Fall 2014 applicants??

Hey, @German applicant, I emailed the coordinator a week ago but no reply. Should I try DGS?

Was denkst du? Finde es wirklich unmöglich...

I'm not sure if you mean me ;) but if you do, I usually fall on the side of don't bother the DGS, it won't make things go faster--except when people actually do, as with calling Chicago, and find out good info. It's hypocritical, I know ;) So, as for your question goes, ich finds auch unmöglich, but well...

Good luck!! And try not to stress! When universities start calling, it usually takes a couple of days because it takes more organizing on the adcomm's end.

Thank you!!! And thank you for the heads up, I definitely need some calming down. My nerves went to totally on edge when I saw the phone call go up on the boards haha. 

Weeeee first acceptance (I thought it would never come!!!). Carnegie Mellon's MA in Literary and Cultural Studies. I've been sort of in love with the idea of this program, but if anyone has any specific info/advice about it, I'd love to hear from you. 

Wow! Congratulations to all the Brown/Cornell acceptances! I didn't apply to either, but I just wanted to say that I'm super excited for you guys. 

I don't know if I'm feeling extra mushy today because it's Valentine's day or because it's a good distraction from actually working, but I just wanted to say that I'm sincerely so happy for everyone who has been accepted to programs that they love thus far and thankful to those people who have been and continue to be positive resources and "cheerleaders" on this forum. Speaking from my own experience, it's totally devastating to be turned down by a school you applied to (especially if you loved it) and it's hard to be happy for others sometimes, but I'm so impressed by everyone's supportive attitude toward each other--it reminds me that academia, at the end of the day, is a community and a fantastic one at that. 

Cheers, all. Eat a ton of chocolate today. You know I will.

Was that acceptance you, Fiz?

Huh. Nah i dont post on the results page. Someone else.

I dont want it though. I aint fuckin teachin 2 classes a semester and not having full health coverage. Fuckin pass on that shit.

I've heard teaching a 2-2 or a 2-1 load is pretty normal--is that not true?

Idk if it is. But i dont have to teach at urbana for two years. And its cheaper to live in. And they pay more. And i like it better. Pshh pshh. No contest.

Oh no, I totally agree that you should go where the best offer is and where you'd be happiest, I was just commenting on teaching load in general. 

I haven't received the official paperwork for my first acceptance (nor the phone call I was supposedly going to get this week as it was communicated to me via email), but it looks like, historically, the institution that accepted me usually does a 2-1 yearly load. My assistantship is between 15-20k with full medical, dental, and vision. It's also in a very inexpensive area. I'm excited about it because it is an acceptance and there are two scholars I would be happy to work with at the university, plus their tenure placement looks good--about nine people in the last three years are tenure track, the rest have visiting professor gigs--but I'm feeling a little blah about it as I have nine schools left to go. It's a weird feeling, being accepted somewhere and then getting greedy and thinking about all the "better" programs you applied to. I wonder if I'm alone in this?