business cards?

iowaguy

Anyone have business cards as a grad student?  If so, what "title" do you put on your card?

The book "Getting What You Came For" recommends business cards for grad students, just curious what y'alls thoughts were and if this is indeed a "necessity" or not...  Thanks in advance!

I think these would be good to have for conferences. I know a few grad students who have made up business cards to hand out to people that they meet there. It's a great way to get your name/contact information out there to potential collaborators and other colleagues, and a tangible item like a business card will keep your name fresh in their minds after the conference is over.

I don't know what title one would use, though. I'd imagine that some combination of "doctoral student/candidate" (depending on your status) and your department would suffice. You could also add your anticipated graduation date if you'd like. For instance:

Iowa Guy

Doctoral Student '18

Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Somewhere

If you have a fancy named fellowship, you could include that as part of your title too.

Wow, I hadn't thought of this. I've had a card holder with business cards in my purse for years, and it will be weird to not have them in grad school.

I think in general, people use "PhD Student" until they meet their school's/department's candidacy requirements then they would use "PhD Candidate" (or you can continue using student). I'd use what Zabius wrote but probably also include my email and research website (I'd make this the most prominent part). If you want to save space, you could consider getting rid of the school name in favour of a school logo. You can also absorb your department into your title, e.g. "Planetary Sciences PhD Student".

To answer your other question, I don't think they are a "necessity". I haven't met many students with cards -- usually we just trade emails but this is an effective way to do that! However, I think it's a good idea (but maybe later on in your grad student life, closer to the job search phase). I think in the "modern" world, with so many grad students, one can no longer afford to just do good work and let people notice you. You have to market yourself and get people to pay attention! So having a business card now when many others do not could help you stand out.

i made business cards for my current job, although it's only a short-term (6 month) gig. i printed off 25 for my stay, and i have 7 or 8 left after a conference a few weekends ago. exchanging cards has been a really easy, convenient way for me to stay in touch with other students, professors, and potential future employers or coworkers. having professional-looking cards at the ready says a lot without saying anything, y'know?

i agree with what zabius and takeru have said: change your title based on your candidacy status as you chug along, and include a link to your work if possible, as well as any fellowship or scholarship titles. what you include depends on what you think is absolutely essential to know about you; personally, on my card, it goes (from top to bottom; all centered except the last line):

company seal

my full name (largest font, darker color)

my full job title (medium font, darker color)

degree received (small font, lighter color)

degree-to-be ("")

emails on left, phone numbers on right (smallest font, darker color)

the color and size differences are pretty subtle so it's not too busy. high quality white cardstock worked nicely. i put a little calvin and hobbes cartoon that reminds me of why i love my field of work so much on the back for a personal touch, but i made sure to leave space in case they asked me to write something extra.

My business cards have been invaluable at conferences and seem to garner a lot of positive response.  I tried to make the design reflect my love for math, but still keep things useful for a non-math recipient of the card.  The printed cards have rounded corners, and what looks grey on the screen is actually a metallic silver ink.  As pears suggested, I keep enough room that I can jot down other information if needed.  I like to think that when I'm handing someone a business card, it's not just a list of contact info, but rather a 2" x 3.5" sample of my personality.

JOCSFG5.jpg    YPvipY2.jpg

Edited by Ely

My business cards have been invaluable at conferences and seem to garner a lot of positive response.  I tried to make the design reflect my love for math, but still keep things useful for a non-math recipient of the card.  The printed cards have rounded corners, and what looks grey on the screen is actually a metallic silver ink.  As pears suggested, I keep enough room that I can jot down other information if needed.  I like to think that when I'm handing someone a business card, it's not just a list of contact info, but rather a 2" x 3.5" sample of my personality.

JOCSFG5.jpg    YPvipY2.jpg

Cool cards!

I've had mixed reviews on this. Seems like grad students think this is a great idea but non-grad students don't. I really wouldn't want to risk as coming across too full of myself. Afterall, I am just a student. 

What do you all think? 

I'm currently an undergrad, have been to three conferences, and have been asked if I had a card by at least one person at every conference (grad students, professors, once a science journalist). Usually it's at my poster after chatting with someone for awhile.

So, while I didn't have my act together enough to have cards at any but the first conference, I don't think it says you're too full of yourself. Honestly, it's just an easy way for someone to get in touch with you afterwards. I received/asked for cards from a few people and used them to send emails the week after.

My design is my name in medium dark font, my university in small dark font on the next line, and my phone number and email in smaller dark font on the next line, with a simple sketch of the skeleton of my main study organism in the background. Clean and simple.

That said, I'm in a fairly friendly/laid-back science field, so YMMV.

I've had mixed reviews on this. Seems like grad students think this is a great idea but non-grad students don't. I really wouldn't want to risk as coming across too full of myself. Afterall, I am just a student. 

What do you all think? 

If I ever get business cards, I would probably do manierata does and preface the card with something like "this might be really pretentious..." and hope that smooths over anyone who thinks the cards are stupid. But what do you mean by "non-grad students"? Do you mean post-docs and profs? Or do you mean people not in academia. If it's the former, then if you are really worried I would either do what manierata does, or wait until they ask for the card. Or you can leave the cards by a poster if you're presenting and let people decide whether or not to pick it up. 

I think it would be important to be smart on when to hand out your card. You wouldn't want to do it to everyone you meet, and I think it might put people in an uncomfortable situation if they don't want your card but feel like it would be impolite to refuse it. I would probably only hand them out at a conference if for example, someone comes up to me and we have a really interesting discussion about our research and we feel like we want to continue the conversation. So if it gets to the point where it wouldn't be weird to ask them for their email address, then it wouldn't be weird to offer them your card.

You know what's more irritating to a potential contact than the alleged pretentiousness of your business card? Waiting for you to scrabble about in your bag for a pen and paper, and then having to remember to keep the bizarre scrap (which may be mistaken for trash).   :)

I wouldn't hand out the cards like candy, but if someone asks you for a card, it's really best for everyone if you have one available. They're not setting up a sneaky judgment trap; they really just want your contact information in a compact, easily legible form.

When I did my masters many of us had business cards.  The local kinkos (before fedex) had the school logo and colors already available and the title we used was MBA Student.  But this was business school and we all fancied ourselves as future CEOs, CIOs and CFOs.  

I now have business cards for my blog and photo business, so I'll just keep using these.

Another thing you want to consider when setting up your business cards is your contact number.  I use a Google Voice number for several reasons:

• I can control who is able to contact me.  If I don't want to hear from someone, Google Voice screens the calls for me.
  • I never have to worry about changing my phone number.  If I change cell phone providers, I just update the info on the Google Voice site and it automatically forwards to my new cell phone.
  • I can control which phones ring.  The Google Voice number can forward to multiple phones, so I can have those calls ring on my cell, my home, and my office phone all at the same time.  I don't run the risk of missing calls.
  • Voicemails and texts can easily be forwarded to your email address.  Even if you don't have a cell signal, you'll still know that someone called.
  • I got to pick my own number.  For me it was mathy.  You may want to search for a number that ties in with your field of study or that spells something easy to remember.

I've been a happy user since beta, and highly recommend the service.

I really need them because of the number of potential field sites for my research. I can't do anything about it until I have an official @ku.edu email, and I don't know when that'll happen.

You should be able to create an email at KU. I haven't formally accepted their offer yet, but I managed to do it.

Edited by Gauche