmm I never received an email like that... Wonder what's up with that.

And I'm sure you'll have your choice of other schools! You were definitely smart to apply to so many.

Hopefully that means someone will be calling you to tell you that you're in instead! :) I believe in you!

Why would a department send out 2 or 3 acceptances, then wait more than a week to finalize decisions and notify all other applicants? Shouldn't they know by now who is in and who is out, since they've already decided to accept a couple applicants? I don't know if I should think positively about Northwestern (comp lit) being that late after sending out 2 acceptances last week. I e-mailed them and they said they'll be sending out final decisions by the end of this week. They also thanked me for my patience :huh:  

I know. And historically it looks like the rejections are spread out over days. 

But in theory, all the acceptances come in one day.  So even if the rejections are spread out (which is evil who does that), after that one day we should know whether we are accepted or not.

Then there's the fresh hell of the waitlist, but let's cross that lake of fire if we're fortunate enough to come to it.

Also bummed--there are only a few results, but looks like WUSTL is a no-go...I wonder if they'll do Valentine's day rejections again.  That was an added bonus to that "lovely" holiday last year.

Sorry to obsess, but I'm really confused about the UMass notifications. The last two years, people were notified via e-mail or phone that they were being selected for interviews for funding first, then came acceptances, then rejections. No one ever said they found out via website, unless maybe no one thought to check. Did everyone else fill out that separate packet for funding that they made you mail in?

Also, another question: When I applied a couple of years ago, one of the schools I applied to (and the school I ended up getting accepted to) said I needed to have submitted my FAFSA to them to be considered for funding. Is this something that programs expect? I haven't done my FAFSA yet because one of my W-2s got mailed to an old address and I haven't been able to get my hands on it, so I have no idea what my income was this past year and I haven't filed taxes. Does not doing your FAFSA affect you? I got turned down for funding at my MA program, and I found out several months later that they had never received my FAFSA due to an administrative error on their end that took weeks to figure out. I was told by one graduate student association or another that my funding did not depend on the FAFSA at all and was purely in the department. Yet, it said on the application that they needed my FAFSA, so to this day I'm confused.

Edited by shortstack51

Sorry to obsess, but I'm really confused about the UMass notifications. The last two years, people were notified via e-mail or phone that they were being selected for interviews for funding first, then came acceptances, then rejections. No one ever said they found out via website, unless maybe no one thought to check. Did everyone else fill out that separate packet for funding that they made you mail in?

Also, another question: When I applied a couple of years ago, one of the schools I applied to (and the school I ended up getting accepted to) said I needed to have submitted my FAFSA to them to be considered for funding. Is this something that programs expect? I haven't done my FAFSA yet because one of my W-2s got mailed to an old address and I haven't been able to get my hands on it, so I have no idea what my income was this past year and I haven't filed taxes. Does not doing your FAFSA affect you? I got turned down for funding at my MA program, and I found out several months later that they had never received my FAFSA due to an administrative error on their end that took weeks to figure out. I was told by one graduate student association or another that my funding did not depend on the FAFSA at all and was purely in the department. Yet, it said on the application that they needed my FAFSA, so to this day I'm confused.

With UMass: People are logging on to spire. For funding, you need an interview with the writing center people (generally). So people are finding out they've been accepted without funding but with the potential.