Fall 2014 applicants??

Uh... Anybody else see the York University post on the boards?

Yeah...made me wish I could reach out and "touch" someone....lovingly...with a metal chair.

Then I took note of the email address and figured attention was the point. I like Bowties way of picking an enemy better.

Yeah...made me wish I could reach out and "touch" someone....lovingly...with a metal chair.

Then I took note of the email address and figured attention was the point. I like Bowties way of picking an enemy better.

Haha yes, Bowtie's methods were/are far more endearing. Algernon, I also reported it as spam... With an equal amount of discomfort. It sounds a bit like RedFlight from earlier, equally offensive posts about female body parts, but who knows.

In the blue corner, straightening his bow tie- BowTiesAreCool! "Hello there"

Hailing from the planet Gailifry, BowTies is the last of the time lords. He wields a keen wit, a child-like curiosity, and an upgraded sonic-screwdriver. 

"And a banana"

I'm gonna sonic-y wonik-y your lights out! 

You win. Everything.

Now go put up some cabinets.

ETA: Agh you have to stop with the Who references--I'm going to run out of up-votes just on you.  I feel like I have to use them sparingly now.

...is it September yet?

Edited by Katia_chan

I'm feeling a little blah about it as I have nine schools left to go. It's a weird feeling, being accepted somewhere and then getting greedy and thinking about all the "better" programs you applied to. I wonder if I'm alone in this? 

You're not alone.  I don't necessarily think about the "better" ones, but I did have one or two near and dear to my heart, for faculty, or location.  And I still get bummed about rejections, even with an acceptance.  So you're totally in good company.

But, and I'm hoping this will be true for you too, every time I start getting meh about things, I'll get an Email or something from the DGS, (we have a visit weekend coming up next weekend), and he is so freaking nice, and it makes me excited.  That's helping a lot--I'm fairly sure I've been rejected from Austin, Boston, Missouri, and WUSTL this week, but the more cool things that come from St. Louis, the happier I remain.  So hopefully once you get in contact with your program, you will get more excited about it.

And hopefully you do have more to choose from. You're pretty awesome, so you should. :)

Just a note--I do think it's very strange that CMU acceptances for their MA program seem to have gone out whereas their PhD ones seem to have not...

I will add, in my MA acceptance (applied for the PhD, accepted to MA only) they said that they could only admit 3 of about 150 applicants. I know other applicants sometimes want to see tidbits of information like this, so I thought I would share.

Eff. You heard back from CM already? Their app deadline was just 2 weeks ago for Rhetoric AND Cultural Studies. (I applied for their MA Rhetoric.) Aw shit. Here go the stress and tears.

I was astounded they were as quick as they were...I assumed when I saw the email they were missing some materials or something. Good luck though, I've only seen one other acceptance on the board and it was for lit culture studies too. Maybe rhetoric is later?

I was accepted to the Carnegie Mellon MA program! Applied to PhD, but I'm happy to have an acceptance somewhere!

YAY! I'm coming out of a MA program as well. It seems most people want to go straight to the PhD but I'm actually kind of glad I had the twists and turns I did on this journey. I'm grateful for the experiences I've had as a master's student. I'm lucky to be a part of a magnificent cohort and I have super supportive professors even though my program is no where as prestigious as CM. :)

YAY! I'm coming out of a MA program as well. It seems most people want to go straight to the PhD but I'm actually kind of glad I had the twists and turns I did on this journey. I'm grateful for the experiences I've had as a master's student. I'm lucky to be a part of a magnificent cohort and I have super supportive professors even though my program is no where as prestigious as CM. :)

One of the things I'm wondering about though, specifically regarding CMU's MA program, is that, based on their webpage for the program, is that it seems to be primarily aimed toward students who only want their MA to "augment their BA" (is close to what the webpage says) or for teaching secondary school or community college. There is very little enticement for students who definitely do want to go on to earn their PhD, which is kind of disappointing.

I'm hoping I get another acceptance or two, if only to MA programs, so that I can figure out which programs seem to have the best placement rates in PhD programs. Of course, I will happily take CMU's offer if it seems like the best fit in the end. The work that a few of their current MA students are doing does seem to fit with my interests.

Also, seconding igetstuffdunn's shock that we've heard from them so soon.

Haha, I actually mean Horb, according to NYU~

But good to know that u re also German~ lived in Germany for five years and def. interested in German literature. No peep from NYU Syracuse or Cornell..... Still awfully waiting!!!!

Haha. Someone who knows my favorite town!!! Um I'm just gonna wait for the rejection but calling would be so tempting.

Ya, I don't get why people think that going straight to the PhD is all that big of an advantage. Yes, you usually wind up knocking a year off your total time, but at the same time you are making a pretty major commitment without a clear "out" if you realize that you are on the wrong path. Maybe I misunderstood my applications, but 90% of the programs I considered were very specific that they will not consider BA/BS applicants directly for the PhD. (I'm aware that there are drawbacks to being an MA in a PhD providing program, like funding allocation,)

As for getting jobs, I'm not sure that not having the MA is an advantage either. In two years (or ideally, about 15 months), I'm going to have a marketable degree, a better resume to get fellowships and funding, a few publications and some additional presentations when I hit the PhD market. At that time, I may opt to stay where I am (I've made it clear in my SOP that I'm planning to pursue a PhD) but I can also seek out new opportunities, new connections and new research avenues, all of which will make me a better candidate for tenure. Hell, two years of writing center or teaching work may mean that I can get some paid teaching work while still working on my PhD (assuming that I'm in a market that supports it).

Haha. Someone who knows my favorite town!!! Um I'm just gonna wait for the rejection but calling would be so tempting.

Me too~~~ Cornell did only notified the English phd acceptances I guess, but according to the board, it should be come out this weekend. So stressed.....what other places did u apply? I don't know why they can't send rejections if they have a wait list.

I will add, in my MA acceptance (applied for the PhD, accepted to MA only) they said that they could only admit 3 of about 150 applicants. I know other applicants sometimes want to see tidbits of information like this, so I thought I would share.

Fan-bloody-tastic. Welp, there goes my first rejection then of the season. 

Weeeee first acceptance (I thought it would never come!!!). Carnegie Mellon's MA in Literary and Cultural Studies. I've been sort of in love with the idea of this program, but if anyone has any specific info/advice about it, I'd love to hear from you. 

Holy shit, I got accepted to Brown and Cornell today. This is the best Valentine's day ever...

Got accepted to Cornell. Can't believe it.

Me too!!!

Just got an acceptance from Bowling Green (American Culture Studies)

:D

BOULLLLLDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR

Congratulations all around! 

kermit-the-frog-flail.gif

I am happy I got my MA first because I was a dummy dumbhead before I went through my MA program and afterwards I was slightly less dumb.

This. I was in a small, education-focused cohort as an undergrad and being in an MA, where class sizes are 8 people and half of those people are PhD students, has made me a lot more versatile as a scholar.

Wow...a Stanford MTL acceptance! Anyone wanna claim it?

Not claiming it, no! But I did want to say this is why I love these boards...I had no idea about this program at Stanford (had always just visited their English department website), and now I am kind of drooling over it.

Anyone know of a thread somewhere that catalogs this sort of interdisciplinary program? I'm doing my searches and not seeing it, sorry if it's out there and I'm missing it. Or I could start a thread designed to compile a rough list? Lemme know your thoughts.

Not claiming it, no! But I did want to say this is why I love these boards...I had no idea about this program at Stanford (had always just visited their English department website), and now I am kind of drooling over it.

Anyone know of a thread somewhere that catalogs this sort of interdisciplinary program? I'm doing my searches and not seeing it, sorry if it's out there and I'm missing it. Or I could start a thread designed to compile a rough list? Lemme know your thoughts.

Agreed. I wish I had known that existed.

Stanford's Modern Thought and Literature is a phenomenal program, but is highly, highly, highly competitive. They typically only admit 3 students per cycle. I know of students who are top candidates, and have been accepted into top programs, not even make into the final round of cuts. This isn't to discourage anyone from applying, but simply to highlight the work that one should put into their application to MTL.

Off the top of my head:

Stanford MTL

Berkeley Rhetoric

University of Minnesota: Comparative Studies in Discourse and Society

UC Santa Cruz: History of Consciousness

Brown University: Modern Culture and Media

Ohio State:  Comparative Studies 

University of Chicago: Social Thought 

Duke: Literature