Yeah, with a 1/2 TAship at UMD, even M.A. students can get the faculty health care plan for something like $30 per month. I don't think it's that uncommon overall.

ETA: Oops...didn't see that ProfLorax posted pretty much the same thing.

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

• 1 month later...
  • rising_star unpinned this topic
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Does anyone have time to explain what sort of additional fellowships there could be out there on top of what your school already guarantees? I’m a noob. How does it work looking for money? I can probably look in the other sections, but well :lol:

16 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Does anyone have time to explain what sort of additional fellowships there could be out there on top of what your school already guarantees? I’m a noob. How does it work looking for money? I can probably look in the other sections, but well :lol:

It seems to vary a lot by school. Some schools are adamant that every student receive the same financial aid package. Some are very explicit and transparent about the ways in which they offer additional funding for specific candidates. The remaining schools are somewhere in between, where they do not mention additional funding sources publicly but do have them. The way to tell (or at least how I have done it!) is to start by reading the department's and graduate school's funding pages and then ask graduate students and faculty members about it. Schools understand that graduate stipends are not a whole lot of money, and in my experience, as long as you are polite, they are happy to have frank conversations with you.

Money is a big deal, and graduate programs know that. It sometimes feels like you may have won the lottery by simply getting into a graduate program with funding. But you can and you should still ask for as much clarity as possible. Five to six years is a huge commitment, and you need to know how you would make it work.

Edited by bpilgrim89

2 hours ago, bpilgrim89 said:

It seems to vary a lot by school. Some schools are adamant that every student receive the same financial aid package. Some are very explicit and transparent about the ways in which they offer additional funding for specific candidates. The remaining schools are somewhere in between, where they do not mention additional funding sources publicly but do have them. The way to tell (or at least how I have done it!) is to start by reading the department's and graduate school's funding pages and then ask graduate students and faculty members about it. Schools understand that graduate stipends are not a whole lot of money, and in my experience, as long as you are polite, they are happy to have frank conversations with you.

Money is a big deal, and graduate programs know that. It sometimes feels like you may have won the lottery by simply getting into a graduate program with funding. But you can and you should still ask for as much clarity as possible. Five to six years is a huge commitment, and you need to know how you would make it work.

Good advice, thank you! I think in my case all years are guaranteed, but I need to make sure. Even if they're guaranteed, do you still have to apply every year?

I also saw a Ph.D.'s CV once, and they have a ton of grants/fellowships listed on there. So those are additional stuff I guess? How much money can you get?! haha