Fall 2014 applicants??

Hey guys,

I have some news for UChicago hopefuls. I just called their English Grad Admissions staff (and there are some very lovely, very polite folks over there, by the way).

Having seen the four admits posted on our forums, I asked them if they had contacted all admits. They informed me that not all decisions have been made, and that they're contacting admits and rejections as decisions are made. More specifically, they told me that they're evaluating "groups" of applications and sending out decisions when they finish a group.

TL;DR?

If you haven't heard from Chicago yet, don't give up hope!  :)

Bravo! You've done my psychological state a great service. Thank you.

Hey guys,

I have some news for UChicago hopefuls. I just called their English Grad Admissions staff (and there are some very lovely, very polite folks over there, by the way).

Having seen the four admits posted on our forums, I asked them if they had contacted all admits. They informed me that not all decisions have been made, and that they're contacting admits and rejections as decisions are made. More specifically, they told me that they're evaluating "groups" of applications and sending out decisions when they finish a group.

TL;DR?

If you haven't heard from Chicago yet, don't give up hope!  :)

You are my new favorite person. :) Made my day.

That would be nice. But who knows how these things really work? I'm sorry about your rejection though!

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you. :)

And honestly, it's probably for the best.  It's a fantastic school, but I practically live in Canada... I'd probably melt and die in Texas.

You are my new favorite person. :) Made my day.

Omg I down voted by accident and it won't let me undown vote. I'm so sorry! I was trying to up vote and have lArge fingers and a tiny phone. You are my favorite I'm sorry!

Omg I down voted by accident and it won't let me undown vote. I'm so sorry! I was trying to up vote and have lArge fingers and a tiny phone. You are my favorite I'm sorry!

I upvoted to help right the wrong for you.

I guess that's what I get for having favorites? lol ;)

Hey guys,

TL;DR?

If you haven't heard from Chicago yet, don't give up hope! :)

Gatsby, thank you so much for bringing some actual data to the conversation! This is much more alleviating than the typical hypothesizing and worrying that I know I am guilty of as well. I commented last night on UChicago's notification pattern from last year, trying to make sense of those four notifications, but it got lost a few pages ago in a flame war...

I'll be sure to update here if I learn anything else as well! Good to know the administrators are helpful and receptive to questions. People who are worrying about other schools should give this approach a try as well :)

...so anyway.

How is everyone handling the anxiety?

ACK!! not well...spent the whole of last night dreaming about getting rejected from schools. then thought i woke up to an acceptance from my top choice....only to really wake up and realize it was a dream. 

Ps: this storm will probably delay notice from east coast schools

oy....wish I had seen this earlier. duh. another day of needless stressing. i'm so glad i have this site to come and waste time on when i can't worry, think, or revise my thesis anymore. :)

What is your magic secret of acceptance?! The gods have looked favorably upon you, it seems.

Hey despejado,

No collegiate prestige here and just good enough GRE scores (in the 90s for Verbal & Writing and 50s for the dreaded math). Strong SOP, LORs, and WS. No world famous scholars vouching for me. 

My project is something few people have talked about. I think I have been lucky b/c luck clearly plays a primary role in the grad admissions process. But the strong written aspects of my application and project don't hurt, no doubt.

Hey despejado,

No collegiate prestige here and just good enough GRE scores (in the 90s for Verbal & Writing and 50s for the dreaded math). Strong SOP, LORs, and WS. No world famous scholars vouching for me.

My project is something few people have talked about. I think I have been lucky b/c luck clearly plays a primary role in the grad admissions process. But the strong written aspects of my application and project don't hurt, no doubt.

Well congratulations! :) looks like you're going to have your pick of programs. Totally envious.

Got my official umass rejection. Sigh. That makes 4 so far (haven't receive my official rejection from BC or NYU but I know they're coming.) Makes me nervous for everything else.

I can't remember shortstack, have you been extended an offer of acceptance this go 'round? I still haven't, so I can totally relate to the elevated nerves about every other school that hasn't notified yet. Definitely a shitty feeling.

No worries! I'm just happy the information's out there. I know I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I found out, so I'm very glad to have shared that feeling with you, too!

ACK!! not well...spent the whole of last night dreaming about getting rejected from schools. then thought i woke up to an acceptance from my top choice....only to really wake up and realize it was a dream. 

My worst anxiety dream of this season so far: after I get rejected from my top choice, my girlfriend (who, by the way, has absolutely no interest in applying to PhD programs) gets in instead, and then dumps me and moves out there. Even worse than the dream I had about the NYU admissions committee rolling around in laughter after reading my app. Having an overactive unconscious sucks...  :wacko:

I've not had situational dreams about Ph.D. admissions, but I've now officially had an email dream in which I see my inbox with a notification. It was vague in terms of which school and the content of the message, but still, I'm dreaming about the notification thing!

I'm looking forward to the next two weeks because I think they'll be the busiest yet for notifications. We're moving past half time and into the third and fourth quarters...

I've never been so impatient before....

I can't remember shortstack, have you been extended an offer of acceptance this go 'round? I still haven't, so I can totally relate to the elevated nerves about every other school that hasn't notified yet. Definitely a shitty feeling.

This is exactly how I've been feeling. Even if I only get one acceptance, it will do wonders for my anxiety.

Not yet! Still waiting. It is a shitty feeling. Just one acceptance would help. I've started obsessing over alternative possibilities.

Not yet! Still waiting. It is a shitty feeling. Just one acceptance would help. I've started obsessing over alternative possibilities.

Me too, me too. Villanova has a funded MA you might wanna take a look at. So does Cal State Fullerton.. Both deadlines are March 1. Hopefully that's not what it comes to for either of us, but it's good to have options. Also good to have someone in the same boat, regardless of shittiness.