Fall 2014 applicants??

Dear Miami (Ohio),

It looks like you're starting to notify people.

I know I didn't treat you like you were my one and only but I'm a changed man.  That pretty little program in the south meant nothing to me - pipe dreams! You're the place for me.

Please consider giving me a chance to prove it to you.

Thank you,
BTAC

Don’t let it get you down. Like you said, you still have four schools to hear from. And, if worse comes to worse this year, you’ve got eight wonderful months to revise your packet and resubmit. Based on what you’ve mentioned about your qualifications, I have no doubt you’ll find success somewhere wonderful, whether that be this year or next year :)

Though I still have a chance at five or six schools and am lucky enough to have one acceptance (finally!), I actually am going to reapply in August no matter what. Based on the advice I received from the Directors’ of Graduate study at the universities where I’ve been rejected thus far (they are usually very kind in giving you pointers on your application if you email them after receiving your rejection), I’m going to revise and reapply to a few of the same programs and quite a few different programs that I hadn’t even thought of before.

I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. If you don’t get admitted this year, it is because you are supposed to have this year to do something else and then start your PhD next year.

...This is totally up to you, and you know what's best for you.  But as a multiple-time reapplicant...

Don't decide to pass on a program without visiting/talking to the faculty/...whatever just because you think you could improve your application.

Please please please don't let dissatisfaction with your application make you throw away acceptances.  You seem pretty focussed and driven; I have a hard time imagining you applying to six schools you couldn't see yourself attending.  Count up your acceptances, check each one out, and evaluate.  Once you're in somewhere, the application *does not* matter one flying fig.  You can blow everyone out of the water with your scholarship and research; no one cares about your app after you get in.

...I'm sorry, this isn't any of my business.  But I'm just begging you to take a long and hard look at wherever you get accepted, and *know* that you couldn't be happy there before turning it down.  Because, even with a better app, this thing is still a crapshoot.  You might end up in the same boat next year.  Sometimes you end up at a program you could have never predicted, and it wasn't where you wanted to end up, but it was where you needed to end up.

Anyway, I'm done now.  I hope I haven't offended you or anything.  Not my intention at all.  I just know how things start to look around the middle of February.

...This is totally up to you, and you know what's best for you.  But as a multiple-time reapplicant...

Don't decide to pass on a program without visiting/talking to the faculty/...whatever just because you think you could improve your application.

Please please please don't let dissatisfaction with your application make you throw away acceptances.  You seem pretty focussed and driven; I have a hard time imagining you applying to six schools you couldn't see yourself attending.  Count up your acceptances, check each one out, and evaluate.  Once you're in somewhere, the application *does not* matter one flying fig.  You can blow everyone out of the water with your scholarship and research; no one cares about your app after you get in.

...I'm sorry, this isn't any of my business.  But I'm just begging you to take a long and hard look at wherever you get accepted, and *know* that you couldn't be happy there before turning it down.  Because, even with a better app, this thing is still a crapshoot.  You might end up in the same boat next year.  Sometimes you end up at a program you could have never predicted, and it wasn't where you wanted to end up, but it was where you needed to end up.

Anyway, I'm done now.  I hope I haven't offended you or anything.  Not my intention at all.  I just know how things start to look around the middle of February.

I totally see what you’re saying here and I’m not at all offended. This is sound advice and I promise that I won’t be making any rash decisions!

Thanks for weighing in--I appreciate it. I’d up vote your post, but GradCafe seems to have a limit on positivity ;) 

Seriously, where are the Vanderbilt rejections?!

I emailed Vanderbilt and got the most lovely and wonderful email back from Dr. Wollaeger. His reply was nine paragraphs long (wow!) and very complementary. He thanked me for taking the initiative to send the email and learn more about their process (I specifically asked him what I might do to become a more competitive applicant in the future.

For those Vanderbilt applicants who are curious, all admits and wait list notifications have been sent out. Here is a short excerpt from the email I received back:

"Some brief background:  we reviewed about 350 applications to our PhD program this spring.  We're planning to enroll 8 new students in 2014-15...Our pool was exceptionally strong this year, which meant that the final decision often came to down to fit with our program..."

I’ve omitted the info about my application, which is where you see ellipses. I hope this is informative/helpful to those individuals waiting to hear back. 

Yes there is a chance! they have 21 spots and last year they made 39 offers, which means 18 people rejected their offers of admissions (roughly). I wager that that gives me decent odds of getting in, depending on where I am on their wait list. I am feeling optimistic, though maybe I shouldn't, haha.

Edited by shortstack51

Whoo! Just got wait listed at CUNY. At least I haven't been rejected from everywhere! Hoping I get in!

Mega super mojo-luck-best-wishes to you!

edit: ack!! typos!

Edited by Nyctophile

I could use some of those myself. 

I'm putting out the vibes people, putting out the vibes....seriously, I have been so lucky and I am so impressed with you all, I'm way more eager for your good news than I am for mine at this point!!

You already have those from me , despejado! :D My thoughts seem to be out of order though, because they are not working for me.

Mine aren't working for me either! Maybe they will work for each other :D